Thread: Future Florida Licensed Optician's Reconsider

nnms11

Future Florida Licensed Optician's Reconsider

I am a Florida Licensed Optician for the past 2 years. I love the field, however, when I went to school in Tampa a few years ago, the students were told there is a great need for Florida Licensed Opticians. Please do not believe this. I am sure other schools say the same. Actually, there are very few openings for Licensed Opticians. The schools are trying to fill their classrooms full of students and upon graduation flooding the areas with Licensed Opticians, when there are very few openings. I check the POF web site and there are only a handfull of jobs. The private doctor's offices pay very little and the chain stores have the most unreliable schedules and hours to work. Is it the recession? I do not know, however, I have been somewhat disappointed in the so-call need for Licensed Opticians. Private doctors say they need "opticians", however, they do not really want to pay for our skills. The private offices call some of they people opticians, when in fact, they are not allowed to call any employee an optician unless they are Licensed in the State of Florida.

I love the Opticianry field and would love to find a good secure position in a company that really cares about the patients. I know that the people I have helped have made me feel worthy. If it were not for the school and the great knowledge I have learned, this would not have happened.

Students, please do more research and see if there are job openings in this field and do not be misled. As in any field, see what the future holds for job openings and its potential.

I look forward to hear any feedback.

Thank you.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You missed the mark!

Try going to the job board and looking around. There are plenty of openings in Florida....and elsewhere. With your Fla credentials you shouldn't have any problem becoming licensed in another state.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

Don't give up! I have been in the industry, in Florida, for 25 years and have enjoyed my career. I have never had difficulty finding employment. There have been times when I did not like where I was or the hours but every place is a stepping stone and you will learn something from each place you work. I do work in private practice now and the pay is extremely good. Perhaps that is due to my experience but there are Doctors who want the knowledge and experience of a licensed optician and pay well so.. don't give up. Try using our network and ask your frame reps or lab reps. They can pass the word quickly.

Good luck

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi nnms,

Keep looking...they are out there...

I Posted a note to you, please feel free to contact me and I will help.

: )

Laurie

Bad address email on file Mark Miller- POF's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Reconsider some more...

You may be right that the openings may be tight in your area, but there plenty of openings Statewide. The POF Career Board web site has listings for more than two dozen openings. I also get requests in to the POF office regularly from employers looking for good LDOs and there is a critical shortage in of opticians in Northwest Florida.

With only two years in the field, you might not be able to be selective in your place of employment as you will be once you have more experience on your resume.

I suggest you stick with it – it will be worth it to you in the long run…

Best wishes and let me if there is anything that we can do you.

mm

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Market yourself...

With your license and if you have the ability to lead people and manage a business, then you should have NO problem finding good work, healthy pay and secure hours. The key is to have the additional skill set so that you can differentiate yourself from the other opticians. No doubt that quality opticians who can mentor and lead others are in high demand.

Good Luck

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "With only two years in the field, you might not be able to be selective in your place of employment as you will be once you have more experience on your resume.

I suggest you stick with it – it will be worth it to you in the long run…

Best wishes and let me if there is anything that we can do you."

mm[/quote]

Mark,
    A very nice way of saying you need a little more time and experience. So many of the newly licensed (or younger generation) expect everything upon graduation. Who is feeding them this info. that they are entitled to the best job conditions and pay. I don't know any college grads who start their career in the perfect job.

Bad address email on file L.A.B.'s Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello, If you are interested in the St.Pete area, I heard that Dr. Joel Morantz is looking for someone. It's very good hours and a great office.

Thread Information