Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Craziest things you've heard from patients...

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Spray-on hair. If I didn't actually remember the commercials, I wouldn't have believed it. :drop:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This was another optician not a patient but I had a pair of Maui Jims and she was missing hers. She looked at mine and said that I had stolen them from her and was calling the police. She knew this for a fact because the numbers on the inside of the temple were a serial number. I asked her how long she had been an "optician" and informed her that was a patent number that glasses arent like stereos and Tvs and do not have a serial number!! :hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    THe transitions thing happened 5 times this week.
    Pt: "These don't change like my old ones."
    Me: "These new Transitions lenses get darker than ever before"
    Pt: "But these don't work"
    Me: "take them off and look at them" or "take off your hat" or "get out of the car" - which ever is applicable.
    Pt: "Oh"

I really don't understand it.
    Oh man, I get the same thing everyday too and I mean everyday.

PT: These just don't get as dark as my old ones. I ask, 'Were your old ones glass"? PT: Yes. Is your car older then a 80's model? No. Do you wear hats? One lady used her umbrella out in the sun and was upset because her lenese wouldn't turn. I tell folks, just wait until winter , they'll change if they don't get dark enough for you now. haha.
    I tell them glass tends to get alittle darker then pastic but are heavier and not as safe. There are also different brands of photocromic lenses. Example:The sunsensor by Corning doesn't seem to get as dark as the transitions. Theres really only 4 % diff. anyway unless I'm mistaken.
    I tell them to give them time, the older they get, the darker they get and to try putting them in the frig overnite. I also use my magic 'drawer' I guess I could say. ( smile) I put them in there for a week and then call the pt or mail them out and the pt seems satisfied.
    :)

Bad address email on file Theresa1's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ajboon View Post
    had a Lady call me a Jack ### because I wouldn't give her a refund for a box of opened contact lenses she purchased the day before and wanted to return them so she could buy them cheaper on line.

I also had a guy tell me after spending 20 minutes with him that he wasn't going to buy glasses from me because he was going to buy the exact same pair on line. :hammer:
    We get that at our practice too. It's as if the patient thinks we will say "oh, don't do that! we will give you 90% off your CL/EG purchase if you buy them from us!" Good, get your frames/contacts online and watch them either not fit or you can't exchange them.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    She returned her Maui Jim Polarized sunglasses, because her vision is just too clear! (She didn't like it, blurry is much better :0) ha ha)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh and and America's Best commercial. Free Eye Exam and two pairs of free glasses! Everything is free! They are in business to give you free stuff. That's pretty cool!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    #$*& America's Best. I make a point of not disparaging other opticals, but I'd love to tell the truth about that one. I don't know how they keep suckering people in. Just last week we had a patient come in the day after ordering for a refund because she'd gone there after leaving our office and bought four pairs for what she paid for two at our place. She was wearing an older AB pair, which were fugly and ill fitting, with peeling AR. She thought they were great - "I got these there last year!"

Can somebody explain to me why people continue to shop once they've already purchased something? If I just ordered two pairs of glasses, I would not stop at three other places on my way home to keep looking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a local optical shop that would do exams and order glasses for the pt. and THEN instruct the pt. to come to our store for one hour service and refund the glasses when the original order comes in!
    I know LC doesn't have a lot of fans on this board, but seriously, that just isn't right. I would cringe whenever I'd get an Rx from that Dr, I just knew I'd be wasting my time, cause they would most always refund!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician Magician View Post
    I had a local optical shop that would do exams and order glasses for the pt. and THEN instruct the pt. to come to our store for one hour service and refund the glasses when the original order comes in!
    I know LC doesn't have a lot of fans on this board, but seriously, that just isn't right. I would cringe whenever I'd get an Rx from that Dr, I just knew I'd be wasting my time, cause they would most always refund!
    That is just so wrong.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I were you, I would contact the Dr. personally and just advise him that I would not be filling any more of his Rx's and to please not refer any more of his patients to my place of business. If a patient happens to come in with a Rx from him, then I'd advise him/her of the policy due to his unethical business practices. You may lose a few dollars but in the end, you'll end up saving more money.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician Magician View Post
    Oh, man...that's lllooowwww!

I remember a time when I had a lady come in to pick up her glasses, which she complained about...too thick..too big...too whatever, so to appease the situation, I helped her pick something else out, she picked those up and the RX 'didn't "feel" right' so back to the doc she goes, only to find we had a doctor's change...oh, boy...well, somehow in the middle of all of this, she broke her own pr of glasses, and decided to go to LC to get another pair...she brings them to me telling me how much she loves them, but would like for me to adjust them, so I do...then she starts complaining about the pair that I was in the process of making for her, so, long-story-short, I (politely) gave her a refund because it was apparent that I could not make her happy...she was shocked and all she could stutter was..'well, now what am I going to do with these LC glasses, I didn't want them to begin with, I just wanted something to get me through!' :angry: :drop::angry: It's amazing to me what people will do, sometimes!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

family history and purpose of visit

Our receptionist kept a straight face when the response to her question," And what can we do for you today?" was, "I'm here to get my Cadillacs checked. Later on the family history, the same patient's mother had galacaloma. A terrible disease.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a local O.D. (also a druggie) come by my office when I first opened and tell me that since he was just across the highway, he would refract any patient and be happy to send them back to me (he also advertised eye exam and glasses $58.00, although his average patient dropped $480.00). I soon found that people were coming in and shopping my shop, letting me fill out the order, and promising to bring Rx in the next day. The next day the good doctor or his employee was calling me for the frame selected so he could sell it to them.

Chip

I keep telling you, education and licenseing has nothing to do with puting integrity or honor in the profession.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The next day the good doctor or his employee was calling me for the frame selected so he could sell it to them.
    Terrible. I wouldn't have given them the name of the frame. That is so nervy!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Terrible. I wouldn't have given them the name of the frame. That is so nervy!
    When an obvious "shopper" asks for a name, we write down "Bob", "Bill", "Jack", or whatever comes to mind. I once had someone question me and I said, "You asked for the name, we call it Bill. You can name it whatever you want after you purchase it." Never saw them again.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I think these shoppers were clients in good faith when in my office and the "doctor's" office was either underselling me (he didn't carry the expensive inventory I did at the time) or convinceing the patient that it would be more "convienent" to just get them in his office.

Chip

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually I think these shoppers were clients in good faith when in my office and the "doctor's" office was either underselling me (he didn't carry the expensive inventory I did at the time) or convincing the patient that it would be more "convenient" to just get them in his office.

Chip
    Yes, that could be. Still, I don't think I would have to give them the frame name the patient picked out. I do all the work frame styling someone and they get to make the glasses? :(

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We had a client choose a frame from us then went to Mr X who told them he could supply it cheaper. Mr X did not have an account with the frame company and so contacted us asking for the frame at cost ... how we laughed...we said yes.. of course you can buy the frame..you may buy it for the retail price.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Had a local O.D. (also a druggie) come by my office when I first opened and tell me that since he was just across the highway, he would refract any patient and be happy to send them back to me (he also advertised eye exam and glasses $58.00, although his average patient dropped $480.00). I soon found that people were coming in and shopping my shop, letting me fill out the order, and promising to bring Rx in the next day. The next day the good doctor or his employee was calling me for the frame selected so he could sell it to them.

Chip

I keep telling you, education and licenseing has nothing to do with puting integrity or honor in the profession.
    Chip,
    While the optometrist across the street from you sounds like a cad, this thread is about "the craziest things you've heard from patients". It is not an opportunity to tell yet another dirty optometrist story. I know it's hard, and there are soooo many terrible optometrists out there, but try sticking to the topic.

Keep repeating these words...
    opticians...good
    optometrists...pretty good
    ophthalmologist...good too
    Last edited by fjpod; 09-14-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just registered and I guess I'm in trouble already....does it matter if the topic strays a little? Judging by the replies there are some members here who are happy for further discussion.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Couldn't agree more.......

I enjoyed reading all the stories, even if they strayed off topic a bit.

Thread Information