Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Craziest things you've heard from patients...

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    THe transitions thing happened 5 times this week.
    Pt: "These don't change like my old ones."
    Me: "These new Transitions lenses get darker than ever before"
    Pt: "But these don't work"
    Me: "take them off and look at them" or "take off your hat" or "get out of the car" - which ever is applicable.
    Pt: "Oh"

I really don't understand it.
    Do you always tell your patients up front that Transitions don't change in a car?

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by happylady View Post
    do you always tell your patients up front that transitions don't change in a car?

every single one!!!!!!!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Do you always tell your patients up front that Transitions don't change in a car?
    It is unbelievable how many times you can tell a pt that and they STILL come back and whine about it.

We had a woman come in and I was the lucky one that got to deal with her. She was sweet as could be but just did NOT GET IT. She had a very old pair of photogray lenses that weighed a ton, and she wanted them made exactly the same. HAD to have glass lenses. Sorry lady, we don't do glass. AKA you're not getting photogray, but you CAN have Transitions!! Let me tell you about them!!

We probably went through that circle 10 times. So anyway, after she picks her new glasses up she calls us and says "My lenses don't darken in front of the stove like they used to! WHY?!?!" :hammer:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opt2012 View Post
    It is unbelievable how many times you can tell a pt that and they STILL come back and whine about it.

We had a woman come in and I was the lucky one that got to deal with her. She was sweet as could be but just did NOT GET IT. She had a very old pair of photogray lenses that weighed a ton, and she wanted them made exactly the same. HAD to have glass lenses. Sorry lady, we don't do glass. AKA you're not getting photogray, but you CAN have Transitions!! Let me tell you about them!!

We probably went through that circle 10 times. So anyway, after she picks her new glasses up she calls us and says "My lenses don't darken in front of the stove like they used to! WHY?!?!" :hammer:
    People always act SO amazed when you tell them they don't darken in a car, too. They just don't understand why it wouldn't.

If someone wants glass photogreys that bad, I would have sold them to her.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, every one. I would rather sell polarized suns. So instead of the "These don't work!!" statement, we would get the "These are GREAT!!" statement.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A new name for me

Oh, the magic shelf. :)
    The magic shelf, I love it!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    A mother brought in a young girl, about 8 years old, with a foreign body irritation. The mother kept asking the girl if her eye was killing her which kept upsetting the girl even more.

Upon examination, the girl asked if she was really going to die from her eye. The mother then realized that her daughter didn't understand that she was only referring to pain, not actual death. The mother looked so upset for terrifying her daughter.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    People always act SO amazed when you tell them they don't darken in a car, too. They just don't understand why it wouldn't.

If someone wants glass photogreys that bad, I would have sold them to her.
    Well, the office I worked for (part of a chain) had a rule about not selling glass lenses. We physically couldn't do it, and didn't have an outside lab or anything. I tried to send her elsewhere but she was "a longtime friend of the doctor", etc. etc.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    A mother brought in a young girl, about 8 years old, with a foreign body irritation. The mother kept asking the girl if her eye was killing her which kept upsetting the girl even more.

Upon examination, the girl asked if she was really going to die from her eye. The mother then realized that her daughter didn't understand that she was only referring to pain, not actual death. The mother looked so upset for terrifying her daughter.

The first OD I worked for had this happen. A young girl came in for an exam and was being unruly. He mother scolded her by saying "If you don't straighten up, I'll have the Doctor give you a shot - in your eye!"

The OD took Mom aside and read her the riot act. Then told the girl that this is one doctor's office where you definitely DON'T have to worry about getting a shot. The girl was cooperative after that.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once my co-worker and I were chatting while a mother and daughter were in our contact lens room putting in a new pair of contacts. When we heard funny "slapping" noises coming from the room, we went in to find the mother and teenage daughter literally standing toe to toe slapping each other silly. When we intervened, the daughter gave her mother a kick. We got them out of there and on their way quick.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by opt2012 View Post
    I've had patients insist that previous specs did everything short of raising the dead.

One of my favorite "used to" stories:

I worked in an independent optical that had contracts for safety glasses with several local companies (at an appallingly small margin). I had just finished writing up an orderfor company supplied safety glasses, when the patient casually said something about "of course, you'll make a second set of lenses."

"Second set?"

"Yes, you make two sets of lenses and keep one on hand in case something happens to the first pair. You only bill the company if I use them."

My boss, the owner, happened to overhear part of the conversation and stepped in. The man repeated what he'd said, and my boss replied that no, we don't do that.

The man leaned back in his chair and said, "Son, I don't know how long you've worked here, but I've been coming in for years and that's always been the policy."

My boss just quietly said, "Sir, I'm the owner and I've never had that policy."

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    He said he had this magic box back in the lab, where, if he put the maladjusted frames on this big X in this box, that it would automatically bench aligned their glasses. He would really just take them back into the lab and do nothing to them, take them back out, put them on their face, and they were astonished at the results!
    My father's solution to the glasses that the patient complained about but that were just fine: "We'll send those back to the lab and we'll call you when they're ready." He'd then take the glasses, clean them carefully, write "w.o." on the patient's record-card and file them with the finished jobs. In about a week, we'd call the patient. The glasses were always just fine after that.

"w.o." stood for "wipe off." ;)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've only used the magic shelf once. We did everything to make sure the glasses were okay including another exam with the doctor. I was hesitant to do it but my boss at the time wanted to try it.

Something about sitting on the shelf for a week fixed whatever was wrong with her glasses. ;) She was so pleased with them after that. I saw her a couple of times after that for very minor adjustments and she never had another problem with them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think most people just get it in their head that because the glasses don't feel exactly the same as their old pair, there MUST be something wrong with them. Just the vindication of you agreeing with them makes them feel better about the new pair, which is why they're magically better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I think most people just get it in their head that because the glasses don't feel exactly the same as their old pair, there MUST be something wrong with them. Just the vindication of you agreeing with them makes them feel better about the new pair, which is why they're magically better.
    Plus after wearing their old pair for a week, they actually ARE better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where can you buy a magic shelf? Or can I just sprinkle pixie dust on an existing shelf? My husband has a magic dresser. Whatever he takes out and wears and throws in the hamper magically reappears fresh and clean right back in the drawer.

Oh yeah......vacation starts TODAY!!!! Woooooo!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    Where can you buy a magic shelf? Or can I just sprinkle pixie dust on an existing shelf? My husband has a magic dresser. Whatever he takes out and wears and throws in the hamper magically reappears fresh and clean right back in the drawer.

Oh yeah......vacation starts TODAY!!!! Woooooo!

I am the only licensed distributor of the FezzJohns(R) Magic Optical Shelf(TM). The shelves retail for $99.95 + $24.99 shipping & handling. Each Magic Optical Shelf(TM) will hold up to 4 orders simultaneously. The recommended hold time for each job will vary between 3 days and 2 weeks depending on job parameters and difficulty of Magic Repair.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    I am the only licensed distributor of the FezzJohns(R) Magic Optical Shelf(TM). The shelves retail for $99.95 + $24.99 shipping & handling. Each Magic Optical Shelf(TM) will hold up to 4 orders simultaneously. The recommended hold time for each job will vary between 3 days and 2 weeks depending on job parameters and difficulty of Magic Repair.

Hey Bob, is that available for three easy payments of $33 per month? And if I call within the next 15 minutes, can I get the second shelf free, as long as I pay the extra shipping and handling?? Does it also come with the Ronco Ginzu Chef Knife and Spatula?

I am sold if it does......

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the winter, the magic shelf is replaced with the magic salt pan. Walking out into the cold with a nice newly-warmed pair of spectacles on is the best way to fix many problems.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used to give them a "uv" treatment. Cleaned them well and then set them in a nice sunny window for a bit. Made them nice and warm in the winter.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    how soon we have forgotten about my magic box. The advantage here is that one doesn't have to keep them on a shelf for a week, you just take them into your back room, put them on the X on the magic box, and, viola! the patient doesn't have to come back, or anything. Now what would you pay for this incredible service? Many pay $99.95 plus $29.95 for S@H for a Magic Optical Shelf TM)which takes a minimum of a week to work, where the box is instantaneous. One would expect to pay $99.95 for The Magic Box,but, If you order within the next 20 minutes, you will get the Magic Box not for $99.95, not even $79.95, but the unheard of price of $49.95 plus $43.76 S@H. bUT, THERE'S MORE, we have decided, for our introductory offer, to add a special microweave cleaning cloth, only slightly used in for absolutely free, it usually retails for $19.95! So, hurry and order your Magic Box right now. Operators are standing by.(Magic Optical Shelf is a trademark of FezzJohns Inc., who are soley responsible for their illusion.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wouldn't you just love to bring out a magic shelf job and after the patient tells you how much better everything is, tell them you did nothing? lol...maybe the day I retire. I'd just love to see their face.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeFitWell View Post
    Wouldn't you just love to bring out a magic shelf job and after the patient tells you how much better everything is, tell them you did nothing? lol...maybe the day I retire. I'd just love to see their face.
    They would never believe you. They think you are trying to pull something on them. Never mind the fact that you just did.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by specti-wolf View Post
    Hey Bob, is that available for three easy payments of $33 per month? And if I call within the next 15 minutes, can I get the second shelf free, as long as I pay the extra shipping and handling?? Does it also come with the Ronco Ginzu Chef Knife and Spatula?

I am sold if it does......
    Wolf
    We are currently out of teh Ginzu Chef Knife. However, I will offer 2 cans of spray on hair in its place.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Wolf
    We are currently out of teh Ginzu Chef Knife. However, I will offer 2 cans of spray on hair in its place.
    Nah... that spray hair-in-a-can may work for heads, but I tried it on my legs one summer when I was going to visit Germany, and it didn't stick very well. Will wait for the knife to become available! ;)

Thread Information