Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New lows in patient behavior

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Back when I worked for a doc, we had a SCARY couple come in, the guy was wearing a long black trench coat and actually had face tattoos, shifty eyes, you know the type. We were all watching them like hawks as they said they didnt want any help and we were afraid they would make off with some sunglasses or something. So then the guy actually asks me if he could have "some of those drops that make your pupils big" because "when he shoots up his pupils get reeeeaaalllly tiny."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Once had a mother and teenage daughter get into a slap-fest in the office. They stood slapping each other silly, and they were the most attractive mother/daughter pair I ever saw, and were visiting fro0m England. We had to ask them to leave, and while we did that, the daughter gave her mother a kick.

Those wacky Brits! All the time emulating Punch and Judy!:D:D:cheers::D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahMP584 View Post
    Back when I worked for a doc, we had a SCARY couple come in, the guy was wearing a long black trench coat and actually had face tattoos, shifty eyes, you know the type. We were all watching them like hawks as they said they didnt want any help and we were afraid they would make off with some sunglasses or something. So then the guy actually asks me if he could have "some of those drops that make your pupils big" because "when he shoots up his pupils get reeeeaaalllly tiny."
    Mydriatic drugs are cheaper if you buy them by the gallon, so you get the bulk rate.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    We had a lady come in for a refraction once, and as soon as she sat in the chair she started whistling songs, would not stop
    LOL We had a guy come in with his wife while she was getting an exam he started playing his harmonica! I was so shocked I just stood there with my mouth hanging open! :drop:I was later informed by the receptionists that he does that everytime either he or his wife come in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    I don't need an award, having craploads of cool stories like this makes being an adventure magnet fun :) If I didn't have a sense of humor, it might be a problem. Well, there was no humor in the child abuse story, that just pi$$ed me off (we are adopting a 15 year old boy out of the foster system, so it really hit home with me!!). At least maybe I made a difference for the kids. I hope.
    Maybe a Weirdo Magnet lol. That is insane! I believe it though people are so crazy anymore!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient come in and ask for new nosepads. While I was changing them, he began pacing back and forth almost pulling his hair out repeating, "Oh, God! Oh, God!" When I was done, he walked up to my manager and asked her if it was "normal" for me to have put my fingers "all over" his lenses in the process. I cleaned them before handing them back...OCD maybe?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    Once had a mother and teenage daughter get into a slap-fest in the office. They stood slapping each other silly, and they were the most attractive mother/daughter pair I ever saw, and were visiting fro0m England. We had to ask them to leave, and while we did that, the daughter gave her mother a kick.

maybe they weren't really mother and daughter ;)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i had one guy came back from prison after a year told me he was wearing the same pair of contacts for a full year without taking them off, he was ok with getting into glasses but when i asked him to take off the old contacts it took him half hour to take it off and it made a popping noise when the contacts came off

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper An old weird story....................

Back in 1954 when I was in my first year of the opticians apprenticeship in one of the most fashionable stores in Lausanne Switzerland where European royalty bought their glasses, I had an encounter with the Aga Kahn III (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aga_Khan_III)

Some morning one of his servants brought one of his metal frames for a solder job, which I had to do. We phoned the Palace hotel that is was ready, and they could pick it up. Answer was they had no time and we should deliver, again which was my job and bring some pliers along.

I walked down, a seven minute walk, was told that the whole 5 floor was occupied by the Aga and his staff. Went up and was told that he wanted some adjustment. He never said hello or anything while I did my bit of adjusting and then waived his secretary to come and said: "pay him".
    The secretary handed me a 100.00 Frank note, for the job that was 5.00 Franks and I had no change making only 20.00 a whole month.
    So the Aga made a slight wave with his hand and said "keep it". Was the biggest tip I ever made in my life. Went back to the store and bought a chocolate on the way to break the 100.00 note and paid my boss the 5 Franks.

That same night the Aga, had an accident, did not make it to the washroom and called hotel staff to clean up, which they refused right up to the general manager who got called in, as the story goes.

By mid of next morning the hotel got bought up by the Aga, who fired everybody, and that was all over the newspapers. The then re-sold the hotel again a year later.

But I really enjoyed the balance of my soldering job tip, more than four month of regular pay. :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by DestinieNicole View Post
    Maybe a Weirdo Magnet lol. That is insane! I believe it though people are so crazy anymore!

Oh another good one... diabetic patient had a toe removed the previous day. As I was refracting him, his daughter thought that might be the PERFECT time to change the dressing on the foot, so there she is, at his feet, changing the dressing on an amputated toe, while I'm refracting and oggling the whole thing over her shoulder (good thing I'm a woman and can thus multitask as well as have a fairly strong stomach!)

And then there was the woman who was shopping at walmart one day while I was filling in for a friend of mine. She swung by the vision center and asked to talk with me. I walked out, she said 'my son was shot in the eye with a BB gun, is that something that needs to get checked out'. My jaw dropped. When I told her yes, she said 'ok, I'll bring him in here'. Uh, ok. He had traumatic glaucoma, commotio retinae, corneal edema, hyphema, what a mess. My friend had a fit when he realized that I was treating the kid and he would have to see him on follow up (eye disease scared him at the time). I had to give him step by step instructions on following the case :p He did fine though.

Oh, and the funny looking patient I had... I asked him what happened that a large chunk of his skull and his entire left eye was missing (old injury). Turned out he decided one day, while drunk, that cleaning his rifle was the best thing he could do with his time. Yep, it was loaded.

And the patient on work release who called prison 'a high school reunion'. That was my first clue that Chambersburg School District might not be the place for my future kids....

Then there was the guy who informed me that after we die, God puts our souls into robots, after all, biology is flawed but robots are perfect. He must not use computers very often.

A great patient, very funny... Catholic priest... was giving me some great beer recommendations (Chimay... blue label, of course) and told me "I'm Catholic, I'm a priest, what else do I have to do but drink?" :cheers: He's one of my favorite patients, I love his sense of humor.

Ok, I think that's it for stories for now.... give me a few hours and I'll have more to add.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was the kid with the BB in his eye named "Raphie" by any chance?

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    On the patient history form:
    Employer: FAA

Do you use alcohol? If so, what kind, how much and how often?" (or something to that effect...)

"Yes. Beer. As much as possible, as often as possible."

I already hate flying....arg!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by peregrinerose View Post
    I had a patient ask to have sex with me, when I refused on the grounds I was happily married, he invited my husband to be included in a threesome.
    Thats a good one. I would have looked him straight in the eye and said "That costs extra" LOL

~Crazy:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

We had doosey today!!!

A man came in a couple weeks ago and ordered glasses. We allow them to pay half down and the rest when they pick up. The man was very old and asked if he could pay in thirds since he didn't have that much money on him. So we made an exception and let him put down 1/3rd assuming he'd pay the another 1/3rd sometime between now and when the glasses were done and then the final payment at dispense. So, he never came back in to pay the 2nd of the 3 payments but we just let it ride and called him when they were in. He came in today to pick them up and is refusing to pay the full balance. He says we agreed to let him make 3 payments and it isn't his fault that the glasses came in before he thought they would. I know, stay with me.......lol So, we try tell him that no matter how many payments he wanted to make, it has to be payed in full before the product leaves the store. He said we were trying to rip him off and stormed out. Calgon, take me away!!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A woman had brought a handicapped man into the optical to have his eyes checked. While waiting for the exam, she asked if she could bring him into the women's bathroom so that she could help him into the stall. We said of course, and I waited outside the door so that I could let any female patients know what was going on so that they would wait. After about 10 minutes, I and the 3 women who were waiting, heard a lot of moaning and calling out to God. Looking at eachother, I opened the door and peeped in. Yep, you guessed it! They were having sex in the bathroom! The 60 year old lady who was standing behind me waiting said, "OMG Jerry! What are you doing?" Turns out he was one of her coworkers and a greeter at Walmart. And the woman wasn't his wife, but his sister in law. I love living in a small southern town.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

gotta love the drunks

Many years ago when I worked for a large optical chain that a certain frame company bought around 1998 we had a really weird patient. He came in and got an exam, we made the glasses, which he said were fine, then left. Came back in a few days later and said he can't see out of the glasses, so he got rechecked and we made a new pair. I kept the old lenses (something told me to), and sure enough he was back a week later. Turns out he got his eyes checked when he was sober and could see fine out of them, but they were blurry when he was drunk. The new rx was done when he was drunk and he couldn't see out of them when he was sober. The GM looked at him and said - and I quote - "Why don't you get a second pair, since you see great with one prescription when you're sober and the other prescription when you're drunk?" He denied it at first, until she leaned in and told him the brand of vodka he drank that day from the smell of his breath. Apparently it was popular with one of her relatives and that's how she recognized it. He laughed and said OK and bought a second pair that I put the original lenses I saved in them. He left happy.

If I come home and say I had a crazy day at work, my daughter asks if it's a full moon. She's 11! Gotta teach her about the crazies early!!!:hammer:
    "You can't think about it, you just gotta let your brain do the work....."
    my dad

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jcasowder View Post
    Many years ago when I worked for a large optical chain that a certain frame company bought around 1998 we had a really weird patient. He came in and got an exam, we made the glasses, which he said were fine, then left. Came back in a few days later and said he can't see out of the glasses, so he got rechecked and we made a new pair. I kept the old lenses (something told me to), and sure enough he was back a week later. Turns out he got his eyes checked when he was sober and could see fine out of them, but they were blurry when he was drunk. The new rx was done when he was drunk and he couldn't see out of them when he was sober. The GM looked at him and said - and I quote - "Why don't you get a second pair, since you see great with one prescription when you're sober and the other prescription when you're drunk?" He denied it at first, until she leaned in and told him the brand of vodka he drank that day from the smell of his breath. Apparently it was popular with one of her relatives and that's how she recognized it. He laughed and said OK and bought a second pair that I put the original lenses I saved in them. He left happy.

If I come home and say I had a crazy day at work, my daughter asks if it's a full moon. She's 11! Gotta teach her about the crazies early!!!:hammer:
    The fact that this happens is *not*, IMHO...crazy.

What *is* crazy is that people like this can vote!

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    At the store I own and run we allow people to leave post dated cheques and take the glasses home. In essence we TRUST THEM! We havent been burned in 8 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by shelleygirl View Post
    A man came in a couple weeks ago and ordered glasses. We allow them to pay half down and the rest when they pick up. The man was very old and asked if he could pay in thirds since he didn't have that much money on him. So we made an exception and let him put down 1/3rd assuming he'd pay the another 1/3rd sometime between now and when the glasses were done and then the final payment at dispense. So, he never came back in to pay the 2nd of the 3 payments but we just let it ride and called him when they were in. He came in today to pick them up and is refusing to pay the full balance. He says we agreed to let him make 3 payments and it isn't his fault that the glasses came in before he thought they would. I know, stay with me.......lol So, we try tell him that no matter how many payments he wanted to make, it has to be payed in full before the product leaves the store. He said we were trying to rip him off and stormed out. Calgon, take me away!!!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually they seem to be in a majority judging from the last election. For sure we have one as speaker of the house.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Actually they seem to be in a majority judging from the last election. For sure we have one as speaker of the house.
    Actually, we just voted those people out of office! Majority Rules!!
    Get over it or get out.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Majority and what's best for the country does not apply when the majority wants whats best for themselves.

Thread Information