Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your preferred freeform lenses?

Bad address email on file Eric the Eye Guy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Hoya

Nobody mentioned Hoya ID and ID Lifestyle...

For my money, the BEST free form on the market. Expensive, yes, but hasn't an equal.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Eye Guy View Post
    Nobody mentioned Hoya ID and ID Lifestyle...

For my money, the BEST free form on the market. Expensive, yes, but hasn't an equal.
    I absolutely agree with you *shameless plugging, here!* but I didn't want to be biased!

Occupation
    Eric, welcome to Optiboard!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::che ers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bt5050 View Post
    In addition to all the benefits of Harmonix Technology, the Accolade Freedom lens design also includes FrameOptimiza-tion™ Technology.
    The Autograph 2 also incorporates the frame measurements in the design. They call it "FreeFrame Technology."

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Seiko/Pentax owns the patents on back surface freeform progressives, so all the other companies that do a back surface only pay them a royalty. They seem to have a good price point too. Having said that, I think the Autograph II is the most sophisticated design right now.

J
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe Seiko's patent is on their design parameters and not on any design that is incorporated onto a back suface of a lens.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz...have you tried the Rodenstock Multi Gressiv with the high cyls patients yet??? Works really well but due to high price you need to pick your patients.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Seiko/Pentax owns the patents on back surface freeform progressives, so all the other companies that do a back surface only pay them a royalty. They seem to have a good price point too. Having said that, I think the Autograph II is the most sophisticated design right now.

J
    You may want to take a closer look as to who owns the back suface patents. If i am not mistaken Zeiss holds the back surface patent and Seiko is the one paying the royalty, Also HDV has a varaible corridor length.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been wearing Progressives for nearly ten years, I find the Seiko Succeed is my Go To Lens. Honestly, It's twice as good as Lenses twice the Price. I Use the Autograph II for Higher Presciptions.

The Rodenstock Mutligressiv is Great but I've had too many Service Issues with Rodenstock Labs.

And a Big Shout Out to Whomever designed the Autograph Single Vision.
    Good Lord dispensing that Lens Makes Me Happy Like a Little Girl

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Autograph SV

Welcome to OptiBoard!!!!!!
    :cheers:

Can you elaborate on where you feel the Autograph SV shines and in what cases you like to Rx it?

Thanks!

John

Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeOptician View Post
    I've been wearing Progressives for nearly ten years, I find the Seiko Succeed is my Go To Lens. Honestly, It's twice as good as Lenses twice the Price. I Use the Autograph II for Higher Presciptions.

The Rodenstock Mutligressiv is Great but I've had too many Service Issues with Rodenstock Labs.

And a Big Shout Out to Whomever designed the Autograph Single Vision.
    Good Lord dispensing that Lens Makes Me Happy Like a Little Girl

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I generally recommend the AutoGraph SV to Patients with a cyl between 2-5 diopters or a sphere over 5 diopters. I've had patients literally Squeal with Delight when I dispensed their -14 diopter lenses.
    It's a Highly Recommended Addition to any Independent's War Chest against the Chains

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are talking about the new Clean N' Clear, the ENTIRE job is supposed to go through your private lab and you use the special lens procedure. To calculate the patient cost, calculate your U&C for the lens PLUS the AR, subtract 20% and then subtract your progressive allowance and dispensing fee. There is NO chargeback, because you have to pay the lab. Goto Eyefinity -> VSP online -> Special lens calculator (on top left), enter your U&C and progressive dispensing fee. Not sure what it is, call VSP.
    I created a calculator for these in an Excel spreadsheet for our office. If anyone would like a copy, you can email or pm me and I will email it to you with instructions on how to easily modify it for your office. It may save you time by not having to log in and/or having to reenter your contracted vsp fees (they are saved in the calculator).

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    vsp codes
    who can explain the best codes for maximum pal and free form reimbursement?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ayoco View Post
    vsp codes
    who can explain the best codes for maximum pal and free form reimbursement?
    -n

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    For Signature plan: the chargeback for progressives is EXACTLY equal to the patient out of pocket (OOP), so from a profit point of view it makes no difference.

For example the Autograph II is a "N" progressive OOP is $119 in CR39 and the chargeback is $119. The Younger image is a "L" class progressive with OOP $71 and the chargeback is...$71.

The profit comes from the dispensing fee, which is the same for both and the options, which is the same for both. Therefore, prescribing more expensive progressives makes no additional profit for the practice, unless you feel it differentiates you from your competitors and / or reduces time and money on remakes and non-adapts.

See attached for fees and chargebacks (page 4 shows progressives). Note service fee = profit for practice.

For Signature Choice: more expensive progressives = more profit (in theory) because you collect 80% or your U&C - your standard bifocal price. For example, if your charge $300 for your progressive of choice and $100 for bifocals, you would charge the patient $300-$100 = $200*80% = $160.

If you charge $200 then you get $80 (200-100) * 80%

Hope this helps!

John
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bad address email on file G L A's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Gt23d

G23D THE NEW FREEFROM PROGRESSIVE IS THE BEST .

GT23D is new launch of zeiss and this is the best freefrom progressive. who are using this , they are realy get experience of vision never before.

:)

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    This has been one of my complaints with free-form. The times that I have tried with higher power, cyls, etc, the lab had issues. I have been told the issues are because of high power, high cyl, blah, blah, boring, blah. But, they suggest I send more work in lower powers so they can show me how great free-form is.

Well, I thought the benefits were more noticeable in higher cyls, powers, etc?
    Fezz why do not you like Freform lens ? can you pruve that Freeform lens are not better then Conventional lens? I tried by my custumers and they are very stisfied when they change from Varilux CONFORT To Freeform lenses!!

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmoud.hamza View Post
    can you pruve that Freeform lens are not better then Conventional lens?
    Can you prove that they are better than conventional lenses?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

yes: the progressive area is more near to the eye so the view will be more important for then the conventional lens especely in the hight power the fact Of making the power+ the asphéric disigne + the progression in the same diopter can be better conjugated

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Back to the question...

I really like the Definity... its the lowest priced backside freeform on the market (less than $70 after iDocs discount), , has the widest intermediate area I have ever found, works well with all RX's, is quick (usually less than 6 days with CrizalA), has a ton of material choices (Cr-39 AND Poly Polarized), comes in short and long corridors (the short version has all the same mat choices as long) and about 40% of the time my patients experience no low level distortion at dispense (They can read clearly across the ENTIRE width of the lens the first time they put them on).

Most of my patients are first time progressive wearers, and some adapt in less than 20 minutes. My previous Progressive wearers do the best though. I had one patient who put the lens on, went shopping, came back and poked their head in the door and "Wow, I can see!" and walked back out again!

Although a lot of people say they like thier freeform lens, but few are giving concrete answers to why so I thought I would add some details.

Sharpstick
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 08-16-2008 at 01:44 PM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It's important to be cautious when interpreting manufacturer marketing claims regarding technology. For example, the Varilux Physio 360 does not contain the progressive design on the back surface like some other lenses described in this thread.

Like Physio, the Physio 360 is a front surface progressive design cast with a digitally surfaced mold. The digitally surfaced back side contains atoric curves of the distance RX - not the progressive design.

This technology (similar to the old Rodenstock Multigressive) does provide improved optics to patients with a moderate cylinder correction. Improved that is, over what those patients would experience with the same progressive design, but without an atoric backside.

Occupation

Welcome Aboard, Decades!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It depends.... if you consider 1/100th diopter of surfacing accuracy an improvement over 1/10th D. I believe that the science shows better surfacing accuracy will bend light in a more predictable manner providing more crisp, clear and bright vision. So freeform should be prescribed for those optically sensitive patients that do not have a complex RX.

Thread Information