Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your preferred freeform lenses?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Your preferred freeform lenses?

I'm only 25 years old (been an optician for 5 years), so I cannot test progressive lenses to really get an idea of what I'm dispensing.

That being said, I've recently been dispensing a lot of Kodak Unique freeform lenses (especially since they come with Kodak CleAR and VSP doesn't charge extra for it due to the fact that it is "built in" to the lenses).

However, I'm always trying to figure out what the best and brightest is for my patients. My options are: Kodak unique, Shamir Autograph, Sola HDV, Varliux physio 360, and the Gradal Individual (though I'm inclined against the gradal due to the month-long turn around).

What are your experiences with the above lenses... and beyond that have you tried the first 4? Is one better than another for certain rx's or patients? or is one better overall for everyone?

I have browsed around the forums and haven't really found something really decisive in this regard.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ecliptic; 06-26-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    also... anyone heard anything about the new VSP specific lenses ? (Reveal and reveal freeform)?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    also... anyone heard anything about the new VSP specific lenses ? (Reveal and reveal freeform)?

Private label product. VSP trying to "corral" business since they are getting into the lab industry.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecliptic View Post
    I'm only 25 years old (been an optician for 5 years), so I cannot test progressive lenses to really get an idea of what I'm dispensing.

That being said, I've recently been dispensing a lot of Kodak Unique freeform lenses (especially since they come with Kodak CleAR and VSP doesn't charge extra for it due to the fact that it is "built in" to the lenses).

However, I'm always trying to figure out what the best and brightest is for my patients. My options are: Kodak unique, Shamir Autograph, Sola HDV, Varliux physio 360, and the Gradal Individual (though I'm inclined against the gradal due to the month-long turn around).

What are your experiences with the above lenses... and beyond that have you tried the first 4? Is one better than another for certain rx's or patients? or is one better overall for everyone?

I have browsed around the forums and haven't really found something really decisive in this regard.

Thanks
    Sola HDV is nice, so is the Shamir Autograph. Alot of offices use the Unique but when I ask about it the opticians don't seem wow'd by it so I guess it's ok.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Freeform

Autograph II is new and seems to be an improved design over the original autograph (which I thought was only ok). Remember that ALL back surface progressives must pay a royalty to Seiko/Pentax which patented the design. Therefore, you may want to consider the Pentax Perfas and Seiko Succeed (is that the right name?).

Of the new digital designs, only the Autograph II has variable corridor AND variable inset, which can come in handy with some patients.

Had decent luck with the Unique, which Craig on the board loves.

The big question is, does everyone need digital?

We have had fantastic success with the Shamir Creation and Piccolo, but I believe the digital lenses have a place, especially in high cyl, high lens inset and short B measurement frames.

I am confused about the Unique for VSP. Are you saying that for the $119 charge, the patient gets the lens and the ARC? I thought you had to charge the $119 and the CleAR was the first of a new premium ARC class that we charged differently from ARC A, B and C.

Any insights would be great!!

John

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    it's 119 total. at least for my lab it is. When i get on VSP and pick the unique lenses the A/R is not listed on the lens itself. When you get to the screen where you actually input codes and prices, the A/R is also not listed there... however, when you send the order to the lab, they automatically put the A/R on the lens.

This, as opposed to say the thin and lite 1.74 sv lens... which also comes with A/R automatically. When you select the lens in VSP it lists it with the crizal alize, and when you get to the code input screen the A/R is on that screen.

I called VSP asking about it specifically and they said if it isn't separated, then the patient shouldn't be charged for it .

Thanks for the replies btw ;). My lab guy likes the unique and HDv and says hes only heard great stuff about the autograph... but hasn't had enough experience with it yet.

Maybe i'll try out some autograph 2's ;)

Anyone else with input?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post

We have had fantastic success with the Shamir Creation and Piccolo, but I believe the digital lenses have a place, especially in high cyl, high lens inset and short B measurement frames.

John

This has been one of my complaints with free-form. The times that I have tried with higher power, cyls, etc, the lab had issues. I have been told the issues are because of high power, high cyl, blah, blah, boring, blah. But, they suggest I send more work in lower powers so they can show me how great free-form is.

Well, I thought the benefits were more noticeable in higher cyls, powers, etc?

Bad address email on file Freedom's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    In freeform Pals ... It nearly performance in the nearly cost ... in normal Rx.

If high astig ... esp. oblique axis ... if used premium freeform Pals will better.

If you need to test lens performance by yourself. .... you can ... BY

1. you order Pals lens that you want to test it ... from your Rx.
    with add 2.50 D.

2. you instill topical clycoplegic agent (cyclopentolate 1%,1 drop) to reduce ciliary muscle worker ... you will not accommodation.
    then you will can't see letter at 40 cm.

3. wear your Pals glasses and TRY IT.

Good Luck.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    In freeform Pals ... It nearly performance in the nearly cost ... in normal Rx.

If high astig ... esp. oblique axis ... if used premium freeform Pals will better.

If you need to test lens performance by yourself. .... you can ... BY

1. you order Pals lens that you want to test it ... from your Rx.
    with add 2.50 D.

2. you instill topical clycoplegic agent (cyclopentolate 1%,1 drop) to reduce ciliary muscle worker ... you will not accommodation.
    then you will can't see letter at 40 cm.

3. wear your Pals glasses and TRY IT.

Good Luck.
    Opticians don't have pharmacology privledges in the US an d frankly shouldn't, plus if you are to use cycloplegics you should always check the angles before instilling drops or risk blinding the patient or yourself, plus what if there is a reaction to the drugs.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    This has been one of my complaints with free-form. The times that I have tried with higher power, cyls, etc, the lab had issues. I have been told the issues are because of high power, high cyl, blah, blah, boring, blah. But, they suggest I send more work in lower powers so they can show me how great free-form is.

Well, I thought the benefits were more noticeable in higher cyls, powers, etc?
    Hmm, maybe this is not really a contradiction. Non-freeform will only use it´s standard design from a list based on the "group" your description is in, without any further feed-back, you get what you get.

In freeform, as any particular design is/should be individually calculated, at least the lab will see how good or bad it will come out (surface astigmatism and power error, in theory) and probably they are only more honest in the case of high cyls and powers.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Opticians don't have pharmacology privledges in the US an d frankly shouldn't, plus if you are to use cycloplegics you should always check the angles before instilling drops or risk blinding the patient or yourself, plus what if there is a reaction to the drugs.
    The other problem is that the mydriasis will induce aberrations from increased peripheral rays. This would NOT be a good test for comparing PALs.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the Seiko Supercede as our main freeform lens. It's got a very low minimum fitting hight at 14, which makes it quite versitile, and more often than not, I've had patients discribe them as feeling like they're not wearing progressives at all.

Bad address email on file Freedom's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    HarryChiling and IndianaOD ... Thank you for your advice and suggestion.

For my suggestion about use drug to test Pals.
    I think ... It only way for 25 year old people that need to test Pals.

I think ... NOT used mydiasis agent because the main effect is for
    dilate pupil by stimulating the iris dilator muscle and/or paralyzing the iris sphincter muscle. That may be generate to acute angle clouser GLAUCOMA. THAT RISK RISK and RISK

I think ... the clycoplegic agent is the main acting is to ciliary body relax
    but have the secondary acting to mydriasis too. That may be generate
    to acute angle clouser GLAUCOMA. THAT RISK RISK and RISK TOO.
    BUT I think ... it less RISK than mydiasis agent.

Then ... If need to used ... should be used UNDER ophthalmologist.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Seiko/Pentax

Seiko/Pentax owns the patents on back surface freeform progressives, so all the other companies that do a back surface only pay them a royalty. They seem to have a good price point too. Having said that, I think the Autograph II is the most sophisticated design right now.

J

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    We use the Seiko Supercede as our main freeform lens. It's got a very low minimum fitting hight at 14, which makes it quite versitile, and more often than not, I've had patients discribe them as feeling like they're not wearing progressives at all.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    HarryChiling and IndianaOD ... Thank you for your advice and suggestion.

For my suggestion about use drug to test Pals.
    I think ... It only way for 25 year old people that need to test Pals.

I think ... NOT used mydiasis agent because the main effect is for
    dilate pupil by stimulating the iris dilator muscle and/or paralyzing the iris sphincter muscle. That may be generate to acute angle clouser GLAUCOMA. THAT RISK RISK and RISK

I think ... the clycoplegic agent is the main acting is to ciliary body relax
    but have the secondary acting to mydriasis too. That may be generate
    to acute angle clouser GLAUCOMA. THAT RISK RISK and RISK TOO.
    BUT I think ... it less RISK than mydiasis agent.

Then ... If need to used ... should be used UNDER ophthalmologist.
    Under an ophthalmologist OR OPTOMETRIST thank you!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indiana:
    The man is in Thailand, they may not even know what an OD is in his part of the world. Remember it's only been a short time that O.D.'s had drug capablilities here.
    And of course, you forgot to mention dentist, some PHD's and others that have the exhaultedness here to prescribe and administer drugs.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Someone is eating their shorts on that Kodak Unique. The ARC on the Unique is a special lens option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by allanon View Post
    Someone is eating their shorts on that Kodak Unique. The ARC on the Unique is a special lens option.
    Al, you are right. I just saw it on the dropdown menu on VSP. May not always have been that way, but it was yesterday. Special lens = special price = special holdbacks.

Occupation
    Optometrist

RE: Special Lens

Straight from VSP, whom I just hung up with.

If you are talking about the new Clean N' Clear, the ENTIRE job is supposed to go through your private lab and you use the special lens procedure. To calculate the patient cost, calculate your U&C for the lens PLUS the AR, subtract 20% and then subtract your progressive allowance and dispensing fee. There is NO chargeback, because you have to pay the lab. Goto Eyefinity -> VSP online -> Special lens calculator (on top left), enter your U&C and progressive dispensing fee. Not sure what it is, call VSP.

Certain additional information has to be added to box 19, etc. You almost have to call them on every single one of these jobs and it seems like enough of a PIA that I would be inclined to avoid it for that reason alone:hammer:.

Here is the email from VSP on the two different Kodak AR's I was asking them about.

Kodak CleAR (Signet Armorlite)
    Anti-Reflective Coating C
    QT
    Kodak Clean 'N' CleAR (Signet Armorlite)
    Use Special Lens Procedure. Labs bill doctor on a private invoice

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It only comes with Clean N Clear now through most labs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Free-forms are good for dist , not near

Autograph II is new and seems to be an improved design over the original autograph (which I thought was only ok). Remember that ALL back surface progressives must pay a royalty to Seiko/Pentax which patented the design. Therefore, you may want to consider the Pentax Perfas and Seiko Succeed (is that the right name?).

Of the new digital designs, only the Autograph II has variable corridor AND variable inset, which can come in handy with some patients.

Had decent luck with the Unique, which Craig on the board loves.

I am confused about the Unique for VSP. Are you saying that for the $119 charge, the patient gets the lens and the ARC? I thought you had to charge the $119 and the CleAR was the first of a new premium ARC class that we charged differently from ARC A, B and C.

Any insights would be great!!

John
    I have tried with identical Rx and frame the Unique and HDV. For work, I much prefer the GT2 to either of the free-forms. Dist is much better than previous generation of progressives.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unique and VSP

Signet Armorlite changed the ARC on the Kodak Unique on March 1st from KodakClear to Kodak CleanClear. Unfortunately, the new coating is not approved by VSP, so you may have to order the Unique using special lens rules. See if your local Signet rep will do the same thing our guy did. My Kodak rep worked with the labs we use to get Signet Armorlite to reimburse for the difference in price between the two coatings and our labs will now process the Unique as they did before without having to use special lens procedure. We just send in the order with KodakClear. Your patient will normally have to pay the "C" coating of $61 in addition to the "N" Prog of $119. This is the best lens I have ever worn, I'm a firm believer in it and glad we can get it through VSP again, Signet Armorlite and my Kodak rep really went the extra nine yards to make it work for us.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by beagleman View Post
    Signet Armorlite changed the ARC on the Kodak Unique on March 1st from KodakClear to Kodak CleanClear. Unfortunately, the new coating is not approved by VSP, so you may have to order the Unique using special lens rules. See if your local Signet rep will do the same thing our guy did. My Kodak rep worked with the labs we use to get Signet Armorlite to reimburse for the difference in price between the two coatings and our labs will now process the Unique as they did before without having to use special lens procedure. We just send in the order with KodakClear. Your patient will normally have to pay the "C" coating of $61 in addition to the "N" Prog of $119. This is the best lens I have ever worn, I'm a firm believer in it and glad we can get it through VSP again, Signet Armorlite and my Kodak rep really went the extra nine yards to make it work for us.
    I don't understand this thinking that VSP "approves" products. They allow product submission only so many times a year but they accept all submissions - without an approval process.

Now whether or not they pay the claim is another story.....:hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Decisive?

I just got myself two new freeforms, and have been fiiting several recently. The only problems have beenwith wrap fits from Shamir..but other than that, my patients and I love:

Pentax Perfas Prime and Prestige
    Indo Lifemade Inicia and Expert
    Seiko Succeed and WS

The PX prime is REAL comfortable, and the Indo Expert has all the stuff of a 360.

Whats decisive is the victory of independent digital back surface labs! better quality from cheap blanks!

Now, where does VSP fit into this? They don't , which means that you simply give a %20 discount and supply em yourself, billing VSP for "independent lab". They don't pay you, but you get to make better money....

I've had to do this with swissflex and t2 frames anyway, since they can only be made in the company labs..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

accolade - ?

John
    ISN't True that the accolade freeform - also has the custom channel - and inset based off the rx - and frame selection ?
    i wonder WHO HAD IT OUT 1st shamir or essilor ?
    does anyone know ?

COPY LINK -
    http://www.visioncareproducts.com/ME...3CF7C86D825720

In addition to all the benefits of Harmonix Technology, the Accolade Freedom lens design also includes FrameOptimiza-tion™ Technology. This process further customizes the back-side design of the lens using digital surfacing. FrameOptimization technology considers the height and width of the frame and the position of the pupil in the frame, interprets this data, and incorporates it with Rx data to further customize the lenses for the wearer.

FrameOptimization Technology optimizes the available visual space while allowing patients the freedom to choose any type of frame to fit their lifestyle, allowing 15mm fitting height, if needed.

Utilizing the frame’s dimensions into the final design calculations, FrameOptimization Technology maximizes the fields-of-vision through any frame, while maintaining the integrity of the lens’ design. It also offers superior optics without additional measurements (such as vertex distance and pantoscopic tilt).
    Last edited by bt5050; 07-11-2008 at 09:19 PM. Reason: made quote shorter

Thread Information