Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABO-NCLE National Education Conference

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow ABO-NCLE National Education Conference

Another thread started to shift gears into the conference talk, so I decided to make a dedicated thread.

Cheers to ya - I look forward to seeing you all at the event.:cheers:
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Think they will actually decide and pass on what "education" is?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Taking into consideration the complete lack of interest in this thread on Optiboard by Opticians everywhere, some news I recently heard is not very surprising.

ABO-NCLE were hoping for thousands of guests to their event in Cinci - and so far have had less than 500 people register.

wow :drop:!

Maybe the fact that is costs just as much to fly to some place cool like Las Vegas or Chicago as it does to Cinci is the reason most people are skipping this one...

It is their first event so...hopefully it'll get all worked out next year.
    ABOC, NCLC, CPO, FNAO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rob.optician View Post
    ABO-NCLE were hoping for thousands of guests to their event in Cinci - and so far have had less than 500 people register.

wow :drop:!

Maybe the fact that is costs just as much to fly to some place cool like Las Vegas or Chicago as it does to Cinci is the reason most people are skipping this one...

It is their first event so...hopefully it'll get all worked out next year.
    UGH!!!!

I wonder if, or how many, of the vendors and educational speakers will bail when they find out about the lousy showing!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    UGH!!!!

I wonder if, or how many, of the vendors and educational speakers will bail when they find out about the lousy showing!
    Once they are in, they're in. There's no bailing now. I live in Ohio and I'm not going. You can only go so many places!

Let's see...Cincy, with that nice river, the chilli, you'll get to hang with all the movers and shakers of opticianry, and you're so close to Kentucky...

or

Hmm...Las Vegas, uh, it's kind of hot, and sometimes you stay up too late, and you get to hang out with the movers and the shakers of (never mind) even though the hotels are cheaper than in Cincy...

Gee, tough decision!;)

I'm not trying to knock the Associations, but if they want turnout, they've got to piggyback with a bigger draw.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticians National Conference

While I am hearing you on location, I belive it was based on the outstanding venue and central point for many. Opticians now have their own national, unified conference, and I humbly ask you to consider supporting this concept. Many here pontificate loudly about support for Opticianry.....wll here is your chance! I will be there and encourage any of you who is considering it to please attend.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fellow ECP Magazine Writers Rejoice!

Warren,

Hopefully we will be able to meet up!

Drinks are on me!*

*Unless you are Harry Chiling, OptiDonn, or Ziggy!

;):cheers::D:cheers::p

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Conference

I'm there, and will look forward to it.

Warren

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think one major factor hindering registration is the cost. Business is down and people aren't spending money. The registration fee, hotel, airfare, etc. will be over a $1,000 for most people, unless you live in Ohio or a neighboring state. I would love to attend but can't afford it right now. I am saving money to go to SECO in Atlanta in March 2009.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    While I am hearing you on location, I belive it was based on the outstanding venue and central point for many. Opticians now have their own national, unified conference, and I humbly ask you to consider supporting this concept.
    Warren
    Warren, I have and od support opticianry, especially when it comes to unification (which when it comes to Ohio, you don't even want to get me started). And yes, I am currently active in this project, on a state level.

What I was refering to was that the most popular events seem to be one-stop shopping for entire offices. An event where the OD and staff can arrive together, split up and go to their particular seminars, meet for BIG time buying, and get it all accomplished for a decent price. Even some of the OD shows struggle because the vendors don't see the value in a limited audience.

When you sit in on an optician CEU, and talk to the opticians sitting around you, it becomes readily apparent that a majority of them (the state's mailing list proves it) work for chains, and have no buying/decision making power. When I was a regular vendor (frames) at the state and national level, and it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't worth it to exhiibit. Confererences like this need the support of exhibiters to survive. I'm sure that many of them would be much happier making a donatinon to the local associations fo lobbying efforts and call it a day. Add to that the rumor that the last of of the big supporters of opticianry (Marchon) is being purchased by a company that tries to destroy us. There goes another ally...

And as far as the location....

I just booked the hotels for Las Vegas. For 4 of us, for 3 days, 2 rooms, it will cost $380. That includes tax and everything. You'd have to drive to Florence (Y'all) Kentucky to get prices like that near Ohio. I have to take everything into consideration.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Warren, I have and od support opticianry, especially when it comes to unification (which when it comes to Ohio, you don't even want to get me started). And yes, I am currently active in this project, on a state level.

What I was refering to was that the most popular events seem to be one-stop shopping for entire offices. An event where the OD and staff can arrive together, split up and go to their particular seminars, meet for BIG time buying, and get it all accomplished for a decent price. Even some of the OD shows struggle because the vendors don't see the value in a limited audience.

When you sit in on an optician CEU, and talk to the opticians sitting around you, it becomes readily apparent that a majority of them (the state's mailing list proves it) work for chains, and have no buying/decision making power. When I was a regular vendor (frames) at the state and national level, and it didn't take long to figure out that it wasn't worth it to exhiibit. Confererences like this need the support of exhibiters to survive. I'm sure that many of them would be much happier making a donatinon to the local associations fo lobbying efforts and call it a day. Add to that the rumor that the last of of the big supporters of opticianry (Marchon) is being purchased by a company that tries to destroy us. There goes another ally...

And as far as the location....

I just booked the hotels for Las Vegas. For 4 of us, for 3 days, 2 rooms, it will cost $380. That includes tax and everything. You'd have to drive to Florence (Y'all) Kentucky to get prices like that near Ohio. I have to take everything into consideration.

There is no sense in arguing with this logic!

It really is a sad state of affairs! As Brother Johns has mentioned, many that attend these get-to-gethers, do not possess the buying authority, the knowledge base, or the desire to make this type of event FANTASTIC! I honestly feel sorry for the vendors, magazine reps, hot dog cart pushers and ticket verifiers that have to work this sham of an event! Many of the participants are only there because the business owners BANKROLLED the event! Even then....most beeotch and complain about it! Most that I have talked to would never go to these experiences if "The Man" didn't foot the bill! Yeah......these people SUCK!!

I have done business with many Optiboard regulars. Some experiences have been great, some have totally sucked! The sad thing is....many of these labs, equipment vendors, suppliers, etc tell me very similar stories.....that most optical folks that they talk to have 1.) no influence in the buying process 2.) have no desire to have the buying influence 3.) have basically....no clue!!

:cheers::shiner::cheers::angry:
    Last edited by Fezz; 08-14-2008 at 10:16 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There really IS a GOD!!!

I just found out what I am doing Saturday in Cinci!

http://www.oktoberfestzinzinnati.com/okt.aspx

:D:cheers::D

What a good way to drown the realization that I suck after two days of advanced review courses!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optometric Meeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    I think one major factor hindering registration is the cost. Business is down and people aren't spending money. The registration fee, hotel, airfare, etc. will be over a $1,000 for most people, unless you live in Ohio or a neighboring state. I would love to attend but can't afford it right now. I am saving money to go to SECO in Atlanta in March 2009.
    SECO is an OD conference. You will spend there but not on your own national, unified conference? While they offer CE for Opticians, make no mistake, this is an OD meeting. I understand all the logic behind the comments by Johns and others, but I still feel we need to at least attempt to have a single, unified conference for Opticians. I hope all have fun in Vegas, it is a great place and I am sure the hotel rooms are cheap, but the reasoning behind Ohio, I am told, had to do with the large number of ABO/NCLE certificants within driving distance. There are close to 600 pre-registered, and I hope it continues to grow. Again, I was not involved in the planning, and am not even speaking, but will be there in support. I hope those that are in the planning phase are listening to all of you regarding location.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 08-25-2008 at 01:06 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SECO is an OD conference. You will spend there but not on your own national, unified conference? While they offer CE for Opticians, make no mistake, this is an OD meeting.
    It's amazing the number of people that attend conferences that don't even realize who is sponsoring, or more importantly, which organizations are benefiting from, their dollars.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope those that are in the planning phase are listening to all of you regarding location.
    That's the only reason I stated my opinion here. I know that many of the planners are here and may take notice...

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter Alvaro Cordova's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my case, I can't get CE for my state at the conference or I'd go. Las Vegas would be a great place for such a conference since it can be used as a vacation spot too

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

National Committee of State Optical Regulatory Boards

I am trying to find out if the National Committee of State Optical Regulatory Boards (NCSORB) is meeting at the Cincinnati meeting. I serve as the Chairman of the Board of Examiners for Opticians in Connecticut and would like to attend a meeting of the group if possible. Anyone have any info? Ray Dennis

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

National Committee of State Optical Regulatory Boards

I am trying to find out if the National Committee of State Optical Regulatory Boards (NCSORB) is meeting at the Cincinnati meeting. I serve as the Chairman of the Board of Examiners for Opticians in Connecticut and would like to attend a meeting of the group if possible. Anyone have any info? Ray Dennis

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Ray try contacting Harry Jilson (hcjilson) I think he might know for sure.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info,would you have any contact information for Harry Jilson ? Ray

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ray,

Harry Jilson is a member/moderator on Optiboard. You can PM him, but he shouls be along soon to help you out.

To PM:

Upper left control bar=User CP, click it
    Scroll down left options=message center
    Send him a PM!

Welcome to Optiboard!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    You can contact him here:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/member.php?u=69

Ray even better I just got an e-mail from Cate at the OAA check this link out for more information:

http://www.oaa.org/index.php?id=18

NCSORB has now been meeting with the Leadership Conference since 2006. They used to attend the convention but after the 2005 unfortunate outcome of Hurricane Katrina (OAA was in New Orleans that year and had to cancel) they started meeting at Leadership. The contact for NCSORB is Granville Smith.
    I think Granville is a KY guy you may want to contact Curt Duff, contact info at the bottom of this page and see how to get Granvilles info:

http://www.gosdok.com/sdok_officers_and_directors.htm
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 09-05-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok....

We are getting close. Can we get a count of who is going and who owes me a beer or eight?

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thursday

I arrive THursday afternoon @ 4:00. Look forward to seeing you.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Warren!

Incoming PM!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information