Thread: AIT Charity drive for a school of Optometry in the DR Congo

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Arrow AIT Charity drive for a school of Optometry in the DR Congo

Hello,

I write to you Optiboard members on behalf of Dr. Nancy Herbster, OD. She has made it her life’s mission to improve the eye care of the people living in the DR Congo. In 2002 a volcano destroyed her facilities near Goma and she is now in the process of rebuilding. She used AIT Pattern edging equipment because it was very reliable for her remote mission. As a result of her facilities being destroyed she is in dire need of new equipment. As a tribute to her noble endeavor we have volunteered to help by participating in this charity drive. Those of you who are willing to donate used AIT pattern edgers you can schedule a pickup/drop off locally in Chicago or ship to us directly. Also if you have broken AIT equipment you would like to donate we will happily repair it free of charge. We can arrange to get a tax-deductible donation letter for any equipment donated. Below I have quoted a short message Dr. Herbster would like to pass along to you explaining her mission.

I have been in the DR Congo, Africa for almost 23 years. I went originally to work in a mission clinic that was established by an optician in the northeast. After my 3 years there, the Lord led me to move to Goma which at that time had a population of 150,000, with no eye care available. Since then Goma has grown to about 500,000 and there are now 2 ophthalmologists who are, also, working there. We have also opened clinics in Bukavu to the South and Bunia to the North. We lost our buildings in Goma to the volcano in 2002. We had to rent for several years until we were able to start building again.

What my 23 years Congo have shown me, is that while we are helping many with their visual problems, the country is so big, we need more eye care practitioners. We have set up clinics in 3 major towns and are able to reach out to some in the areas around them. But there are many major towns in the Congo which still have no eye care available. That is why we are trying to start a school for training of opticians, refractionists, and optometrists in DR Congo. We have the authorization needed. We have purchased ground and are in the process of building. We hope to build a school that includes class rooms, library, a clinic with 5 refraction lanes, and labs for surfacing and edging. We are working on getting some Congolese trained to be professors. And I am now in the states trying to get the supplies and equipment needed to get started. We will send it over by container as soon as we receive what is required.”

Any help you are willing to give would be greatly appreciated, I have included below several pictures of her old building before and after it was destroyed by the volcano. You may contact us via phone at 1-800-729-1959 or via email at helpnancy@aitindustries.com if you wish to donate.

Before the Volcano:

After the Volcano hit

Sincerely,

Matthew Vulich
    Vice-President of Marketing
    AIT Industries

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Good idea !! Did you see the thread about the optiboard World Vision Project at the top of this page?? I'm in the process of starting a program that will provide FREE glasses to the low income here in the states.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've got an old Grande Mark taking up floor space. It needs a new top cover, and some general sprucing up, but it still worked when we removed it from service.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I've got an old Grande Mark taking up floor space. It needs a new top cover, and some general sprucing up, but it still worked when we removed it from service.
    Matt, have you found a rep to come by and pick up that edger yet?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Update

I have given your name to Glenn Herringshaw and also our tech department to be attentive to the travels of our representatives. Either we will pick it up or FCO - Fellowship of Christian Optometrists will pay to have it shipped. If you are eager to get rid of it and donate, you could ship it to AIT and the shipping would be tax deductible.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a Weco edger.... a A/O non contact Tonometer...a newly recalibrated Fieldsmaster Visiual fields tester....a PRO electric welder...a chemical hardener....a pattern holder rack...a Kirk hardener and a Heigh Streit keratometer that I can add to the list. My problem is getting them to Chicago. Any Ideas.

Thread Information