Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: options for +4.50 RX

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

options for +4.50 RX

What are the options for a +4.50 RX (distance, SV)? Obviously, plastic would be too thick. My lab does a nice Polythin (Poly 1.0) which could work. Another option is 1.67 surfaced (incredibly expensive). There does not seem to be any stock poly or 1.67 that I'm aware of that goes up to +4.25; however, Nassau has a stock poly called "lighten up" which goes up to +6.00. If there are good stock lens options I would like to use them. However, if there are not I would like to know if there are good alternatives to 1.67.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For a plus? I'd go poly or a 1.6 before going 1.67.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hi Doc, Cr-39 in a properly picked out frame would be my option.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need to be real careful with stock plus lenses. Unless you use the lens all the way to the very edge, they'll be thicker than you'll want them to be.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    For a plus? I'd go poly or a 1.6 before going 1.67.
    Is this the general concensus? My optician routinely uses 1.67 for high plus patients; however, I have noticed that Poly 1.0 sometimes looks better, is lighter and definitely costs a lot less. I've also noticed (but can't explain why) that some labs seem to do a lot better with surfacing poly 1.0 than others. This also begs the opposite question: If you would not use 1.67 for high plus it would assume that you would use it for high minus. If that's the case, would you use stock or surface? The stock product is roughly 4x less costly than the surfaced product.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stock options are not an option unless you will be using the full 65mm blank. It will too thick on the edge. The reason you want to get a surfaced lens is that the edge can be surfaced to have a knife edge or close to it. It makes the whole lens thicker. You might want to edge a +5.00 poly so you can prove it to yourself.
    1.60 would be the best, taking into account optics and thickness.
    Trivex is OK too, though a little thicker.
    Poly is the best thickness vs cost value, but often hyperopes have more trouble w/ abberations than myopes. If patient is wearing poly now and is OK with it, there is your answer.
    If the patient will go with a small A in a full metal, a CR lens will not be too thick.
    Of couse, it's the patient that will be the judge of what is too thick.

Occupation
    ASL Surfaced.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    What are the options for a +4.50 RX (distance, SV)? Obviously, plastic would be too thick. My lab does a nice Polythin (Poly 1.0) which could work. Another option is 1.67 surfaced (incredibly expensive). There does not seem to be any stock poly or 1.67 that I'm aware of that goes up to +4.25; however, Nassau has a stock poly called "lighten up" which goes up to +6.00. If there are good stock lens options I would like to use them. However, if there are not I would like to know if there are good alternatives to 1.67.
    How about Spectralite?
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quick note.

Too utilize a full blank do the following math.
    Patients PD subtracted from the Frame PD and added to the ED will give you the minimum blank size needed, so if your stock +4.50 1.67 lens comes in a 65 or 70mm blank, do the math and if your in within 1mm or so of the blank size needed, your good to go with a stock plus lens.

My two cents.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best you can do in a stock lens is a 65mm in poly asp, 1.60 asp, or 1.67 asp. Forget the 70mm blanks. If your minimum blank size calculation is greater than 70mm, have it surfaced.
    My rule of thumb is up to +3.00 in aspheric poly in 65mm blanks for kids. and +4.00 for adults. If there is a question, I will calculate the blank size needed. If it's outside the range, have it surfaced.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    ASL Surfaced.
    Ditto Harry and Jana. You might also want to check out Nulux-ep from Hoya (If you have a Hoya account).
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    At that power an aspheric mid-index will also work well, even Trivex. I like the Kodak aspheric Evoclear better than the Spectralite ASL, though that would be my second choice.
    Forget stock lenses above about a +2.00 unless you get the 60mm poly.
    As far as the stock 1.67, my opinion is that when you get an Rx strong enough to warrant it, the patient will have problems seeing through it. 1.60 is better, 1.70 is better. 1,67 sucks above a -5.00 or so, UNLESS your patient is not sensitive to ABBE issues.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    You might also want to check out Nulux-ep from Hoya (If you have a Hoya account).
    I have been wearing the Nulux ep 1.7 for about 3 weeks. I love them! But then I'm a myope not hyperope.

I find that stock lenses over +2.00 generally only work well in plastic frames due to cosmetics/thickness.

Hope it helps!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aspheric trivex always came out just as thin, if not thinner, than 1.67 in my old lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this the general concensus? My optician routinely uses 1.67 for high plus patients; however, I have noticed that Poly 1.0 sometimes looks better, is lighter and definitely costs a lot less. I've also noticed (but can't explain why) that some labs seem to do a lot better with surfacing poly 1.0 than others. This also begs the opposite question: If you would not use 1.67 for high plus it would assume that you would use it for high minus. If that's the case, would you use stock or surface? The stock product is roughly 4x less costly than the surfaced product.
    Unless I know it'll fit the stock lens exactly, I will surface pretty much everything over a +2/+2.50. I rarely surface minus lenses though, except when there's no stock options. Yes though, I would use a 1.67 in a high minus. However, a lot of the time, getting the thinnest possible lens has little to do with what material lens you use, and more to do with what frame is chosen and HOW you get it surfaced. Our office, up till about a month ago was ordering surfaced with measurements (B, ED etc) but of course, not knowing exactly how the lab measured, the lenses weren't coming out as well as they should. So, since then we've started tracing everything, and it comes out much better.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner05 View Post
    Aspheric trivex always came out just as thin, if not thinner, than 1.67 in my old lab.
    Yeah, but wasn't your old lab eyemasters? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    with a +4.50, you never want to use a stock lens. The most important part of the job is the surfacing. Also, a poly 1.0 means nothing, because the centre thickness will never be 1.0.

I would say poly is out. When poly is surfaced for a job like this, the edges tend to be a little thicker. They lab will not do a knife edge, because of the softness of the material.

What I would suggest is getting a good 1.60 and ask for a knife thickness. Will do an awesome job. If the frame is very small, you can use a trivex, a 1.54 or a 1.56.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pick the right frame and surface it. I don't see why high index would be needed.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nassau has a very nice 60mm cr-39 that goes to a plus six. Very economical. Usually turns out thinner than the 65mm focalite poly.

Harry

ArielJG

Poly Resolution by Optima

Poly Resolution by Optima ( Made in the USA ) will be a nice lens to go with.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perfect Optical in Manhattan stocks 60 blank poly aspherics. Also has 55 blanks in CR-39.

212-473-7010

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tntborden View Post
    Yeah, but wasn't your old lab eyemasters? Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
    Haha, I agree. But this was our inhouse lab. My lab manager knew his stuff and put a good quality product out. Now, the company itself... If it weren't for the ungodly markup on this crap, they'd be out of business by now.

ArielJG
    [quote=dweinstein;249381]Perfect Optical in Manhattan stocks 60 blank poly aspherics. Also has 55 blanks in CR-39.

JG Optical in Brooklyn NY has 73/65mm Poly Aspheric lenses that will go up to a +6.00

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Surfaced Phoenix Aspheric is perfect for a +4.50!

The ability to surface a 1.0 edge will give you the lightest lens and the ability to get a thin edge without coating issues. The lenses cost the same as aspheric poly and can be amazing at this power.
    We use all phoenix on plus rx's and out to -5.00 before going to 1.67.

The phoenix and NXT lenses (sun versions) are the future of len technology. Patients love the weight and we love the fact that there are no remakes for cracking or chipping. The coating's also hold up well on phoenix and we have had almost zero non glare failure on this material.

Hope it helps!

Craig

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ArielJG View Post
    Poly Resolution by Optima ( Made in the USA ) will be a nice lens to go with.
    This is our stock lens. It doesn't go beyond +3.00.

Thread Information