Thread: Atoric Lens

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Confused Atoric Lens

one Of our custumer (an opticien) sold a lens with this RX :
    R : sph:-13.50 cyl:-2.50 axis 21
    L: sph:-11.00 cyl:-1.75 axis 155
    This lens was in 1.67 transition V atoric from optiswiss software, and in my big surprise the wearer can't see in the périferic area Of the frame .
    I touk out the lenses from the frame and tested it with a stressmeter I found some stress in the périferic area Of the lens .
    Is It normal ?? because as I know an Atoric lens must be very confortable and must have no stress On it !!
    the wearer told me that the adaptation is very very quick and the lens is very nice in the center but in the periferic area no way ..... he can not drive with It !!!:hammer::hammer::hammer:

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mahmoud.hamza View Post
    one Of our custumer (an opticien) sold a lens with this RX :
    R : sph:-13.50 cyl:-2.50 axis 21
    L: sph:-11.00 cyl:-1.75 axis 155
    This lens was in 1.67 transition V atoric from optiswiss software, and in my big surprise the wearer can't see in the périferic area Of the frame .
    I touk out the lenses from the frame and tested it with a stressmeter I found some stress in the périferic area Of the lens .
    Is It normal ?? because as I know an Atoric lens must be very confortable and must have no stress On it !!
    the wearer told me that the adaptation is very very quick and the lens is very nice in the center but in the periferic area no way ..... he can not drive with It !!!:hammer::hammer::hammer:
    One possibility is that the back surface design is biased towards cosmetics (as thin as possible) instead of best form optics (least possible off-axis astigmatism and power error). I would also expect some peripheral blur due to the relatively high degree of dispersion found in most super high index lenses (see Abbe value).
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I, too, wonder if peripheral optics in a 1.67 is going to be good at that power range. Material limits design success.

General question: Is this a case of an optical lens laboratory (opti-swiss?) creating it's own lens design via freeform? Maybe it's as simple as they didn't, for some reason as Robert said, optimize the vision.

Another question: if there is "stress" in an unmounted lens, what exactly is that, and what does it mean?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I, too, wonder if peripheral optics in a 1.67 is going to be good at that power range. Material limits design success.

General question: Is this a case of an optical lens laboratory (opti-swiss?) creating it's own lens design via freeform? Maybe it's as simple as they didn't, for some reason as Robert said, optimize the vision.

Another question: if there is "stress" in an unmounted lens, what exactly is that, and what does it mean?

Bingo! The ABBE of the 1.67 is terrible, as bad as polycraponate, so your customer will have a badly distorted periphery.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Labs create free form?

Has optiswiss or any other labs created their own freeform software that they then sell to others?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    optiswiss, shamir, indo, seiko all these laboratories have there one design and they sell it to other .

Hamza Mahmoud

Mail : mahmoud.hamza@optylab.com
    Web : www.optylab.com

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper See the FF lenses being made ........................

See the FF lenses being made at Optiswiss, at: Video

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The RX could be off as well. I would use +or - .25 flippers to see if peripheral VA improves. People often can compensate better through center of a lens so it masks a slight RX adjustment. I guarantee you with that power that if he got 4 refractions he would have 4 different RXs.

If the flippers don't help, increase face form.

Also, it depends on what the person was in before. Often people get used to bad eyewear and good eyewear shows the faults of the previous lens. Try matching the face form and OC of their previous pair of glasses to help him get used to the lens, then adjust back to correct position.

Ususally a material issue will be consistant throughout the field of view. But its still a possiblity that the thickness is agravating a borderline material problem.

Thread Information