Thread: Google Alert "optician"

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Google Alert "optician"

I have been using a Google Alert for "optician" for a few months now and have noted that the vast majority of hits are from the UK. Following these links and reading the articles has been quite an eye opening education for me.

In particular I have come away with the impression that their government sponsored health care system really sucks. An illegal alien will receive better care faster here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts than a British or Canadian tax paying citizen.

In the immortal words of Porky Pig, vewwwy intewesting.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You've obviously never heard the term "whinging poms" I think the British count it their birth right to complain. I live in a Commenwealth country, and our health care is free. It does have its problems, but everyone has access to healthcare. No waits, no bankruptcy due to lack of insurance, and to top it all off, noone has to be hungry or homeless. I was recently diagnosed with a rare condition, and my care has been extraordinary. As a US citizen I can't afford insurance (had cancer at 24) after moving to New Zealand I was astounded to see that my perception of things outside of the USA was skewed with jinguism. Don't get me wrong, there's no place like home - but things aren't as bad as they seem in the UK. Don't believe everything you read.

I suggest everyone spend a year or two living overseas somewhere. The world would be a much more tolerant place.

:p

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I have been using a Google Alert for "optician" for a few months now and have noted that the vast majority of hits are from the UK. Following these links and reading the articles has been quite an eye opening education for me.

In particular I have come away with the impression that their government sponsored health care system really sucks. An illegal alien will receive better care faster here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts than a British or Canadian tax paying citizen.

In the immortal words of Porky Pig, vewwwy intewesting.
    Note: That's Elmer Fudd.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarySue View Post
    You've obviously never heard the term "whinging poms" I think the British count it their birth right to complain. I live in a Commenwealth country, and our health care is free. It does have its problems, but everyone has access to healthcare. No waits, no bankruptcy due to lack of insurance, and to top it all off, noone has to be hungry or homeless. I was recently diagnosed with a rare condition, and my care has been extraordinary. As a US citizen I can't afford insurance (had cancer at 24) after moving to New Zealand I was astounded to see that my perception of things outside of the USA was skewed with jinguism. Don't get me wrong, there's no place like home - but things aren't as bad as they seem in the UK. Don't believe everything you read.

I suggest everyone spend a year or two living overseas somewhere. The world would be a much more tolerant place.

:p
    I'm really sorry about having cancer at 24 but so did my husband and we can get health insurance...Who pays for your health care in New Zealand? I don't want to pay for it through my taxes! As a practice administrator also can't imangine what the reinbursemnt will be...I get zilch for medical assitance now....How does a practice stay afloat w/those reinbursements? I know I'm complaining but good grief I'm tired of hearing how great it will be...If we treated health insurance like we treat car insurance it would be better, but no one wants to do this. How about people being more responsible for their health care? How about not rushing to the er(were they have to take you)when you have the flu, a rash, or a really bad headache? How about stop complaining I don't have the money for health insurance when you have cable/direct tv, multiple cell phones, fax nails etc...We hold no one responsible for the actions anymore and expect the government to take care of us...Well I'm tired of it...

I'm finished w/my rant....I hope that New Zealand is great..My friend has visited several times and loves it

Christina

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Note: That's Elmer Fudd.
    The cats out of the bag. I stand corrected. Thanks Comic Book Guy!

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You've obviously never heard the term "whinging poms"
    Yeah, my wife uses it, and she's an Aussie. Folks in this northern hemisphere don't know what "whinging" means, let alone "Poms."

She also has a very different outlook on what society's responsibility is to its citizens and what a citizen's responsibility is to society. The "social contract" has a far different meaning in Australia and the other Commonwealth countries than it does here. Being married to someone who comes from another country and culture is truly eye-opening. She's a Labor lady, andthere is much in the US she loves and much that she finds outrageous. What she finds outrageous would probably outrage my "conservative" friends on this board . . .

Hope all's well down in the southern ocean. :cheers:
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    Who pays for your health care in New Zealand? I don't want to pay for it through my taxes!
    How does a practice stay afloat w/those reinbursements?
    How about people being more responsible for their health care?
    How about not rushing to the er(were they have to take you)when you have the flu, a rash, or a really bad headache?
    How about stop complaining I don't have the money for health insurance when you have cable/direct tv, multiple cell phones, fax nails etc...We hold no one responsible for the actions anymore and expect the government to take care of us...Well I'm tired of it...
    Christina
    Hey Christina, Last time I lived in the USA - my health insurance, was nearly $750 a month. Now considering that's a couple of house payments, and it was 1998 - I guess things could have been worse. Well actually they were - the insurance didn't cover cancer, as ... well you get the picture.

Here the health care is private as well as public. If you have private insurance there aren't any waiting lists, you get into private rooms, etc. If you don't have any insurance, you go to your Dr. pay about $25 for a visit, and if needed are referred. As for glasses, the only subsidy available is for children from 0-15 who carry a community services card. Everyone else here pays their way and we have a lively marketplace.

I've had a CT Scan, MRI, Adrenal Blood tests (which involved minor surgery to send a cathetor up my veins to the glands) dozens of blood tests, an echo cardiogram, stayed in hospital about 10 days total, and the sum total was $25.

The government here pays for healthcare, schools, and housing for the unfortunate. Personally - that's what I believe governments should do. I'm happy to have my taxes cover these things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Yeah, my wife uses it, and she's an Aussie. Folks in this northern hemisphere don't know what "whinging" means, let alone "Poms."

The "social contract" has a far different meaning in Australia and the other Commonwealth countries than it does here. Being married to someone who comes from another country and culture is truly eye-opening.
    Hope all's well down in the southern ocean. :cheers:
    Hey Andrew - good on ya mate for marrying an Ozzie Sheila - oy oy oy. Bet she's a fair crack of the whip eh? a real beauty bonza bottler? I married a kiwi - sheep loving, fair dinkum bloke. Now that the ozzies have stolen our Rugby Coach ... well no love lost.

Now - if that isn't culturally sensitive ... what is?
    :bbg:

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Andrew - good on ya mate for marrying an Ozzie Sheila - oy oy oy. Bet she's a fair crack of the whip eh? a real beauty bonza bottler? I married a kiwi - sheep loving, fair dinkum bloke. Now that the ozzies have stolen our Rugby Coach ... well no love lost.

Now - if that isn't culturally sensitive ... what is?
    :bbg:
    :D:D:D Photo of the Sheila and one of our dingos attached.

I'm passing this one along to Avril; she'll get some good yucks!

Thank you. :cheers:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    noone has to be hungry or homeless.
    The problem I see is that the only people that are hungry or homeless are the ones that don't work. Every company is trying to hire people. Around here we don't have an unemployment problem, we have a too many lazy people that are being cared for by the taxpayer problem. I see single mothers (girls, not working women) that won't get married because they will lose their state aid.

I know that many destitute are mentally ill or drug users, and I am happy to help. But the idea of state aid has changed from helping people that CAN'T help themselves to helping folks who WON'T help themselves.

There is an entire sub-culture of folks that after 2 generations have lost the ability to comprehend what it takes to keep a job. They don't even know why they would want a job.

Occupation
    We can all thank the "War on Poverty" for providing us with . . . poverty.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    The problem I see is that the only people that are hungry or homeless are the ones that don't work. Every company is trying to hire people. Around here we don't have an unemployment problem, we have a too many lazy people that are being cared for by the taxpayer problem. I see single mothers (girls, not working women) that won't get married because they will lose their state aid.

I know that many destitute are mentally ill or drug users, and I am happy to help. But the idea of state aid has changed from helping people that CAN'T help themselves to helping folks who WON'T help themselves.

There is an entire sub-culture of folks that after 2 generations have lost the ability to comprehend what it takes to keep a job. They don't even know why they would want a job.

The issue is having a job isn't the same as providing food and shelter anymore. Working at McD's isn't going to cover that home you bought when working at the factory. Going from making $25 and hour plus benefits to work at the new plant making $11 and paying more out of pocket for bene's isn't going to cut it either.

Ever heard of working poor? People who work and in some cases work multiple but lower paying jobs and still can't afford to pay for all their medicines, rent, daycare etc? IN many cases around here people's benefits have been greatly altered on their medical plans and they pay higher premiums, higher copays, deductibles etc w/o getting better coverage. In fact services are being cut on top of that!

Then in some areas.. one natural disaster and *poof* a large population of people are now in dire straights.
    Last edited by Jubilee; 06-17-2008 at 07:07 AM. Reason: continuing thought
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    Ever heard of working poor? People who work and in some cases work multiple but lower paying jobs and still can't afford to pay for all their medicines, rent, daycare etc? IN many cases around here people's benefits have been greatly altered on their medical plans and they pay higher premiums, higher copays, deductibles etc w/o getting better coverage. In fact services are being cut on top of that! Then in some areas.. one natural disaster and *poof* a large population of people are now in dire straights.
    The government could ensure that none go without food or shelter, education and healthcare. They are the basics. Personally, I pay taxes in the US and here in NZ - because the US requires me to file a tax return even though I live outside of the US. I wouldn't mind so much - if the money were used for something that actually helped Americans.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    We can all thank the "War on Poverty" for providing us with . . . poverty.
    And we can all thank the “War on Terror” with providing us with terror

Cuts both ways ;)
    www.opticaljedi.com
    www.facebook.com/opticaljedi
    www.twitter.com/opticaljedi

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last time I lived in the United States my health insurance premiums were too high and did not pay anything unless you had major health problems.

I have live outside the USA for over ten years. My health insurance for both my wife and I costs about $235 a month and pays 80% on everything. This is private group health insurance. I am still under 60 and it paid 80% on my catarat surgery last year. In the states I would have had to wait for medicare to pay it if I could have waited that long.

Why health care from private insurers cost so much is what I wonder. If the cost was lowered everyone could afford it. Who could not afford $235 a month for a family plan? I have too many toys. If I can afford them I surely can afford something more worthwhile like my health!

Hey Christina, Last time I lived in the USA - my health insurance, was nearly $750 a month. Now considering that's a couple of house payments, and it was 1998 - I guess things could have been worse. Well actually they were - the insurance didn't cover cancer, as ... well you get the picture.

Here the health care is private as well as public. If you have private insurance there aren't any waiting lists, you get into private rooms, etc. If you don't have any insurance, you go to your Dr. pay about $25 for a visit, and if needed are referred. As for glasses, the only subsidy available is for children from 0-15 who carry a community services card. Everyone else here pays their way and we have a lively marketplace.

I've had a CT Scan, MRI, Adrenal Blood tests (which involved minor surgery to send a cathetor up my veins to the glands) dozens of blood tests, an echo cardiogram, stayed in hospital about 10 days total, and the sum total was $25.

The government here pays for healthcare, schools, and housing for the unfortunate. Personally - that's what I believe governments should do. I'm happy to have my taxes cover these things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 35oldguy View Post
    Why health care from private insurers cost so much is what I wonder. If the cost was lowered everyone could afford it. Who could not afford $235 a month for a family plan? I have too many toys. If I can afford them I surely can afford something more worthwhile like my health!
    It has to do with the amount of suing that occurs in the USA for whatever reason. In NZ you can't sue - you can file complaints, and there is compensation, but the amounts are controlled. If you go to a doctor and he takes a kidney instead of a cataract, you would end up getting about $30K maybe - and the doctor would be struck from the registrar and maybe locked up. In the US you'd be a gazillionairre and three law firms would start up from the fees generated by your case.

35yroldguy
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes that is part of the problem. They need to fix this if they expect to cover all the people!

It has to do with the amount of suing that occurs in the USA for whatever reason. In NZ you can't sue - you can file complaints, and there is compensation, but the amounts are controlled. If you go to a doctor and he takes a kidney instead of a cataract, you would end up getting about $30K maybe - and the doctor would be struck from the registrar and maybe locked up. In the US you'd be a gazillionairre and three law firms would start up from the fees generated by your case.

Thread Information