Thread: Thoughts on Marchon Airlocks...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thoughts on Marchon Airlocks...

Having seen the plethora of drill mount screwless frames that have become available since the introduction of Silhouette Titans, we are now working with the Marchon Airlock frames.

Before going further, let me just say that- next to the Titans- the Airlocks are probably the second best drill mount system I've seen. The Charmant and Safilo versions that we have recently tried have both been banished from our shop!

Okay then, on to the Airlocks. If memory serves, there used to be an engineer/cartoonist named "Rube" who drew comics of simple processes that had been hopelessly complicated by spuriously added additional steps and procedures. I think Mr. Rube's grandson must now work for Marchon!

I mean, come on... you have to change the drill bit twice per lens! In fact, there are no less than five different pins and bits used to do each lens (a placement pin, a large drill bit, a burr, an installation thumb tack, and a triangular setting device). Geesh!

On the other hand, I have to admit that the finished product seems more likely to come out on axis and feels more secure than the Titans. Of course, it should feel more secure- considering the relatively mammoth size of the pin that goes through the lens. The other major advantage of the Marchon product I see is the ease with which you can dismount the lens (though I have to wonder if the lens will dismount itself over time).

Anyone have opinions on the Airlock product (or any other drill mount that I may have yet to try)? I appreciate seeing the opinions and experiences of fellow drill mounters!

Pete
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Airlocks have been our best selling frame from the moment we received them about two months ago.

I only use polycarb lenses for my 3pc. mounts and build the extra charge into the cost of the frames.

From a technical standpoint I have found it imperative to use new bushings if you should have to dismantle the lens and then reassemble; otherwise they work loose. I was able to squeeze another mounting kit off my rep and therefore have two jigs to work with which requires less changing of drill bits. We also found leap pads hold the jig an AR lenses alot more solidly than their kits double faced tape.

I am wearing the first pair I made and my doc is wearing the second pair which has influenced many sales this far. This is a thumbs up product for us.

Kevin

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello Pete,

You speak of Rube Goldberg. He was my hero :)

Marchon in my opinion is a terrible company to deal with. We do not carry any of their product anymore although we were tempted once with the DKNY but then thought better of it because after all, it was still Marchon :)

The Titan as of yet is the best one. I've not used the Airlocks system so I can't really say it's a good or bad system but I have dealt with the company. It may be a solid drill mount design but I will never know. I've used a couple of different Tura drill mounts recently and can honestly say they are a big pain, but are very secure when finished. The good ole ArtCraft Rimway is a good one and pretty easy to do but is not a three piece mounting. The Omomuki are a pain in the butt especially to keep tight after the fact (no shoe springs). The 123 Titanium are pretty straight forward but I haven't had them long enough to give an opinion yet. The Polo drill mounts, in my opinion work pretty well and are simple and seem to hold up well. The Charmant was the worst thing I've ever had the displeasure to work with. I don't know what idiot came up with that idea for a mounting system. There are many others that I've messed with but can't remember at present, but I can say I probably didn't like them for whatever reason or I'd still have them around :)

Keep in mind many of the drill mounts I've mentioned don't have drilling systems and you fly by the seat of your pants when drilling them, but there mountings are good.

I hope this helps,

Darris C.

Bad address email on file

Titans (silholette Rimless)

I haven't tried them all but the Titians are a breeze to drill! I do all the drilled rimless in the lab I work at part-time and these are so easy that it feels like cheating.
    Tom

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    As a wholesale manufacturer, we have had several "learning" experiences with the Air-Lock by Marchon. We too have learned that polycarbonate or poly-like materials (Phoenix/Trilogy) are more appropriate for these mounting types. We have experienced that the plastic sleeves fitting over the mounting posts can vary in thickness, thus compromising the tightness needed for the lenses to stay secure. The drilling angle is also critical. We have used the CNC Optidrill, however with out the tilt table (just made available) the holes do not have the proper angle to the front surface of the lens and the mounting peices do not sit flush, also making it unstable. We have had the most success with the "Smart Drill".

Last but not least, there is no such thing as a "loose" lens, it's either on or off. This seems to be due to the tapper of the mounting posts. I do agree that once done properly and with the appropriate lens material that the finished product looks good. Time will tell if they will stay that way!

Steve

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Well, we've had our supply of AirLocks for a while now... All I can say is that we plan to return them! I can remember doing the first couple of Titans and thinking "this is impossible!" Now I crank a Titan out in about five minutes...

Not so with the AirLocks. I don't know who made the brilliant decision to require two bits and and placement pin, but I want him or her punished (preferrably in an open forum, like at a Vision Expo... imagine how popular the Marchon booth would be if you got to throw stuff at the person responsible for... oops, I'm still typing, aren't I???).

Not only are they impossible to drill, but half of the time the lenses come right out after they've been mounted! Marchon should do the right thing and pull these dogs off the market!

Pete "and that's all I have to say about that" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Well, we've had our supply of AirLocks for a while now... All I can say is that we plan to return them! I can remember doing the first couple of Titans and thinking "this is impossible!" Now I crank a Titan out in about five minutes...

Not so with the AirLocks. I don't know who made the brilliant decision to require two bits and and placement pin, but I want him or her punished (preferrably in an open forum, like at a Vision Expo... imagine how popular the Marchon booth would be if you got to throw stuff at the person responsible for... oops, I'm still typing, aren't I???).

Not only are they impossible to drill, but half of the time the lenses come right out after they've been mounted! Marchon should do the right thing and pull these dogs off the market!

Pete "and that's all I have to say about that" Hanlin
    Pete
    I would much rather take the extra 2 second to change the bit, than to have my customers wait for me to order a new Sillouette temple. Also what do you mean "half the time the lenses come right out after they have been mounted". If mounted correctly the only way to seperate the lenses from the frame is to cut the tip off the compression fitting. I have yet to have one of my customers come into my office with a lens in hand from an Airlock.

Red Sox Red Sox Red Sox optirep's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I have been anti-drill for about 3 years now. I think the craze to look like everyone else is over. Plus they make you look 10 years older. I have drilled frames in all my lines and don't really push them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by T KNIGHTON View Post
    Pete
    I would much rather take the extra 2 second to change the bit, than to have my customers wait for me to order a new Sillouette temple. Also what do you mean "half the time the lenses come right out after they have been mounted". If mounted correctly the only way to seperate the lenses from the frame is to cut the tip off the compression fitting. I have yet to have one of my customers come into my office with a lens in hand from an Airlock.
    Are you aware that you have revived a 5+ yr old thread?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well since this old thread has been bumped, might as well put it to good use.

Here is the thing, the plugs suck. They really do. The temples pull apart from the plugs, the plugs are not uniform from one brand the the next, and annoying to work with.

Screws are the answer, and always were the answer. Problem is that most frames use the wrong screws. If it is a nut that you put on the frame that comes out through the back the nut will back off on you. What you want is the screw that you snip to proper side and go through the back.

Anyways, just had to get that off my chest.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't like airlocks...

and although Titans are easy, they're condemmed to be used only in applications of light-overall weight, and clients who don't prized rigidity.

I've been drillin' my rimless for 10 years (past 5 years on a smart drill). I (and Chuck @ Smart Drill) feel that Rodenstock's drill mounts are the "class" of the industry.

My client's love them too...although I sell many more silhouette titans (and family).

Now with LEAP III LSE edging pads (god, those suckers stick on Alize clear gard!), most of my drill-axis problems are over.

Try LEAP III LSE ASAP, you won't regret it!

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'll add to this old thread too.

If you are still doing drill mounts by hand I would strongly recommend getting the Santinelli "Less Stress" drill. I got one about a year ago and now drill mounts are simple. You can achieve acurate hole size, placement and angle for the lens. I first saw the product at a CE seminar, it has been a wonderful addition to my lab tools.

Marchon Airlocks with the screwless temples break on a regular basis. I also pulled all of there product.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    Are you aware that you have revived a 5+ yr old thread?

You mean Pete's really not back to bending frames!?!:D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hanlin View Post
    Having seen the plethora of drill mount screwless frames that have become available since the introduction of Silhouette Titans, we are now working with the Marchon Airlock frames.

Before going further, let me just say that- next to the Titans- the Airlocks are probably the second best drill mount system I've seen. The Charmant and Safilo versions that we have recently tried have both been banished from our shop!

Okay then, on to the Airlocks. If memory serves, there used to be an engineer/cartoonist named "Rube" who drew comics of simple processes that had been hopelessly complicated by spuriously added additional steps and procedures. I think Mr. Rube's grandson must now work for Marchon!

I mean, come on... you have to change the drill bit twice per lens! In fact, there are no less than five different pins and bits used to do each lens (a placement pin, a large drill bit, a burr, an installation thumb tack, and a triangular setting device). Geesh!

On the other hand, I have to admit that the finished product seems more likely to come out on axis and feels more secure than the Titans. Of course, it should feel more secure- considering the relatively mammoth size of the pin that goes through the lens. The other major advantage of the Marchon product I see is the ease with which you can dismount the lens (though I have to wonder if the lens will dismount itself over time).

Anyone have opinions on the Airlock product (or any other drill mount that I may have yet to try)? I appreciate seeing the opinions and experiences of fellow drill mounters!

Pete
    The Airlocks stay together a lot better than the Silhouette Titan. When de-mounting, use a tool from Hilco that effortlessly pulls out the mount from the bushing .
    Bob Taylor

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem I have with Airlocks is that the style without hinges breaks too easily and without warning.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Silver $

I don't sell the Airlock, but I have worked on a few. They aren't any better that the Sillouette, just different.

The best I have seen are from Silver Dollar. That's right, and they are probably half the price that you are paying Marchon. Silver Dollar uses a compression mounting that screws on. They use a nylon bushing that self-threads on the 1.5mm post. You can't tighten it too much like with regular screws because you will strip the head. If you strip the head, that's OK, you have to cut it to get the lens out anyway. When it gets tight, it has formed a compression fit between the post and the 2.0mm hole in the lens. This part is like Airlock, but you screw it on and cut the post. Unlike both compression mounts and screws, IT WILL NOT COME OUT OR LOOSEN. Not once have I had a cracked lens.
    Plus Silver $ is a pleasure to work with. These drill mounts have 3 different temple lengths. They are available with or without hinges. I have never had a defect in the short time we have dispensed them. But when I had a warranty replacement on other models, they sent a prepaid return label. Never once have I had a backorder.

I just pulled my other drill mounts of the board, including Mount, Invincilites, and Modo

In Summary:
    Best features of compression mounts without the drawbacks
    Best features of screw mounts without the drawbacks
    Different temple lengths available
    Half the price of what you are paying
    Great company to work with

Couple the the Titanium hingless model with Trivex w/a 1.0 CT and you have the lightest possible combination of specs

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

my 2c

I currently use the Santinelli ME 1000 that drills lenses and have the Silhouettes and the Airlocks in the database, so it drills automatically and while it takes 10 minutes/ lens I block the other lenses in the line of fire. Simply deburr the lenses and mount them using the handy dandy squishing pliers. Also I cut hte bushings at an oblique angle so they insert more easily.
    Money carefully refunded

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Marchon is not good

We have done some Marchons , the frame itself is ok, but if you are not doing poly/trivex lenses, it could be very exciting- imagine yourself mountign if on CR-39 transition lenses with 2.0 edge or thinner! I did lenses that thin alot, customers really like lenses to be thin and they are carefull enough to handle it.
    we do lots of drill mount, anything comes to our lab(20 a day ), most of them are not poly/trivex, so I am only talking about doing it to non-poly(it will be much easier if all jobs are poly lenses), I have done all sort of crazy stuff, once did one frame with two pins of the temple implanted in to the edge of the lenses!but majority are the silihoutte like press ons , I have to say Silihoutte is the best, yes it may not feel as strong as some frames with thicker pins(marchon, easy-clip etc) on thick lenses, but it is only a feeling, I have never had lenses getting loose or came out on Silihoutter frames with their plugs(secret, different holes sizes for different materials, CR-39,1.6,1.67.1.74, cr-39 Transition, ploly etc).

There are problems with nice looking frames like D&G, Tag , etc, they were designed with BC 6 lenses but we rarely do Rx lense with BC6, and adjusting them are tricky!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wasn't aware they were date sensative.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Airlocks ? Why?

With all the choices out there (thousands), I can't believe that Airlocks and Sillouhettes are still selling like everyone here says they are.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    With all the choices out there (thousands), I can't believe that Airlocks and Sillouhettes are still selling like everyone here says they are.

Brand recognition unfortunately

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know, I'm a wearer and a believer that Silhouette's are the most durable choice out there *for a two year lifespan*. They do seem to give out at a solder point shortly after two years. However, I've had the pleasure of selling numerous other headaches, I mean brands, of rimless both compression and not compression and I've never been as satisfied as I am with Silhouettes.
    I think that the nut and bolt, rigid temple, type of frame will hold up nicely when taken very good care of. I have a pair of antique's that don't even have spring temples, and I wore them all day for years with nary a crack. But with the way patients treat their glasses, I find Silhouette to be consistantly satisfying.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont like Sillouetes!
    People wear them for 5 years and then come back to change the lenses in them!:angry:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    I don't sell the Airlock, but I have worked on a few. They aren't any better that the Sillouette, just different.

The best I have seen are from Silver Dollar. That's right, and they are probably half the price that you are paying Marchon. Silver Dollar uses a compression mounting that screws on. They use a nylon bushing that self-threads on the 1.5mm post. You can't tighten it too much like with regular screws because you will strip the head. If you strip the head, that's OK, you have to cut it to get the lens out anyway. When it gets tight, it has formed a compression fit between the post and the 2.0mm hole in the lens. This part is like Airlock, but you screw it on and cut the post. Unlike both compression mounts and screws, IT WILL NOT COME OUT OR LOOSEN. Not once have I had a cracked lens.
    Plus Silver $ is a pleasure to work with. These drill mounts have 3 different temple lengths. They are available with or without hinges. I have never had a defect in the short time we have dispensed them. But when I had a warranty replacement on other models, they sent a prepaid return label. Never once have I had a backorder.

I just pulled my other drill mounts of the board, including Mount, Invincilites, and Modo

In Summary:
    Best features of compression mounts without the drawbacks
    Best features of screw mounts without the drawbacks
    Different temple lengths available
    Half the price of what you are paying
    Great company to work with

Couple the the Titanium hingless model with Trivex w/a 1.0 CT and you have the lightest possible combination of specs
    Amen on the Silver Dollar Beta Titaniums. We sell more of those than any other brand. We have had a few people that need plastic bushing replaced fairly often, and on one we have replaced them with metal nuts. (he was really rally tough on them). But not one broken lens - we require Trivex for all drills.And you left out:
    Many colors.
    Pretty good at not breaking.
    We've only had three post breakages out of hundreds sold.
    And I don't much care for any hingeless model, though.:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information