Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My daughter is home schooled so she didn't need to see distance well

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My daughter is home schooled so she didn't need to see distance well

Yup, I was told this yesterday. I had a 13 year old girl getting her first glasses and contacts. The correction is -2.25 and -2.50. She told me she had been telling her parents that she couldn't see well for 3 years. Dad says that since she is home schooled and could see fine close up they didn't feel it was important for her to see the distance well.

The girl's correction is slightly stronger then her fathers. I told him this and he said "So that is why she can see well through my glasses". He wore his glasses the entire time they were in our office. I guess it is important that he sees well.

Anyone have something like this happen? I know it wasn't a matter of money, they have insurance.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Bite my tongue......

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Dad says that since she is home schooled and could see fine close up they didn't feel it was important for her to see the distance well.
    This is a classic example of why the people (mom and dad) who home school, should be tested for intelligence!!

:angry:These YardBirds should be brought up on charges of child neglect!:angry:

How is a child going to be better served by home schooling when MORONS like this feel they have the right idea about educating their children.

I wonder if these Flipping Wingnuts ever had these prisoners checked by a dentist?

UGH!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've had it happen, but it was always a matter of money. Before I moved to the DFW area I worked in a really poor section of Memphis. It was nothing to have a -6.00 to walk in without glasses. The highest I think was a -11.00. (ended up being stock Resolutions BTW, Harry. The looked pretty good for something I had ready the next day without a surface lab.) Sometimes they had medicade, but would be waiting till the beginning of the school year and their last pair had broken. I always stresses that I would fix broken pairs as often as necessary for a year. That's where it gets really important to pick your vendors.

Thomas
    Last edited by tntborden; 06-10-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added note to Harry on Resolutions
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

I wonder if these Flipping Wingnuts ever had these prisoners checked by a dentist?

UGH!!

Why Fezz, they can still eat, so what's the problem
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    This is a classic example of why the people (mom and dad) who home school, should be tested for intelligence!!

:angry:These YardBirds should be brought up on charges of child neglect!:angry:

How is a child going to be better served by home schooling when MORONS like this feel they have the right idea about educating their children.

UGH!!
    Hey, Fezz, I love you, man...

Yeah, I know what you mean!

I had this Chinese lady in, and she wanted undercorrected vision! Like, a diopter or something in order to keep herself from progressing! I told her: "No way, China doll! This is the US of A and we don't believe in your "ancient Chinese secret" of undercorrection. Wear full minus or I'll do a little dialing to the department of transportation, OK?

:cheers:
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: racial slur removed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I love you too Man!!!!

;):cheers::D:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love you too guys, but that remark needs to be edited out. VERY inappropriate!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: deleted word

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had this Chinese lady in, and she wanted undercorrected vision! Like, a diopter or something in order to keep herself from progressing! I told her: "No way, China doll! This is the US of A and we don't believe in your "ancient Chinese secret" of undercorrection. Wear full minus or I'll do a little dialing to the department of transportation, OK?
    We see it a lot w/ most asians. They don't want the full minus, but most don't mention about the arresting progression theory. They usually say something like "NO NO, too sharp!" They tend to like the "Monet" filter, I guess.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I love you too guys, but that remark needs to be edited out. VERY inappropriate!
    Come on, Judy, don't be so sensitive.

Ok, I must fess up. That was my lame attempt to create a stir to show how predjudice stings.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: just quote it so it appears again

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Yeah, I know what you mean!

Yeah, I wonder why that hasn't saved Singapore and Hong Kong from their myopia epidemic! :hammer:
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: same as the others

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see this more often than you might think. Certain ethnic groups here(not Asian)want to control the Rx and have actually insisted that the cylinder be taken out or the power be cut for their children. I have not yet been able to figure out why. Nothing to do with money either. And then we have the regular old ignorant parents who can not bear the thought of their little darling wearing glasses so refuse to fill the Rx or believe it will make things worse. Or stranger yet to me is the child who refuses to wear their -2.00s and the parent say's "well what are you gonna do? He just won't wear them." Are you kidding?!!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Come on, Judy, don't be so sensitive.

Ok, I must fess up. That was my lame attempt to create a stir to show how predjudice stings.
    If ONE member is offended by something we write we have not represented Optiboard well. Jerry Huang and Doc in China are 2 members that come immediately to mind. They both are long time, respected members of this community who contribute regularly to these pages. When will we learn to read what we write from the viewpoint of someone else. This has been an incredible waste of time!

PS to DRK When a moderator asks you to edit something...........- JUST DO IT! and stop complaining about someone else's sensitivity.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 09:00 PM.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Communication is the burden of the communicator, and in that I've failed.

Plainly, this. I am a "homeschooler". The fact that the original post included the fact that the uncorrected pediatric myope was homeschooled was somewhat pertinent to the case presentation. Perhaps.

Fezz is just about everyone's favorite poster, and I consider him a friend as well as a gentleman. Nonetheless, it seems he too has a little predjudicial view regarding homeschooling. I would forgive Fezz a thousand times over if he ever accidentally offended me, which he did NOT, BTW. I'm not at all "touchy".

I deliberately set up a sham response to Fezz hoping he'd see himself in the mirror and get a chuckle and then examine his thought process. The comment was intentionally over the top to illustrate that, regardless of the religious or ethnic or social background, certainly undercorrection of myopia is the real problem and it's better to not judge the particular reason, be it cultural or educational-preference based. Agreed?

Either Fezz threw it right back at me by ignoring it, or it was far too subtle, and in that I have failed. At least Judy managed to take some offense and I thought that'd kickstart my plan so I declined to edit. (I see HC has "put the hammer down" on MY deliberate offending word...)

So, apolgies to 2/3 of the world's population and the offended in the remaining 1/3. I'll keep buying your frames.

For all you know, I'm a Chinese-American as well as a wingnut myself.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    If ONE member is offended by something we write we have not represented Optiboard well.

When will we learn to read what we write from the viewpoint of someone else.

This has been an incredible waste of time!
    Maybe not hc! Wise words ^ were indeed elicited! However, they have not been equitably distributed. Oh, well.
    Last edited by drk; 06-10-2008 at 09:54 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe not hc! Wise words were indeed elicited! However, they have not been equitably distributed. Oh, well.
    Thought you'd be interested in one of Googles quotes for today-

"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
    - Anonymous"

Just shows to go you! Can you hear me NOW?
    Lord Byron

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No matter how much this leans that way, I am not gonna say this is the governments job to see that this is done, and vote left.

Now I did have a young lady who occasionally baby sat when my children were small. When she was about 14 her mother brought her in with an Rx of -10.00. I wondered how she had managed to avoid being hit by a buss or something. Her mother told me: "She used to have glasses once but she wouldn't wear them so we didn't get her any more."

Over the years I have seen many young women who had substancial corrections that wouldn't wear glasses. Some confessed to hiding thier glasses in the bushes before catching the school buss and retrieving them on the return trip. Many had never worn thier glasses in thier boy friend's presance and once they got contacts, they ditched him when they saw what they had.

Gerturde Stein was right, at least until lately when glasses became a fashion statement.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Communication is the burden of the communicator, and in that I've failed.

Plainly, this. I am a "homeschooler". The fact that the original post included the fact that the uncorrected pediatric myope was homeschooled was somewhat pertinent to the case presentation. Perhaps.

Fezz is just about everyone's favorite poster, and I consider him a friend as well as a gentleman. Nonetheless, it seems he too has a little predjudicial view regarding homeschooling. I would forgive Fezz a thousand times over if he ever accidentally offended me, which he did NOT, BTW. I'm not at all "touchy".

I deliberately set up a sham response to Fezz hoping he'd see himself in the mirror and get a chuckle and then examine his thought process. The comment was intentionally over the top to illustrate that, regardless of the religious or ethnic or social background, certainly undercorrection of myopia is the real problem and it's better to not judge the particular reason, be it cultural or educational-preference based. Agreed?

Either Fezz threw it right back at me by ignoring it, or it was far too subtle, and in that I have failed. At least Judy managed to take some offense and I thought that'd kickstart my plan so I declined to edit. (I see HC has "put the hammer down" on MY deliberate offending word...)

So, apolgies to 2/3 of the world's population and the offended in the remaining 1/3. I'll keep buying your frames.

For all you know, I'm a Chinese-American as well as a wingnut myself.
    Drk- have you thought of carrying you games of subtlety on by private message.You can pretty much say anything you want even if it makes you look foolish.That way you don't do it in front of everyone else and erase all doubt.
    Lord Byron

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL... cute dad... we see an ignorant father and bunch of arrogant professionals here... :bbg::bbg:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

Now I did have a young lady who occasionally baby sat when my children were small. When she was about 14 her mother brought her in with an Rx of -10.00. I wondered how she had managed to avoid being hit by a buss or something. Her mother told me: "She used to have glasses once but she wouldn't wear them so we didn't get her any more."

Over the years I have seen many young women who had substancial corrections that wouldn't wear glasses.
    Chip
    My mother told me wore her glasses only in school, to drive, and to watch movies. Going through her things I find an rx written 5 days before she married in 1949. The prescription was -5.50 in both eyes. When I look at her wedding pictures I know she could barely see what was going on.

She started wearing her glasses all the time after she got married. My dad didn't care at all.

I meant nothing bad about home schooling in my orginal post. I am sorry this thread took this ugly turn.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Happylady;247142]My mother told me wore her glasses only in school, to drive, and to watch movies. Going through her things I find an rx written 5 days before she married in 1949. The prescription was -5.50 in both eyes. When I look at her wedding pictures I know she could barely see what was going on.[quote]

I mostly find these days that it's the boys who refuse to wear their correction. If it is a girl I always take her aside and explain that I wore glasses all through high school and never lacked for the attention of boys. It's all about your confidence, the right frame, etc. Now granted contact lenses are a godsend for teenagers and when a parent refuses that option to a withdrawn teen with little self confidence I want to whack them one. Your poor mom missed her own wedding.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We had a woman in several years ago who was around a -6.00. She also would not allow us to use her full Rx or obviously, multifocals of some kind since her Rx had a +2.00 add written. She would only allow us to use her intermediate RX, based on her reasoning that both near and far would be blurred some since she's taking the middle power. And she knew what she was doing because she was a Doctor. A Pediatrician at that!:drop:

Two pairs of intermediate glasses, nothing we could do would convince her to try at least one far and one near. But she poo-pooed that, saying she'd just have to keep taking them on and off. Of course, progressives were totally off the list as she was not old enough to need bifocals and she could just take off her glasses to read.
    Supposedy she was a learned person.:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    I see this more often than you might think. Certain ethnic groups here(not Asian)want to control the Rx and have actually insisted that the cylinder be taken out or the power be cut for their children. I have not yet been able to figure out why. Nothing to do with money either. And then we have the regular old ignorant parents who can not bear the thought of their little darling wearing glasses so refuse to fill the Rx or believe it will make things worse. Or stranger yet to me is the child who refuses to wear their -2.00s and the parent say's "well what are you gonna do? He just won't wear them." Are you kidding?!!
    If you have any foolproof ideas for getting a 13 year old girl to wear her specs, PLEASE share!! I have thought about duct taping them to her head, nagging doesn't work, begging doesn't eiether.......maybe we could surgically implant them on her face.:idea:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've had this happen a couple of times as well with Asian patients. I simply ask them "how fuzzy do you want their vision?". They generally look at me blankly and say to make them see well, but don't make their rx too strong (that this is very commonly done in Asia). I reply OK, I'll give them what I originally came up with and they repeat their request to decrease it followed by my original question of how fuzzy do they want it. I'll continue this round robin for a sec and then I'll let them know that despite their cultural bias, their own studies have shown this tactic to actually INCREASE the progression of myopia due to retinal blur. I also point out that if this is widely practiced in Asia, why are they statistically the most near-sighted people on the planet? :hammer:

BTW, I also have a bias against home schooling. I am a doctor, so I'm considerably more educated than most homeschooling parents and I am in NO WAY qualified to "teach" what a school does. Not only does a school have practiced, qualified instructors (for the most part), but a school teaches children how to interact in an interconnected social structure (just like the REST of their lives). Sheltering kids from the "evils" of the world rather than allowing them to slowly be exposed and teaching them to deal with them appropriately leads to reasonably disfunctional college kids that go nuts (either lock themselves in a room or lose it from total lack of supervision). Most home schooled kids I've seen in my life are just sort of weird. They generally lack age appropriate social skills and are either extremely immature or are tiny adults (which is even weirder sometimes).

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    "Write a wise saying and your name will live forever.
    - Anonymous"

Just shows to go you! Can you hear me NOW?

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:41 PM. Reason: racial slur removed

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: deleted word

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: just quote it so it appears again

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: same as the others

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 09:00 PM.

Last edited by hcjilson; 06-10-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Last edited by drk; 06-10-2008 at 09:54 PM.
    I missed out on something..........when I got up this morning I knew that this was the most edited thread of recent times. I better stay away from this one.............I don't want to get edited. :hammer: :bbg:

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    BTW, I also have a bias against home schooling. I am a doctor, so I'm considerably more educated than most homeschooling parents and I am in NO WAY qualified to "teach" what a school does. Not only does a school have practiced, qualified instructors (for the most part), but a school teaches children how to interact in an interconnected social structure (just like the REST of their lives). Sheltering kids from the "evils" of the world rather than allowing them to slowly be exposed and teaching them to deal with them appropriately leads to reasonably disfunctional college kids that go nuts (either lock themselves in a room or lose it from total lack of supervision). Most home schooled kids I've seen in my life are just sort of weird. They generally lack age appropriate social skills and are either extremely immature or are tiny adults (which is even weirder sometimes).[/quote]

I was a little offended by this remark. Do you know any home schooled kids? How about the parents? Are you aware that kids have group activities? In Minnesota parents still have to be accredited to home school. ++++raging gator fan comment coming++++If home schooled kids are so terrible and nonsocial explain to me Tim Tebow and how he leads the gators, won the heisman, is considered the best quarterback in college football. I have a number of patients that are homeschooled and generally are better behaved and have manners. They love to read and enjoy learning...They have outside friends and activities...The people who homeschool decide to do this for multiple reason including not wanting certain subjects shoved in the faces of their kids, a completely lack of morals system taught, and bias based on the kids belief system...

Just my 2 cents
    christina

Thread Information