Thread: Your opinion and experience

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your opinion and experience

Hello,

Sola , at present, is making great claims that their Synchrony progressive is the cat's meow especially for intermediate viewing. They are claiming great success in switching Varilux patient's to the synchrony lens.

In my experience as well as other license opticians we have not found this. In fact, One licensed optician out of over 20 patients switched form Varilux to the Synchrony found it to be a terrible move. He had a zero success rate. :(

What is your experience with this lens in initial fit or switching a patient from another progressive such as Varilux?

Also, What is your experience with the Sola compact Ultra ?

Sincerely,
    Serrata

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Serrata View Post
    Hello,

Sola , at present, is making great claims that their Synchrony progressive is the cat's meow especially for intermediate viewing. They are claiming great success in switching Varilux patient's to the synchrony lens.

In my experience as well as other license opticians we have not found this. In fact, One licensed optician out of over 20 patients switched form Varilux to the Synchrony found it to be a terrible move. He had a zero success rate. :(

What is your experience with this lens in initial fit or switching a patient from another progressive such as Varilux?

Sincerely,
    Serrata
    For us, the Compact Ultra has been a bust. The highest rate of non-adapts we've ever had.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Essilor smallfit has had greater acceptance than the compact ultra. The concord micra from scopus has been excellent as well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hello,

Sincerely,
    Serrata
    I have successfully worn the Synchrony progressive with success and find it to be a decent lens. I have switched Comfort wearers to it with good success. My own trial with the Compact Ultra lasted a couple of hours. The lens had way too much distortion and I would not put it on the face of any of my clients.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One licensed optician out of over 20 patients switched form Varilux to the Synchrony found it to be a terrible move. He had a zero success rate. :(
    Really!? A zero success rate? Wow, 100% non-adapt!

Compact ultra was a bust

Smallfit has had not one complaint that I remember. I like to fit it up to 19mm for the widest possible reading in a small frame. Better than Picollo, IMO.

Another great lens is the Minuo from Excelite, 16mm MFH, CR and Trivex only. Great price, especially in Trivex.

Bad address email on file Freedom's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I not beleive ... one kind of PALs ... have zero success rate????

I think ... may have someting wrong.

But ... in this case is change from varilux.
    It may be possible because Varilux is comfortable lens
    if change to short corridor (have more distortion) ... it will difficult to adaptation.

But if educate consumer before change type of PALs ... consumer accept rate will increase.
    Last edited by Freedom; 06-12-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Really!? A zero success rate? Wow, 100% non-adapt!

Compact ultra was a bust

Smallfit has had not one complaint that I remember. I like to fit it up to 19mm for the widest possible reading in a small frame. Better than Picollo, IMO.

Another great lens is the Minuo from Excelite, 16mm MFH, CR and Trivex only. Great price, especially in Trivex.

Fit the Compact Ultra and you too can have a 0% success rate!
    Act Now Before It's Taken Off The Market!!:bbg:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The AO Compact was the first short corridor I used to fit patients with and it was a good product, no non-adapts. The Hoya CD is another great product, lots of success stories with that lens!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Basically:

Compact Ultra = Boo
    Synchrony = Meh

We had no luck with the Ultra. No one really liked it. I won't say I had 100% non-adapt, but I had enough within a month's time vocalize they didn't like it to not even bother anymore. The Synchrony has been decent. It's not great, it's not bad, it's... meh. :)

We've been using a lot of Supercede's if we need a 14 seg. Works great.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've fit the compact ultra sucessfully. only 8 pairs, because I don't like going that small and many patients agree when I tell them they are going to have a much harder time with mid range, however every patient who opted for it was pleased that they were able to get a small frame and I have had no complaints at dispense or follow up call, as to vision.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    We've been using a lot of Supercede's if we need a 14 seg. Works great.
    Is this Supercede a freeform lens? Is it a midprice or higher price? Is it new?
    Thanks

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I personally like the compact Ultra. hmmmm.... I just bumped my add a bit, so the [I]new[I] one is a bear to get used to. they are great for Near and Far, but forget the computer. I like to wear them in my small frame, and like many of us, we have lots of frames. So I would only sell this lens as a secondary pair for someone who wants another, smaller frame. Not an everyday lens. NO MIDRANGE.

The Piccolo has a pretty good midrange for a short corridor lens. I have worn this lens in another pair for a few years as well, and I have several patients in this lens and they are okay with it.

I don't typically put anyone in a short corridor if that is their everyday glasses!
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Is this Supercede a freeform lens? Is it a midprice or higher price? Is it new?
    Thanks
    The Supercede is one of Seiko's Free-Form Design lenses. I have had no non-adapts with it and it is the best progressive that I have ever worn. I can't understand why anyone would use a Compact Ultra when there is this great technonogy available. The minimum fitting height is 14 on this lens.
    As a matter of interest I have just started to try the Seiko WS (Wide & Short) Progressive lens and also find it to be great. Minimum fitting height here is 15. I cna look at my desk and glance to the peripheral and see the buttons on the phone clearly without moving my head.
    Both lenses are premium lenses but we all know that particularly with progressives.....you get what you pay for!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been finding myself defaulting to the Seiko lenses (Suceed, WS, Supercede). They just seem to work a lot better. Very little patient complaints. No non-adapts (so far). In fact, yesterday was the first time we had someone come in who actually was having issues using them, and we've been using the lenses for months now. The pricepoint is decent on the suceed and WS, and a bit high on the supercede, but EVERYONE who's used the supercede has gone out of their way to tell us how good they are.

Thread Information