Thread: How long does it take for a spectera job?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

How long does it take for a spectera job?

My opticians are telling me that it takes about 2 weeks for Spectera jobs to get done. Apparently they claim that it takes one week alone for Spectera to deal with the paperwork once the job has arrived at the lab. Only after that week does the lab actually start doing the job. Has anyone else experienced this?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can get 50% of your jobs back in 2 weeks consider yourself blessed

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    My opticians are telling me that it takes about 2 weeks for Spectera jobs to get done. Apparently they claim that it takes one week alone for Spectera to deal with the paperwork once the job has arrived at the lab. Only after that week does the lab actually start doing the job. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Too damn long. Crown Optical is a joke!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Hi Doc!

We take Spectera where I am now and 2 to 3 weeks is about average. We did have one job that took 5 weeks.

Good luck!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good golly, an ophthalmologist that takes spectera? Only one around here that will stoop that low is wally world.

Though all our local OMDs only do surgery and stay completely busy with the $$.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my old office, when we accepted Spectera, we told the patients that their glasses would take 3-4 weeks. Fastest was 3 days (WOW!!!) slowest was 4 weeks for the original order that came in nearly a diopter off power and scratched and an additional 5 weeks for the remake. Keep in mind the difficulty involved in processing ~-2 lenses in SRC CR-39. I feel that is completely understandable, especially when I spoke with the lab manager and he told me that over half the lab was fired that month and they were training new hires.

I could have edged the lenses with the receptionist's nail file in that time!
    --Rant off!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I found that if you place your orders on spectera's website then the time comes down to about a week and a half to two weeks. However, any remakes take on average three to four weeks no matter what. Crown also outsources half the jobs to Hoya or Essilor so you get any delay there also. Suggest if you don't have to take Spectera don't. If you have to, or choose to anyway, Good Luck.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    for.freaking.ever. That's how long. They should let you do it yourself uncut, you might actually make some money.
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Once upon a time this office was a franchise. Somehow under the radar we use our own lab for Spectera and apparently get paid a bit more. If they ever tell us we need to abide by their silly frames and their incompetent lab it will be the end of our relationship with them.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

No more Spectera

We took Spectera for 1 year here and owed them about $300.00 at the end! They still are sending a statement 18 months later,as if! Beware of the 3 month warranty on coatings,including Alize!! Avg. turnaround time 3 weeks. When I ran a Sight For Sore Eyes store,we could do them in house and bill for fees, much better!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

spectera @ walmart

we do a lot of spectera in nevada, it takes 5 to 7 days, i'm sure the logistics of it all are set up to be quite easy.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Somehow under the radar we use our own lab for Spectera and apparently get paid a bit more.
    It's called the Patriot Plan. We do quite a bit with it, and it's really nice. Pick any frame, pt pays overage, go in back edge stock, get a nice check a few weeks later.

It's the only way we'll do it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 01-04-2010 at 04:41 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    It's called the Patriot Plan. We do quite a bit with it, and it's really nice. Pick any frame, pt pays overage, go in back edge stock, get a nice check a few weeks later.

It's the only way we'll do it.
    Sorry Johns but I don't know what you're talking about?? I'm not aware that any option such as this exists for Spectera. Is this a subtle joke that I'm missing? If there were any way to bypass Crown lab and to do the jobs ourselves I would do it in a heartbeat. But unless I've misunderstood their deal I don't think it's possible.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    Good golly, an ophthalmologist that takes spectera? Only one around here that will stoop that low is wally world.

Though all our local OMDs only do surgery and stay completely busy with the $$.
    The reason why an OMD would take spectera is because a lot of our patients seem to have it. These are patients who we are seeing for pathology or who we are doing surgery on. When they inform us that they have spectera it's simply a courtesy and a convenience for them that we will accept it. There is also a possibility that we would lose perfectly well-insured patients (ie: Medicare, PPO's) simply because they prefer to one-stop shop at another OMD who WILL take their crappy Spectera. However, I agree that one should never accept it for its sake alone.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 01-04-2010 at 04:41 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    they will let you switch to a more local Essilor owned lab and that seems to help turn time a bit......
    Let the refining and improving of your own life keep you so busy that you have little time to criticize others. -H. Jackson Brown Jr.

If the only tool you have is a hammer you will approach every problem as though it were a nail

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by karen View Post
    they will let you switch to a more local Essilor owned lab and that seems to help turn time a bit......
    What does spectera has to do with Essilor?!!?:hammer:

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by ilanh View Post
    The reason why an OMD would take spectera is because a lot of our patients seem to have it. These are patients who we are seeing for pathology or who we are doing surgery on. When they inform us that they have spectera it's simply a courtesy and a convenience for them that we will accept it. There is also a possibility that we would lose perfectly well-insured patients (ie: Medicare, PPO's) simply because they prefer to one-stop shop at another OMD who WILL take their crappy Spectera. However, I agree that one should never accept it for its sake alone.

That is interesting. Do you have many OD referrals? Our local OMDs work directly with the patients ODs. The only time they see my patients are for surgery, and they do a lot of it. I handle all the glaucoma, red eyes, diabetics, uveitis, etc. They don't have an optical at all. Personally the only OMDs I want my patients seeing are those who do a lot of surgery.

Perpetuating low ball insurance plans definitely can't be helping your surgical side.

Thread Information