Thread: Paperless lab system (OfficeMate)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Paperless lab system (OfficeMate)

I recently interviewed at an OD that is looking to go paperless.
    Does anyone have any experience with automated systems?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post
    I recently interviewed at an OD that is looking to go paperless.
    Does anyone have any experience with automated systems?

My doctor mention this as well. any info on this?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are 100% paperless. It's so awesome, everything is right at your finger tips. No more hunting charts!!

We use Crystal software so I really can't comment on Office mate.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Try My Vision Express. It's an excellent Practice Management software with EMR (Electronic Medical Records). You can get a Free, 30-day trial at our website http://www.myvisionexpress.com.

I would be happy to schedule a live demo for you, just contact me at the number below.

Sincerely,

Jorge Torres
    Sales Manager
    Insight Software, LLC
    http://myvisionexpress.com
    877-882-7456 Ext. 721

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    We have Office Mate....and I dont like it at all! Its horrible when it comes to patient payment ledgers, entering insurance checks, and their tech support is worthless. If you file electronically (we do with Gateway EDI) watch out....I had a problem and they blamed Gateway...called gateway and they blamed Office Mate. Made me :angry:!!
    If you need to reopen a claim for corrections...you have to kick EVERYONE out of the program to run a utility to open claims back up for correction and resubmission. I wish my doc would get rid of it!

Bad address email on file gjhazard's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Avoid Office Mate

Now that Marchon's Office Mate is being absorbed by VSP I would avoid it at all costs. It is an ok system but I have used much better. Where I work now we use the Next Gen system. It is great for the medical portion of program and the "Optik" portion is fantastic for our optical. It interfaces with Vision Web with one key stroke. It has saved us time and money. It vurtually eliminated doulbe orders and other issues like that.

Like most thing VSP gets involved it usually goes south for the provider.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    We are 100% paperless. It's so awesome, everything is right at your finger tips. No more hunting charts!!

We use Crystal software so I really can't comment on Office mate.

PM me if you have any questions.
    Could you point us to a website for Crystal Software. A Google search didn't really yield anything related to optics.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

stay away

Stay FAR away from officemate. It takes forever to set up and configure. I also had problems with gateway EDI and office mate and my claims.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are in the process of going paperless. Transition isn't easy. Jury is still out on the results.
    We use the Eyecom office management software. I personaly am not a big fan.
    goodsearch.com vosh

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Could you point us to a website for Crystal Software. A Google search didn't really yield anything related to optics.
    Here you go: www.crystalpm.com/

:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Go with My Vision Express, we just recently purchased their system. We had Medinotes and it just plain wasn't cutting it. The myvisionexpress team I would have thought would be feed up with us the number of calls we would make to ask a few question or to have something fixed. They would literally log into our computer remotely within minutes and fix the problem. Only once did a problem last fro more than a day and the fix was a new version of the software to fix our porblem. You'd think we were their only customer and throwing gobs of money at them. The software is great on all ends and fairly easy to use. September si the first full month we go MVE and the staff can't wait it's actually energized our office.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Officemate is great

I have been using Officemate since 1995, when it was DOS. It interfaces with Visionweb, as well as many of my eye exam instruments for digital photography, retinal scan, etc. Every year, there are numerous improvements made, and many of them because of client requests. They have a separate program for multiple offices to be linked. The only thing it doesn't do is accounts payables, but I use Quickbooks for that. My accountant prefers it anyway. Now, they are incorporating CyberEyes. I also do all my exams on it and this will actually become legally required in a few years.

The secret is to set up everything well at the beginning and enter the information consistently every time. Recently, I had a company send out 2000 letters, based on a search of my database who fit the parameters for a particular progressive lens. I had an increase in sales of $20,000 last month from that. I also track inventory and use the Frames data CD to enter the information. When we scan the price tag, all the frame information, including measurements go directly into the patient's order.

If you have a problem with the software, and it involves a third party product, they do bounce you around (both of the companies will). So far, this hasn't been a major problem. Most of the time, it's been the other company's fault, not Officemate's. And you do have to upgrade your computer periodically, because your database will grow over time and the newer versions of the software will require more from the computer. It also is not compatible with Vista, so you have to keep that in mind.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have been using OfficeMate/Examwriter since 9/05 and am pretty satisfied. I am looking to purchase a retinal camera soon and am trying to find the best one quality-wise, but hopefully that will also easily integrate into Examwriter. Any suggestions?

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

reports

are you using the reports in Optik?

Quote Originally Posted by gjhazard View Post
    Now that Marchon's Office Mate is being absorbed by VSP I would avoid it at all costs. It is an ok system but I have used much better. Where I work now we use the Next Gen system. It is great for the medical portion of program and the "Optik" portion is fantastic for our optical. It interfaces with Vision Web with one key stroke. It has saved us time and money. It vurtually eliminated doulbe orders and other issues like that.

Like most thing VSP gets involved it usually goes south for the provider.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

paperless

keep in mind all of you that do insurance, that it is only about a little over a year when the new federal law takes place that will force you to do all insurance paperless

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If you take the time initially to learn how to use Office mate it works great. No problem with bookkeeping/ledgers. Sure you have to enter each item/Vcode into system but when you link it with a bar code scanner it's easy-just point and shoot. Great for inventory and tracking jobs when you link it with VisionWeb to certain labs. You can do insurance reviews to see which ones are the least/most profitable, do recalls and mailing to people based on hobbies, jobs, previous purchases...no complaints here...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDie View Post
    We are in the process of going paperless. Transition isn't easy. Jury is still out on the results.
    We use the Eyecom office management software. I personaly am not a big fan.
    Ahh quoting myself..........is that narcissistic or what?

Anyway we have abandoned the paperless thing. With the Eyecom the exam portion required doctor to go to many different screens just to get a basic exam in. Then sometimes when we were entering a contact lens order it would pop the spec Rx into that page so we always had to double check. When entering a spec order sometimes it would automaticly pop in last years Rx. So to sum up..........it was difficult to use and not trustworthy.
    We have gone back to paper and we are much happier.
    Here in the US do you think we will REALLY be required to go paperless? Or will it be just too overwhelming? I can't see where it is feasable forfeasibletors to do that.
    goodsearch.com vosh

Occupation
    The major issue is whether the owner of the business wants to go "paperless" or even implement a computerized practice management system. Some do - some don't. If there is a desire to go "paperless" there are many methods available. Again, the choice of programs is a decision that must come from the owner of the enterprise and should meet his needs.

opticianjohn

Confused Paperless...which system to choose?

I have worked in several offices that have used Compulink, My Vision Express, MaximEyes and OfficeMate. I found Compulink and My Vision Express to be user friendly and to the point. MaximEyes is very detailed but the information layout can be overwhelming.

I am currently using OfficeMate. It is difficult to navigate and the help topics and user guide aren't helpful. I have been trying to resolve an issue with OfficeMate customer service. It is one patient's ledger and I have been going back and forth with customer service for a week and a half. And it still is not resolved.

Out of the ones I have used I liked Compulink or My Vision Express best! Of course, these are just my opinion. Good luck in your "paperless" search!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Paperless is wonderful!

You will save a ton of time and money going paperless in the long run, but its hard getting there.

We only scan old charts when a patient returns for their exam, that we do a small amount at time.

Officemate is misrable however. I don't think thier people have ever used their own software. I wanted to take an Officemate class and they were charging $600 per person! for 4 hours! Bugs are fixed over the course years, improvements are glacial, and it takes forever to enter an order, and they still use Access as the database engine (ancient). So if you like trouble shooting bugs and waiting 2 weeks for customer service to respond and paying a lot for the privledge, Officemate might be just for you.

Sharpstick

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    You will save a ton of time and money going paperless in the long run, but its hard getting there.

We only scan old charts when a patient returns for their exam, that we do a small amount at time.

Officemate is misrable however. I don't think thier people have ever used their own software. I wanted to take an Officemate class and they were charging $600 per person! for 4 hours! Bugs are fixed over the course years, improvements are glacial, and it takes forever to enter an order, and they still use Access as the database engine (ancient). So if you like trouble shooting bugs and waiting 2 weeks for customer service to respond and paying a lot for the privledge, Officemate might be just for you.

Sharpstick
    OMG! That was so absolutely ACCURATE!!!!!! I hated OM at my last practice.....hated it!

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Um... was the original question about a paperless LAB system?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Um... was the original question about a paperless LAB system?
    Our Lab system is paperless as well.. :shrug:
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

officmate problems

I have been with officemate for 12 years and am pretty happy with them, the key is to set everything up before you start really working with it. if anyone needs help on this let me know.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Avoid MYVisionExpress
    I found the program to be far more complicated than need be.It seems like it was written by someone that has never dispensed eyeglasses

Thread Information