Thread: Michigan Consumer Pushing For Licensing

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Michigan Consumer Pushing For Licensing

It seems that some poor soul in Michigan had a helluva time getting a pair of glasses. So she is pressing for legislation. Wouldn't it be a pisser if granny did what the trade has been unable to do after all these years. Check out the story here:

http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/stor...ory15001.shtml

Bad address email on file Christosfer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Gov't to the rescue...not

I would like to hear the Optician's side of the story. I'm not saying that aren't some nightmares out there, but how many people make 14 trips?
    I've had people cursing me because they can't see out of their -.25's saying the measurements were off. Don't get me going today.
    Licensing doesn't give anyone creative problem solving skills, or a personality.
    Perhaps in this case it was not adequately explained to her that her vision would suck. That would be my guess.:angry:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    GO Granny GO! I wish that I was going to be in town, I would like to hear what she has to say. After living in Florida and becoming licensed, when I moved back to Michigan (not sure why i came back), I was shocked at how little most of the so called Opticians actually know. I personally would love to some type of regulations put into place to help protect he consumer and also help increase or pay.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Evidence

Quote Originally Posted by Christosfer View Post
    I would like to hear the Optician's side of the story. I'm not saying that aren't some nightmares out there, but how many people make 14 trips?
    I've had people cursing me because they can't see out of their -.25's saying the measurements were off. Don't get me going today.
    Licensing doesn't give anyone creative problem solving skills, or a personality.
    Perhaps in this case it was not adequately explained to her that her vision would suck. That would be my guess.:angry:
    A license provides evidence of SOME learning and achievement. Without it you have only your word. I know, I know, you have thousands of patients/customers who would say you are the best Optician in the world, but think about it. I cannot believe anyone would not want to gain licensure in their state, and encourage you not to view this from a personal perspective, but the overall good it can bring to the profession itself. Without some proof of some level of attainment anyone can do what we do. We must improve or soon be left completely out of the health care system. How many ads are in your paper seeking optometric assistants.....no training required, will train. Think about this, the only real requirement to call yourself an Optician in many states is a pulse. Licensure does not measure personality, nor good looks, but it does measure your knowledge, and proves that an outside reviewer has deemed you at least competent. Now someone from an unlicensed state will say that they know of hundreds of incompetent license holders, and that may be true from their perspective, but at least it is something. We are the ONLY "profession" I am aware of that doesn't not require any level of education, and only 22 states require a license. Please consider the importance of this coming from someone other than an Optician for a change. Michigan tried many times and failed. We need folks like her who recognize the importance of a professional Optician. I thank God for this lady!
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 05-17-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Occupation
    You want to hear the other side of the story? Well she cited the source of her complaint. Go ask them for her records. Perhaps a subpoena.

You who are still in the trade in Michigan should provide her with all of her transportation around the state. Make her up some nice looking glasses when she goes to the state house to lobby your cause. A few thousand bucks of money contributed to the right election campaigns by every independent optician in the state will also do wonders for your cause.

As long as opticians continue to play bean bag you will end up suckling the hind teat.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    It seems that some poor soul in Michigan had a helluva time getting a pair of glasses. So she is pressing for legislation. Wouldn't it be a pisser if granny did what the trade has been unable to do after all these years. Check out the story here:

http://www.sourcenewspapers.com/stor...ory15001.shtml
    The article says she has " low vision of the central vein occlusion " I wasn't aware that the central vein occlusion was capable of sight . If it is capable of sight then she has a wonderful Optician , Optometrist & Ophthalmologist.

The optician might want to visit a lawyer. There is an "L" word they might want to learn about .

Another useless article that stirs people up with no facts . There is nothing here that even says what her script was or what the problem is or what the fix was , other than " low vision of the central vein occlusion " , and that most certainly has nothing to do with the optician or the glasses. Neither glasses nor an optician can repair a central vein occlusion.

Now if it had been a torn retina with a punctured cornea , now that is a different matter . A little duct tape here , a little duct tape there .....
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 05-16-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Occupation
    I wouldn't think that you would let facts stand in the way of you getting licensing in Michigan, or any other state.

I really didn't post this tidbit of news to instigate a diagnostic pissin contest. My thought was that the licensing issue would transcend a single encounter between an optician and a consumer. You bozos are always citing the consumer protection aspect of licensing and when a case to prove your point comes up and bites you in the *** you cant seem to grab hold of it and run. No wonder opticianry is a dying trade.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    GO Granny GO! I wish that I was going to be in town, I would like to hear what she has to say. After living in Florida and becoming licensed, when I moved back to Michigan (not sure why i came back), I was shocked at how little most of the so called Opticians actually know. I personally would love to some type of regulations put into place to help protect he consumer and also help increase or pay.

From the info contained in this article , the only regulation that is needed is:
    (1) teach other opticians to read before they condemn their own
    (2) teach reporters to research before they write
    (3) teach people what "low vision of the central vein occlusion" means

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I wouldn't think that you would let facts stand in the way of you getting licensing in Michigan, or any other state.

I really didn't post this tidbit of news to instigate a diagnostic pissin contest. My thought was that the licensing issue would transcend a single encounter between an optician and a consumer. You bozos are always citing the consumer protection aspect of licensing and when a case to prove your point comes up and bites you in the *** you cant seem to grab hold of it and run. No wonder opticianry is a dying trade.
    How long do you think those kinds of errors would stand up ? That kind of nonsense wouldn't make it past the first lawyer before it got shot down .

Licensing is a good thing but this case is only proof as to why reporters and newspapers need to be licensed and strongly regulated .

This "case" as stated only proves the ignorance of reporters and the patient .
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 05-16-2008 at 11:30 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The article says she has " low vision of the central vein occlusion " I wasn't aware that the central vein occlusion was capable of sight . If it is capable of sight then she has a wonderful Optician , Optometrist & Ophthalmologist.
    CRVO's that resolve and reperfuse usually have pretty good vision. It's Central Retinal Artery Occlusions that typically have terrible vision (hand-motion / light-percetion most typical).

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    So are we saying that 14 visits to an optician for the same pair of glasses is acceptable? Asuming that she didn't have acceptable vision it took 14 tries to figure that out? What kind of vision was she provided on trip 14 that stoped that figure from balloning to 29 trip? Good for her shes ****** that she's gotta travel back and forth to the optician 14 times, with gas prices what they are it probably cost her more in gas than the glasses are worth.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sounds to me like she's blaming the Optician for filling a bad Rx. Where's her outrage at the Dr. who prescribed the Rx?

We had a lady recently who ordered a nice pair of AR drillmounts. She had trouble reading, took them back to a husband/wife OD duo who held them up to the light and proclaimed the progressive was too high. They "measured" them at 24 when they actually were at 20, where they were supposed to be. I then marked them up, showed her that they were in fact in the proper place.Of course then I found out she hadn't had her eyes checked for over 7 years. Neutralizing her old Rx, she had added plus and a stronger add. Should have been able to read better.Meanwhile she wants to change frames to a semi-rimless which I told her would be slightly heavier. Then she's convinced the new segs were too low and thinks we know nothing about making glasses because these new ones were heavier. Still can't read. I send her back to the Drs and the wife does the refraction.Guess what - the EXACT SAME Rx! We all know how likely that would be considering her cylinder and such. So I'm convinced these ODs just want to get rid of her and blame the glasses. (had problems with them before). She again wants her money back( we again know nothing about making glasses), I refuse. I tell her I will remake them one more time back into her drillmount, BUT only if she goes to a different Dr. She comes back with a new Rx, the add bumped .75D and a few minor distance Rx changes. We make them, she grudgingly admits she can see fine and reading is perfect. So I just have to mention to her"All this time you thought we didn't know how to make glasses, all this added expense to us and you was all because you had a bad Rx to begin with, not our fault at all." Probably will never see her again, don't care. OTOH, she might be impressed, who knows?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedema View Post
    CRVO's that resolve and reperfuse usually have pretty good vision. It's Central Retinal Artery Occlusions that typically have terrible vision (hand-motion / light-percetion most typical).

CRVO's are vascular disorders . They may cause sight disorders . The vascular system is necessary for sight, but it is not capable of sight . One does not have "low vision of the central vein occlusion" .

IF your fingernail penetrates the eye would you say the patient has "low vision of the fingernail" ?

The vascular system also carries blood to the foot , but can you see with a toe ?

You can have anal glaucoma though .
    http://mistupid.com/jokes/page095.htm
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 05-17-2008 at 09:17 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In as much as licensing is in place to protect the consumer, it would seem that this consumer is the very person to begin the call for licensing in her state.

I'm sure that OAA and the Michigan Opticians are right on top of this one.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    LOL, that's rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty
    I'm sure that OAA and the Michigan Opticians are right on top of this one.
    ;)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    CRVO's are vascular disorders . They may cause sight disorders . The vascular system is necessary for sight, but it is not capable of sight . One does not have "low vision of the central vein occlusion" .

IF your fingernail penetrates the eye would you say the patient has "low vision of the fingernail" ?

The vascular system also carries blood to the foot , but can you see with a toe ?

Hahaha, maybe someone should be going after the credentials of Michigan's newspaper writers and editors.:angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You who are still in the trade in Michigan should provide her with all of her transportation around the state. Make her up some nice looking glasses when she goes to the state house to lobby your cause. A few thousand bucks of money contributed to the right election campaigns by every independent optician in the state will also do wonders for your cause.
    I'm a board certified optician in the state of Michigan. I don't have a "cause". Quite honestly if you are certified and experienced in this state you can have a career and make a decent living. Judging by all the rules and regulations that come along with a mandatory certification state I would rather not.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've been talking to a state rep about getting this started in Minnesota. We need it badly.

Thread Information