Thread: Contact Lens dispensing rules?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Contact Lens dispensing rules?

Anyone around here from AZ? I'm from NY, I work for a national optical chain, and I had to call a branch of our company in Mesa, AZ for a contact lens RX so that I could fill a script for a patient visiting family in our area as she had forgotten her boxes. They told me that they could not fax me the chart because the patient had already purchased a year's supply! They did give me a script, so I gave her tls to get her by til she could get home as a courtesy, but the person I spoke with there said that because of "some regulation" they could not sell more than a year's supply to a patient within a year. Could someone clarify that for me please? I'm very curious.:)

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No such regulation. In any event "they" wouldn't be selling the patient anything, "they " would simply be furnishing a current script.
    You can (won't get into the argument about whether you should" can sell the patient as many lenses as you want as long as the Rx is current.

i.e. The doctor is a cheap SOB. Advise patient to find an ethical doctor when he returns home.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    State regulation or not, that would be inadvisable as it's the same company I work for.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And what exactly constitutes a year's supply? Eight boxes? Ten? If the patient prefers to change their lenses more often than the recommended schedule, who are we to say no? I ran into an issue like this a few years ago. The prescribing OD did not want to release the Rx as the patient had already purchased that "year supply". No such thing, hand it over, it's hers.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    One of our best customers throws away her Acuvue Advance daily.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    You can't shorten the expiration date on the Rx, period. So, if this patient throws them away sooner as Harry said, and use them for 1 week, they are out of luck? Not! Another reason to not work for corporate. Surprised they didn't make you fax a records release form first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Surprised they didn't make you fax a records release form first.
    With the birth certificate and unexpired Passport!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

TRUE SOB for that however

i also feel that they are not treating that pt very well

i have been seeing more and more cl rx's that state the max # of boxes -
    however - usually when i call - they state that the cl wearer can get 1 box or so -

I do have a ?- when u are dealing with those pts that lets say - 1 or 2 days prior to the expiration dates - try to order another 1 or even 2 years of lenses -
    I know some here will say - " oh its there rx - they should be entitled to it - and order what ever they wish - but on the other hand - how do we handle some state statu. that place the responsibity of ones eye health in your hands -

how can u justify saying the pt will be - ( or is fine ) - when in fact you are not placing them in the slit lamp ?

i know our office - simply will give those pts 1 box - to ensure they have enough lenses for the year - or if the rx is coming up very soon - will throw some trials at them - to hold them over -

as for those pts that use the lenses less then the perscribers set - would his not be on the file - and the 1 yr supply corriladte accordingly - ?

Since that notification of contact lens law went into effect - (( i have been told that those pts that abuse there lenses - are now being seen more - )) - is this not a good thing - ?
    I personally have seen folks in the past go 3 or 4 years with out a check up - and finally when they have to return to see the doc - they are clearly over wearing there lenses - and should have been pulled out for a break awhile ago ---- some even have ulcers forming - usually these are the 20 or 30 yr old s - that live in there lenses and refuse to take them out -
    If they would have just come back - they could have been changed to a newer product ---

i think it is not always best to just sell the pt what ever and when ever they want lenses - just to make them happy - and in their eyes not take up there BUSY time - coming in for an apt -

as for the one in ? here - that is nuts - the person was on vacation - come on - that doc is a SOB and i would find myself another one -
    granted this pt was prob. one of those -.50's that you know - "CAN see anything with out them "" LOL

hope everyone has a great week -
    b

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Why wouldn't you suggest she buy AV Moist One Days. Pretty questionable to sell 6 lenses to someone, when you know she tosses them daily. Man, that's 5 boxes a month per eye. Quite expensive and profitable for you!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's only questionable if you know all the facts, which obviously you don't. The patient might have tried all other types of contacts, and is only able, or only WANTS to wear this type. If they know they're throwing them out faster than they could, there's nothing sinister going on. I'd much rather they throw them out sooner, than wear them twice as long as they should.

Thread Information