Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance PD vs Near Pd

Hi,

Ok in the olden days if a distance PD was 67, you would take 3 off, or substract 3 to get a near PD of 64. Is that still the rule? Remember, I am a returning optician after a +10 year break. Thanks all!!:hammer:

Near PD.........................

Originally posted by Leighlee View Post
    Hi,

Ok in the olden days if a distance PD was 67, you would take 3 off, or substract 3 to get a near PD of 64. Is that still the rule? Remember, I am a returning optician after a +10 year break. Thanks all!!:hammer:
    That is still the rule for near PD at normal reading distsnace. However it can change if the Rx is for very clos up or further away. Pure mathematics.

Comment

Originally posted by Leighlee View Post
      Hi,

People with narrow PD's converge less, wide PD's more, so 55/53, 60/57, 70/66 - PAL's usually allow 5mm inset from MRP to reading - if any Kentucky windage necessary, remember base in is better than base out for reading

Comment

Take each independently

Each should be taken independently. Every person is different. With a CRP, it's easy enough to simply set the distance and take the correct measurement. If you do it using a penlight and a ruler, simply have them focus at the appropriate near distance.

I've never taught take the distance and subtract 3 mm.

Diane
        Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Comment

I also take one using CRP if fitting sv or prog. If they are wearing flat-tops, I use what finefocus said above. People do not like it when one bif looks different than the other(more inset). "My old ones ain't that way". Me: "well mr. W, your left eye sits about 2mm farthur out than your right and these are optically perfect" Mr. W "my old ones ain't that way" Repeat above about 4 times, then re-do using the above way to get a near PD.

Comment

HAH! Scooped Chilinguerian, who probaby has this tatooed on his ****...

You can also measure a Distance PD and calculate the Near PD for any reading distance using:
            Near PD = [Distance PD mm * (10 * Reading Distance cm)] / [(10 * Reading Distance cm) + 27]
            where the Reading Distance is given in centimeters and the PDs are in millimeters.

Comment

That's also assuming normal convergence though. I usually just take off 3, unless they have an odd distance PD, then I take both.

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post
                You can also measure a Distance PD and calculate the Near PD for any reading distance using:
                Near PD = [Distance PD mm * (10 * Reading Distance cm)] / [(10 * Reading Distance cm) + 27]
                where the Reading Distance is given in centimeters and the PDs are in millimeters.

NPD / WD = DPD / (WD + CTR)

Then you cross multiply to get the form of the equation you have there.

Also the seperate sides of the equation give you the angle the eye deviates to view the object. Here's a graphic example. Beat that Drk. ;)
                Attached Files
                1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
                1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
                1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

I got....nothing. :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by drk View Post
                    I got....nothing. :cheers:
                    LOL, you had it. Feel free to download and use the image GPL.
                    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
                    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
                    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                    X