Thread: What are some good High end frames?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What are some good High end frames?

I hope to be working for an OD who wants to open a high end optical dept. What are some of the best selling high end brands?? I've been working in retail for so long I have no clue what the best brands are. Any insight would be helpfull.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oliver Peoples/Paul Smith, Lafont, Tag Heuer, Silhouette, Exottica, Like it or not some Luxottica/Safilo/Marchon lines have great name reckognition. In todays market there is no line anyone cant live without, walk away from a line if the rep cant make the line work for you. Mix it up with some obscure yet good lines like You's Eyewear. There are pleanty of small unknown lines out there that you can make great money on and have something your competition does not have.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Beausoleil, iC!Berlin, T2, Toki, Gold and Wood (luxury, not merely "High-end), Eye D. C., J.F. Rey, Anne Et Valentine, Lindberg, Chrome Hearts, Alain Mikli and Sama - just to name a few more.

Good luck!

:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional Mike Fretto's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didnt see Cazal mentioned
    Mike

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fretto View Post
    Didnt see Cazal mentioned
    That wasn't an accident.

Want to buy some? I'll sell them cheap! ;)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper High End........................

Funny Term always used on Optiboard...............................

High end sol I looked it up and found an answer:

Answer

High end meaning expensive. Shoes that are 100 dollars are high end shoes compared to shoes that are 30 dollars.

------------------------------------

Actually there is no mentioning about higher or better quality it just simply means "expensive".

So who now makes them expensive ? I guess it must be the branding of the product.

I remember the local jeans manufacturer 20 years ago who made just one type or model of jeans.

He sold them to K-Mart at $ 9.00 and to Sears at 12.00 un-marked and un-branded.

Then he put a Christian Dior label on them and they got sold to boutiques at $ 48.00............................who them re-sold them for $ 100.00.

So if you bought them at K-Mart or Sears they were just working jeans...................but when you got them at the high end boutique they were put on to go to church or a fancy party and were not used to repair the car.

You might also find those high end frames also at a no brand distributor who buy's them of the same source in China without the brand name label.

..:D.......................................................:bbg:..
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-13-2008 at 11:13 AM.

Bad address email on file Christosfer's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

True in some cases

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Funny Term always used on Optiboard...............................

High end sol I looked it up and found an answer:

Answer

High end meaning expensive. Shoes that are 100 dollars are high end shoes compared to shoes that are 30 dollars.

------------------------------------

Actually there is no mentioning about higher or better quality it just simply means "expensive".

So who now makes them expensive ? I guess it must be the branding of the product.

I remember the local jeans manufacturer 20 years ago who made just one type or model of jeans.

He sold them to K-Mart at $ 9.00 and to Sears at 12.00 un-marked and un-branded.

Then he put a Christian Dior label on them and they got sold to boutiques at $ 48.00............................who them re-sold them for $ 100.00.

So if you bought them at K-Mart or Sears they were just working jeans...................but when you got them at the high end boutique they were put on to go to church or a fancy party and were not used to repair the car.

You might also find those high end frames also at a no brand distributor who buy's them of the same source in China without the brand name label.

..:D.......................................................:bbg:..

This is true in some many cases. I just looked at a couple pairs of Jimmy Choo sunglasses (very much high end prices) and they were about the quality you get at the local gas station.
    However, many of them, Mikli for example, are very nice quality and they are set apart in style. I would agree that many of the brand names I see out there are the frames that I see on the MA board. They just get an exclusive on that shade of red or something and the price is 3x.

Here would be my advice for buying high end frames...for what it's worth. (I have some experience in "high end") Steer towards the brands that are eyewear designers and not shoe designers. (I do like Prada) :(
    Optigirls list is quite good. Go with those for starts.
    Look for quality and style and not just a name!!!!!!!!!

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optigrrl View Post
    Beausoleil, iC!Berlin, T2, Toki, Gold and Wood (luxury, not merely "High-end), Eye D. C., J.F. Rey, Anne Et Valentine, Lindberg, Chrome Hearts, Alain Mikli and Sama - just to name a few more.

Good luck!

:cheers:
    Ditto, add Barton Perriera and SALT optics (ex-Oliver Peoples people), STARCK eyes (via Mikli), Cutler and Gross (very vintage inspired), LA Eyeworks (loving the new collection, vintage + colour and pattern), Mykita (no screws or solder points), Orgreen, and my personal favorite, rapp. Mel Rapp is an optician from Toronto whose new collection is very vintage inspired, have a look at rapplimited.com.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Thread Information