Thread: polirize PAl

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

polirize PAl

hi i need some help i have a cx that i gave progressive polirize grey lens to (natural) progreesive with ar on both sides, his complaint is that he still sees glare on the roads and says if he takes a demo polirize lens and puts it infront of his lens he feels more comfortable. i checked the axis and the polirize axis everything is fine could it be the ar on the front surface pls help

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Are the edges polished?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Polarized W/ A/R

I usually don't put A/R on polarized lenses, I myself did not see much improvement in glare with the A/R on the lens then without it. I did notice a back reflection on the lenses, in other words I could see a reflection in the lenses of my eye's that I don't get otherwise on the back side of the lens when I Put A/R on a pair. I don't offer A/R on polarized at all to my Pt's since No one I spoke to notices any benefit from it.:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no, not the a/r - what is his posture? does he carry his head straight, or does he **** it slightly? That wouldn't change his relationship to the lenses, but would change the relationship of the lenses to the road. Can he correct the problem by carrying his head differently? If so, consider rotating lenses SLIGHTLY to acheive the same result. By the way, axis of the cyl and inset of the channel are both affected, so use the small brush if this jury-rig will work at all (the stars above are for a word that means hold at an angle-not, repeat not an anatomical term)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    I usually don't put A/R on polarized lenses, I myself did not see much improvement in glare with the A/R on the lens then without it. I did notice a back reflection on the lenses, in other words I could see a reflection in the lenses of my eye's that I don't get otherwise on the back side of the lens when I Put A/R on a pair. I don't offer A/R on polarized at all to my Pt's since No one I spoke to notices any benefit from it.:)
    I have two pairs of suns without AR on the back. The visual quality has dropped due to an increase in reflections.

In a lens, like a polarized one, you may as well go with it. If people want the clearness of polarization then not putting AR on the back ignores that desire for clearness.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well??

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I have two pairs of suns without AR on the back. The visual quality has dropped due to an increase in reflections.

In a lens, like a polarized one, you may as well go with it. If people want the clearness of polarization then not putting AR on the back ignores that desire for clearness.

If Polarization knocks out 80% of blinding glare, how much more is the A/R going to Knock out? I notice no difference just reflection on the back of the lens. I can't see where A/R will make the lens clearer if it does'nt knock out all the glare, and I don't feel that it does, Just my opinion. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If Polarization knocks out 80% of blinding glare, how much more is the A/R going to Knock out? I notice no difference just reflection on the back of the lens. I can't see where A/R will make the lens clearer if it does'nt knock out all the glare, and I don't feel that it does, Just my opinion. :)

For me, backside AR always seemed to help while driving. My route to and from work always kept the sun on the driver's side of the car thus causing me to see an image of my eye. The backside AR aleiviated that

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The advantage of a/r on sunglasses isn't duplication of the work of the tint (reduction of transmission) or of the polarization (elimination of light in one meridian) but reduction of mirroring from surfaces (mainly the back surface). If your a/r lenses are INCREASING reflection, wash them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thats what I'm trying to say,

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    For me, backside AR always seemed to help while driving. My route to and from work always kept the sun on the driver's side of the car thus causing me to see an image of my eye. The backside AR aleiviated that

When I put the back side A/R on a pair of shades I saw the image of my eye, it drove me nut's and You had the opposite effect, Huh You Know, when I think about it, the lenses where the attitude lenses, could the curvature of the lens cause me to have that effect??

:cheers:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are they tintable???

You may need to strip the AR and increase the density of the lens color by tinting them darker. I would suggest you don't reapply the AR until he tries them. Good luck.

Banned
    Occupation
    When I put the back side A/R on a pair of shades I saw the image of my eye,
    Back side A/R should decrease the back side reflections, including your eye. Try it again.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't put AR on the front, this gives the customer more light.
    AR on the back does help with reflections when the light is being the lens.
    Adjust frame so that it is as close as possible to the patient, allowing as little light in as possible around the lenses.
    If needed add sideshields.
    Is frame shinny? Especially if silver or gold.
    Add some bow to chassis.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I'm with Chip on this. NO AR on the front, but it is beneficial on the back of the lens.
    As other members said it may be the way he wears them, but you could also offer a mirror coat (flash mirror) on the front to cut out more light.

Dpending on what he uses them for a mirror would help with glare, it only depends on the density of the mirror tint and the look he wnats to achieve (or not). A flash mirror is typically for fashion, but will help in reducing glare somewhat.

Cheers

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    You may need to strip the AR and increase the density of the lens color by tinting them darker. I would suggest you don't reapply the AR until he tries them. Good luck.

I don't think I'd try using AR remover on a polarized lens. Wouldn't it eat at the film?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Film should be inside of lens, AR should be on outer surface. Now would it strip through the edges of the film? Don't know.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    My experience has been that the lens should be robust to stop the (HF?) Acid from penetrating the side of the lens, unless it is left in too long.

And although the film is inside the lens, the hardcoat could be damaged if the lens was left too long in the stripping liquid, although i am not sure what the makeup of the AR stripper is.

Occupation
    Stop the light entering from the periphery with his hands, does he still get the same glare?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you haven't mentioned the material you put him in. I had a pair of poly polarized which acted to my eyes as if there was no polarization on the lens. I have found through the years that patients as well don't get as much glare reduction from poly polarized, so I quit selling them that.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper AR Stripper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Websta View Post
    My experience has been that the lens should be robust to stop the (HF?) Acid from penetrating the side of the lens, unless it is left in too long.

And although the film is inside the lens, the hardcoat could be damaged if the lens was left too long in the stripping liquid, although i am not sure what the makeup of the AR stripper is.

AR strippers that come in powdered crystals are Hydrogen fluoride that converts immediately to hydrofluoric acid upon contact with moisture.

Hydrofluoric acid is a solution of hydrogen fluoride in water. Together with hydrogen fluoride, hydrofluoric acid is a valued source of fluorine, being the precursor to numerous pharmaceuticals, diverse polymers (e.g. Teflon), and most other synthetic materials that contain fluorine. Hydrofluoric acid is best known to the public for its ability to dissolve glass by reacting with SiO2, the major component of most glasses. This dissolution process can be described as follows:

SiO2(s) + 4HF(aq) → SiF4(g) + 2H2O(l) SiO2(s) + 6HF(aq) → H2[SiF6](aq) + 2H2O(l)

Because of its high reactivity toward glass, hydrofluoric acid is typically stored in polyethylene or Teflon containers. It is also unique in its ability to dissolve many metal and semimetal oxides. It is very corrosive, as explained below.

Danger:
    Hydrofluoric acid is corrosive and a contact poison. It should be handled with extreme care, beyond that accorded to other mineral acids, in part because of its low dissociation constant, which allows HF to penetrate tissue more quickly. Symptoms of exposure to hydrofluoric acid may not be immediately evident. HF interferes with nerve function and burns may not initially be painful. Accidental exposures can go unnoticed, delaying treatment and increasing the extent and seriousness of the injury.[2] HF is known to etch bone, and since it penetrates the skin it essentially breaks the person's bones without destroying the skin.[1] Hydrogen fluoride is released upon combustion of fluorine-containing compounds such as products containing Viton and Teflon parts. Hydrogen fluoride converts immediately to hydrofluoric acid upon contact with moisture.

How to reduce and avoid immediate danger of HF injuries.................

By using a pre-mixed AR Stripper that contains the absolute minimum needed of hydrofluoric acid but still does the job.

I have developed a stripper that contains only 4.5% of the volume and a total of 11.5% acid mix combined with solvents that will remove AR coatings in 5-10 seconds and will not induce above described injuries if accidentally going on skin.

Why invite trouble of accidental injuries if there are products available with a mininal danger factor.

:finger: :finger: :finger:

HF source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrofluoric_acid
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 05-13-2008 at 05:00 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hi i need some help i have a cx that i gave progressive polirize grey lens to (natural) progreesive with ar on both sides, his complaint is that he still sees glare on the roads and says if he takes a demo polirize lens and puts it infront of his lens he feels more comfortable. i checked the axis and the polirize axis everything is fine could it be the ar on the front surface pls help
    Pls check the lens thickness of the polarization, too curve or too thin of the lens will affect the polarization effect, also if edging too big of the lens will also the polarization effect. Pls be careful.

I recently have this problems on the drivewear lens !

hope this help.

:cheers:

Thread Information