Barry E. Santini, ABOC, ABO-AC, ABOM

Barry E. Santini
    Long Island Opticians
    3844 Sunrise Highway
    Seaford, NY 11783
    516 781 9838
    besantini@optonline.net

Major Attribute
    I specialize in the ability to convey and communicate, in a thought-provoking manner, presentations of ophthalmic topics featuring blend of both “hard” technical and “soft” sales skills of particular interest to eye health professionals and their staff

Summary of Qualifications
    • President, Long Island Opticians – 1984 to Present
    o Practicing Optician - Frontline experience in operating and managing an independent, retail dispensary.
    • Consulting services, Tele Vue Optics, Inc., Chester New York, 23 years
    o Sales & Market research, Product development, Marketing, and sales management for a worldwide dealer network.
    o Tele Vue Optics specializes in high-end amateur astronomy products, including telescopes, eyepieces, mounts, accessories and binoculars
    • Lecturer – Professional Opticians of Florida Rimless Symposium presenter, various amateur astronomy organizations, featured speaker, Stellafane Telescope Makers Conference, continuing education provider for local chapters of various NY State optical associations.
    • Author - Continuing education credits, live ce events and online seminars, course development and presentations.
    • New York State Education Department Approved Continuing Education Presenter

Professional Credentials
    ABOC; ABO-AC; ABOM; NYS Licensed Ophthalmic Dispenser and Contact Lens Fitter; ABO Level III Technical Speaker; NY State Approved CE Provider

Courses
    Jobson/Professional Opticians of Florida All-Day Rimless Symposium; "From Correction to Prevention - The paradigm shift in eye health for the new century" (sponsored by Vision Ease & Jobson); "10 Things to Know about 20/20!"
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 07-15-2015 at 11:30 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Dynamic Optotypes™

Your article "Can We Be Objective About Refraction?" in20/20 Magazine (07-2008) brought tears of joy to me when I read it.

During numerous periods over the last 16 years I have been traumatized by my progressive lenses. The ONE DIOPTOR over-refraction eight years ago took me FOUR years to discover, and disabled me from working as an Executive Recruiter during that time.

That inability on my part, and an obsessiveness for trying to understand why it happened, has resulted in my discovery of the inherent flaws in the Snellen test (and other static optotype acuity tests) and my discovery of Dynamic OptotypesTM as a more accurate and more efficient method for testing acuity. (You also not only don't need to read English, ala the Snellen test, to be accurately refracted with Dynamic OptotypesTM, you don't even need to be able to read.)

Two weeks ago I filed a non-provisional Utility Patent for my "Animated Vision Acuity Test" and would like to show you my discovery. The Optometry academic professors who have seen it have described it as "revolutionary" both figuratively and literally. I am currently seeking either grant funding or support from a licensee to pay for the clinical validation of my tests. Any insight you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

I think, based upon the insights of your article, my discovery is something that you will find very beneficial to Optometry and patients world-wide.

Thank you and regards,

Allan Hytowitz
    allan@animated-vision.com
    678-893-0580

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

progressive glasses and peripheral vision

Margrate
    Thanks for your comments.
    I went through agony for four of the 17 years with progressive lenses because NO ONE explained why I could not see and I did not understand it.
    The only consolation at the moment is that I now wear trifocals and am stunned at not only how much better I can see, but how much better I can think.
    We also have developed a test for visual acuity that is likely twice as accurate as the Snellen and other similar tests and may explain why the level of myopia in the US has gone from 25% to 40% in the last 50 years because the combination of the Snellen test and how optometrists are using it is making people blinder!
    If you are wearing progressives, GET RID OF THEM and get the less expensive trifocals that will let you see much better.
    -Allan

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Allan,

You know it's not as simple as that for everyone!

However, your test is a paradigmic advancement in acuity and vision tesing, IMHO.

Barry

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

discretion

Barry,

Thank you. I was expecting that you would have justifiably flamed me and kicked me off of making comments because of my statements.

I know that the response to progressive lenses IS subjective.

I also know that for personal reasons at the moment I am feeing very frustrated and depressed not only because of the lack of progress in commercializing the vision test, but because of other issues in my life. I should not have my emotions effect what I am posting on this, or on any other, board.

Part of the depression, however, is that I am convinced that 90% of the source of my frustration is directly resultant from the difficulties I had in wearing my progressive lenses. NOT ONCE in the first 15 years of wearing them did anyone comment on vision difficulties associated with them. Instead I was led to believe that the problems were from misalignment or a slight adjustment being needed in the prescription. When that failed, I literally thought that there was something mentally wrong with me because of the dementia I was sensing from the glasses. Only when I had the astigmatic areas explained to me did anyone in the vision industry say that "Everyone knows that there are problems associated with progressive lenses."

I have yet to see any documentation other than what I have produced that corresponds to what "everyone knows" and am furious that I was NOT given any previous explanations or that a bifocal/trifocal option was never suggested.

I will try to be more subtle and discrete.

Thank you and regards,
    Allan

PS. By the way, adding to my frustration is the realization that the Dyop gap width/thickness likely matches the diameter of the photo-receptors and that I already may have validated the explanation for why the test works because of the optimum thickness of the sectors.

It is almost like being able to answer "how may angels can fit on the head of a pin."

If the optimum a Dyop has a width of 7.5 arc minutes and the thickness of the sector/gap is 0.4 arc minutes, then the area of the Dyop is 176 arc minutes squared and the area if the gap is 0.5 arc minutes squared which means that you can possibly have 350 photo-receptors in the area covered by a Dyop. (176 am2 / 0.5 am2)

I need to do more work on the math.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't know how you did it but a response to a thread about your advocating online dispensing of eye wear is no longer available to me, so I thought I would share that I don't agree once again here in your speakers profile since this is an important consideration for those that support their national speakers.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Online dispensing

Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    I don't know how you did it but a response to a thread about your advocating online dispensing of eye wear is no longer available to me, so I thought I would share that I don't agree once again here in your speakers profile since this is an important consideration for those that support their national speakers.
    YrahG,

I am not sure why your comment was sent to me or what the "national speakers" profile is, but I do agree with you that dispensing glasses over the internet is NOT conducive to getting an accurate prescription.

However, my reason is likely far different from yours. We have developed a new non-invasive way of determining visual acuity that is potentially twice as accurate as the Snellen test, is potentially twice as fast to administer, and does not require the patient to read English or even to be able to read.

My hesitancy about internet prescribing is that a significant number of prescription are already inaccurate because of the use of the Snellen test when done by their vision professional, and that dispensing glasses over the internet only adds to that inaccuracy.

Thank you for letting me share.
    :)

OptiBoard Apprentice Dpareynolds's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sorry Barry, non-sequitur;
    What magnetic clip system do you use for any frame? I can only imagine it must be magnets in the clip lenses, and magnets in the Rx lenses. Do you use your edger to drill the partial holes, or is there another system I'm unaware of?
    Thanks, Don
    "I have groovy edger"
    :cheers: Stop the merry go round, I'm ready to get off so someone else can have all the fun.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpareynolds View Post
    sorry Barry, non-sequitur;
    What magnetic clip system do you use for any frame? I can only imagine it must be magnets in the clip lenses, and magnets in the Rx lenses. Do you use your edger to drill the partial holes, or is there another system I'm unaware of?
    Thanks, Don
    "I have groovy edger"
    I use Chemestrie

B

Thread Information