Getting PAL markings off Poly??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting PAL markings off Poly??

I was told not to use acetone to get the PAL markings off Poly...so what DO I use? I have looked for threads here and don't have any of those solutions. Please help, need to get these lenses to the patient...in the past..I used acetone...but these are Polar browns...worried about messing the lenses up. HELP!
    Last edited by Leighlee; 05-06-2008, 07:27 AM. Reason: adding more

Originally posted by Leighlee View Post
    I was told not to use acetone to get the PAL markings off Poly...so what DO I use?
    Your supplier can tell you of ones that are safe to use on Poly. I use All-Off by Optisource.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

All-Off

All-Off is great if regular alcohol does'nt work. :)

Comment

Mr. Dragon...If I had access to the supplier, I would have gone there first. I am here by myself and need help...all I have is acetone and alcohol wipes. What am I going to do???

Comment

alcohol and a little elbow grease. Acetone on poly is never a good idea
          Do not postpone joy

Comment

Thank you!! I did find a bottle of rubbing alcohol. I was worried about rubbing too hard and scratching the poly. When I was in optical before, the lab would put the markings on a thin film of clear plastic that just peeled off the poly. This is the first time I have come across a lab that didnt do that with poly...but I have been out of optical for a few years.

Comment

Leihlee- You can use acetone as long as you avoid touching the edges or drill holes. The lens material is prone to cracking anywhere where the factory applied front surface hard coat has been removed. Such as where it is beveled or drilled.

For the future-- Insist,implore,beg your employer to get All Off as it should be used as the safer and MUCH faster than alcohol marking remover. I'm not sure but it may be available outside of optical suppliers.

Go up to the green bar- click search- in the drop down enter "Markings remover" you should find a bunch of threads.
              Last edited by Uncle Fester; 05-06-2008, 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling...search hint...

Comment

THANK YOU, UNCLE FESTER!!

I appreciate your help so much.
                Leighlee

Comment

worried about messing the lenses up. HELP!

Originally posted by Leighlee View Post
                  Please help, need to get these lenses to the patient...in the past..I used acetone...but these are Polar browns...worried about messing the lenses up. HELP!
                  Look at "MARKAWAY", it works on poly without damaging it. Is the fastest and best non acetone remover on the market.....................and it costs 30% less than above mentioned product.

If you send me an e-mail with your address (and that goes for everybody) I will send you a small (30ml) test sample at no charge by mail. (North America only) oms_optical@yahoo.com

Look it up on my website at : http://optochemicals.com/products/info_markaway.htm

Comment

Chris' stuff is good, but if you want cheap, just get a bottle of non-acetone finger nail polish remover. I've used it for years on poly with no ill effects.

Comment

Even cheaper is to gently heat the lenses in the frame warmer (air not bead) and rub with alcohol. HOYA markings are the only ones that I have found to be resistant to this.

Do not use this tip on A/R coated lenses as they will craze with the heat.
                      A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Comment

Buyer beware. All PAL marking removers are not same. Some will still react on poly edges and in drilled holes. I do know that "markaway" from opto-chemicals does a great job. I'm not sure about the one sold by optisource.

Comment

Use All-Off or Chris Ryser's product if you can get them.

If you are stuck only with what you can get at your local pharmacy/hardware store -- try alcohol 95% (no comments, Fezz :)). Seriously, there are different strengths of alcohol available at the pharmacy; the one most of us get most of the time has a lower percentage of alcohol in the formula. Thank Uncle Fester for this one; he's the one who insisted I go to the local CVS and get the stuff . . .
                          Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Comment

I would caution you on the alcohol thing with polycarb. It can cause your lenses to crack once the frame starts exerting force/stress on the lenses. We had a big issue with this for about 3 weeks two years ago and no problems after we stopped using alcohol on the lenses.

Try Poly Solves It by Hilco, it's just what we use, but it works great.
                            -Steve

Comment

Never had an issue with Markaway... but then I've never had an issue with normal alcohol either heh. Markaway works faster though, we use it over Acetone for all lens markings, not just poly.

Comment

Working...
                              X