Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This Frame company seems hard to deal with

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've had similar issues with some frame companies. Because optometrists in Ontario work on a dispensing fee model, some high end companies don't want their frames displayed with a cost only label. I've always wondered if they are legally allowed to set different standards on a whim. I know if I want a Lux distributed frame such as D&G or Chanel, or Armani or LaFont etc.each company demands a minimum number of frames per designer. So if I carry one Lux line and not another I can't order just one in for someone.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    MMA:
    For the comments here to have any value , would you mind telling everyone what the average price per frame would be with a 100 piece purchase ? And what is the average price of frames sold in your store ?
    This is a public forum, the rules don't allow wholesale prices to be disclossed here.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Buying is all about selling .

You don't purchase commodities to sit on a shelf . You purchase them to sell .

If you bought the right product at the right price at the right time, then your profit was built in at the time you negotiated the purchase .

If you bought right , it will be just as easy to move 1 unit as move 100.

If you buy right there is no risk .

Buying is all about selling .

Still , there is not enough info given in this thread for anyone to make any judgement or pass comment on .
    Buying a lottery ticket is also about making a profit.

If you buy the right ticket, with the right numbers, at the right time, you are a millionaire.

If you buy the right lottery ticket, there is no risk.

Buying lottery tickets is all about winning.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Buying is all about selling . You don't purchase commodities to sit on a shelf . You purchase them to sell .
    Wrong . . . You purchase commodities to process into finished goods - by definition commodities = raw materials.

Ok . . . back to the discussion.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Wrong . . . You purchase commodities to process into finished goods - by definition commodities = raw materials.

Ok . . . back to the discussion.

Quite right !!

We purchase commodities (raw materials) and process them into $$

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    This is a public forum, the rules don't allow wholesale prices to be disclossed here.
    Thank you for the reminder Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    So if I carry one Lux line and not another I can't order just one in for someone.
    Interesting. I've never had the folks at the lux call center question me If I order something we don't actually carry. The rep might say we can't, but the folks at the call center don't know what you carry and what you don't. For instance, we don't carry the RayBan line... I can still get them if I want.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was that recently?
    I tried to order a D&G frame for a friend but because we don't carry D&G (we have a Lux account) I was told by the call centre "to bad so sad"
    I did however end up getting the frame from the rep himself, from his bag. Good Rep.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    MMA question for ya.
    Do you have to maintain this 100 pc as a minimum?
    I know that with one line we were looking at there was a 15 pc buyin but the rep said once that's fufilled, we could bring in as much or as little as we wanted. Is that the case here? Is it a buyin or something they want you to maintain?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hang in there with me...PLEASE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by godin33 View Post
    MMA question for ya.
    I know that with one line we were looking at there was a 15 pc buyin but the rep said once that's fufilled, we could bring in as much or as little as we wanted. Is that the case here? Is it a buyin or something they want you to maintain?
    Devil's advocate:

Why would you do business with a company that dictates the "rules"?

I look at it as..its my business, my money, my future, my families lifeblood...

WHO GIVES A RATS **** what the company dictates?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Whats in it for you?

What else is the frame co. doing for you to warrent such an investment? You commit to then do they commit to you? Do you have an area excluscive? Do they advertise you on line or in print as a local distributer? Will they step up and use their resources to help you with promotions such as spiffs directly to your staff, or help you set up a trunk show and help with your direct mailing and supply direct mailing/recall cards.

If you buy that quantity will the rep. come in every 3-4 months and let you trade out to reach a more accecptable # to you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People!
    If there is a min purchase of 100 frames, the company thinks they have gold!
    I bet you there will be almost no exchanges or may be 1 frame return for 3 new frames purchased.

On the other side you can almost be sure that there would be not much competition around you (not many people will do 100 frames)!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs down

one thing i would really watch for is the return policy. most of the high end vendors as they like to call themselves only offer a 2 for 1 exchange policy. this is where you can really get yourself in trouble if your not carefull.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just furthering the discussion. Why would anyone use any Lux line? Theoretically, Lux sells you the frame and you resell it at whatever markup. If Lux really wanted to, they could retail the frame at Lenscrafters for exactly the same cost they wholesale it at, making it impossible to compete for the same frame. I no longer deal with Lux since they already have too many tentacles in our business.

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just furthering the discussion. Why would anyone use any Lux line? Theoretically, Lux sells you the frame and you resell it at whatever markup. If Lux really wanted to, they could retail the frame at Lenscrafters for exactly the same cost they wholesale it at, making it impossible to compete for the same frame. I no longer deal with Lux since they already have too many tentacles in our business.
    very smart.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And this is exactly why a lot of people are dropping Lux. I'll give you a good example. Had a man come in Wednesday, he had gone to Pearl, and got a quote on a Rayban opthalmic with flip-up magnetic clip. Now, we don't carry the Rayban opthalmic collection, as I said before, but I can get them. I pulled out my catalog, and found the exact frame he wanted. Gave Lux a call up... WHOOP! Sorry. That frame isn't available in Canada yet! You know... except for Pearl, apparently.

We carry lux only because of the demograph we have here. Every day we have people walking in asking for Versace, asking for D&G, etc. So, unfortunately, we have to carry them.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ohioeyeguy View Post
    one thing i would really watch for is the return policy. most of the high end vendors as they like to call themselves only offer a 2 for 1 exchange policy. this is where you can really get yourself in trouble if your not carefull.
    Agreed , but why worry about it ? Why would you want to return a frame ? It takes too much time and freight . Just Buy right. Learn to buy 100's at a time .

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can't understand Lux not selling one to you. We get "only available in Europe" (which for some reason Lux can't indicate in thier catalogue) all the time, takes from two weeks to six weeks but we get them (no return unfortunately). Can't see why they don't treat you Cannucs the same way.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frame companies

years ago I had the Safilo rep come in with his regional manager. By this time our safilo rep and I went way back, a very good working relationship. He is known to be a very reputable person. But on this occassion, he spouted the official corporate line to me, either to impress the regional manager, or to get more business from me. he said "We at Safilo expect to have at least 25% of your board space. First I asked him if he was joking. When he indicated that he wasn't I promptly kicked them out of the office, telling them in no uncertain terms that we are indeed an independant office, and that I could see a different frame rep every working day of the same year, and not see the same one. I also indicated that we feel terrible when we feel threatened in this manner.
    Things were patched up within 3 months, and we have had no problems ever since, and obviously, he hasn't ever broached the subject of demanding a certain percentage of board space, lol.
    I have even bantied about the idea of charging frame companies for prime time eye level board space, like the supermarkets do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Can't understand Lux not selling one to you. We get "only available in Europe" (which for some reason Lux can't indicate in thier catalogue) all the time, takes from two weeks to six weeks but we get them (no return unfortunately). Can't see why they don't treat you Cannucs the same way.

Chip
    It's happened a couple times. The line I was given was "The catalogs are international", which I can only assume means, they don't want to mark "EU Only" just in case they decide to ever offer it over here as well. Still annoying that I couldn't get it.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Okay, so I got to thinking about this a little deeper.

I can really see why the company would want to do this and the benefit to the store who participates. First, you look at other products: cameras, jeans, and so forth, and you will see examples of "a Nikon Store" or "a Calvin Klein store." I think that does help the company establish its brands and the store establish that it is a brand name store.

My concern is over the incredible size on the order. You really are taking a major risk getting involved. If the company loses the license or the designs go into the toilet, you are left holding the bag. Therefore, I think the company has to join in with taking in more of the risk. Here are a few ideas:

- Lower the 100 requirement to 50. Anyone who has 50 is dedicated. If you want, make it 50 for the brand and another 50 from other lines within the company.

- Limit who can sell it within the region and how far someone else can be set up with a similar situation.

- Make sure chains follow the same rules per store, or better yet, do not put them in chains. It will only water down the brand. Lux is the best example of this.

- Put in expected retail prices and restrict the practice of sales on the frame (cheapens the brand).

- Advertise the brand for, or assist with advertising the brand for the store.

- Major POP, and not just counter cards.

- Regular rotation of styles, and without a hassle. No 2 for 1 junk. These guys are investing significantly in your product, show them the respect.

- Monitor online sales and ensure it does not happen.

- Maybe invest in board space.

I think if those are done, I would be more open to the idea of moving forward with this.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by godin33 View Post
    MMA question for ya.
    the rep said that we had to maintain the fifty in order to keep the line. if we didn't he said that he would eventually close the account.

i can't believe he's being such a hard a#$ about it!

Thread Information