Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This Frame company seems hard to deal with

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

This Frame company seems hard to deal with

I'm interested in a particular line of frames. Its a bit high end and I guess in demand by eyeglass dispensers.

The rep is saying that in order to open an account with them, I need to order 100 pieces from their company, and 50 of them has to be with the line that I'm interested in.

Should I give in and place the order, or just walk away and do business with another company? Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mma View Post
    I'm interested in a particular line of frames. Its a bit high end and I guess in demand by eyeglass dispensers.

The rep is saying that in order to open an account with them, I need to order 100 pieces from their company, and 50 of them has to be with the line that I'm interested in.

Should I give in and place the order, or just walk away and do business with another company? Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion.
    WOW, that's a huge initial order!! I can hardly believe it, actually.
    Now, do you have a large demand for these frames? How's the return policy?
    Anyway, my opinion is, unless these frames cost like a couple bucks a peice, then okay, go for it! But if these are "premium frames" (with a premium price,) then i would say...just walk away. There are just too many frame companies that value any order, without having to stipulate a minimum. I don't like being bossed around by my suppliers!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Absolutey insane!
    this frame company (please tell us who it is) must be out of their mind. We deal with most major name brands and we never have heard of such a huge order minimum. The frame rep might be trying to dump a lot of product on you unnecessarily. Call the frame company and speak to the rep manager or office about the minimum.
    If it is true, chances are they are very sticky with their return policy as well. If the line is really gone help you, then you don't have a choice. Otherwise consider a similar product that has a smaller min order.

Good Luck

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just tell the rep that you have decided to sell their frames, but only for your clients who wish to purchase 100 at a time, and you will let them know when that happens.
    (when porcine flight appendages spontaneously appear)

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It's been my experience that Frame companies.........

It's been my experience that Frame companies are looking for a commitment in dollars rather than units. !00 units would represent well over 20% of the inventory of most shops and I think (as do others in this thread) that is more than companies usually ask. Perhaps the company (rep) doesn't particularly want to do business with you. With an order that size you should have been offered dating over an extended time period. I think when Lux orignianlly came out with Eye Med they had a similar requirement, but did give you a year to pay and had a liberal exchange policy. They since have scrapped that idea and seem to be doing just fine. We need a little more info before making a call on this one.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't walk away from that deal...RUN!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our thinking, is they need US to sell their product, so when it comes right down to it, WE'RE in control. We bring in the amount we want, not the other way around. We have so many choices out there, and really is it that popular of a brand that you HAVE to bring it in? (especially 100 pc's?? I don't think so!) Every account we have, have agreed to no minimums, no buy in's.
    I agree.........RUN!!!

Funny thing is, you know that as soon as you say you're not interested, that 100 buy-in will drop to 10.
    "Oh I've pulled some strings and I'll probably get fired for this but my boss has allowed a 10 piece buy-in..."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

There really isn't a line you can't do without.

Never forget: You are the customer! It's not like you needed the world's premier neurosurgeon. There are lots of good companies out there, many of which are happy for you to buy just one. Some companies across the Pacific will custom make frames for you in batches like that.
    Turn your back and tell them you thought they wanted your business not your morgage. The old BS about you need X number of frames of a line to be effective is pure BS. I have seen lines that had one cash cow and dozens of "same brand products." Besides the way reps go away and leave you stuck with unserviced lines today why committ. We haven't seen a Ray-Ban opthalmic, a Gant, or a Brooks Brothers rep. in over a year, and we sure aren't going to be inclined to re-plinish and re-stock after we get stuck with discontinued turkeys, should a rep appear.
    If you pay your bills and the manufacturer/wholesaler makes you suck up to buy, something is wrong with this picture.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    100 units is brutal. No line is worth that kind of commitment. It's one thing if you're interested in MULTIPLE lines from that company and that 100 can be 5 or 6 lines, but 50 of one? That's 5 bars of one line! Nuts to that! I can understand minimum orders of 10, MAYBE 20 for super exclusive stuff, but 50-100 is just foolish. Please tell us who you're talking about so we cal all avoid them. :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey thanks to all for your advice. It seems quite clear now. I'd rather not post publicly which company and what line, but feel free to PM if you really want to know.

Thanks again!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It must be Lux in their efforts to raise their numbers since they are down 3%?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lets look at things a bit differently. Some of us on Optiboard buy frames at 100-300 frames (and even more!) at a shot. I do it!

The poster states that this line is "a bit high end". Well, buying like that is tougher isn't it. The poster also says "and I guess in demand.".

Don't buy into something that you are not totally behind. Guessing and wondering are best left for the Carnies at the local fair. It seems like this company thinks they are the only game in town. I doubt they are. I bet if you look around, there are better companies offering very similiar frames for much less.

All of this is void if you buy into the "Name Game". Then.....good luck!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Wow assumeing you have 1000 frames showing in your office, that would represent 10% of your board, if it's truly high end, then you are showing probably less than 1000, I have seen some high end shops showing anywhere from 100 - 500 frames, that would represent anywhere from 100% - 20% of your board space. High end requires a lot more of an investment that your bread and butter shops so it's key to sharp shoot your product and keep around only what you think is a hot seller, at 50 of one line that's not sharp shooting, that's a sawed off shot gun approach.

100 piece buy in, that kind of commitment requires wedding rings and a bachelor party.:D

Oh and Fezz has provided some really great insight as to how to buy and get great deals.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Don't buy into something that you are not totally behind. Guessing and wondering are best left for the Carnies at the local fair.

...All of this is void if you buy into the "Name Game". Then.....good luck!
    Well said, Brother Fezz!

:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    100 minimum is too much risk / too little benefit. Don't do it.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Most of these comments are totally meaningless . What matters is the price and the style . Is any of that info here ? I bought 350 frames recently . I already have my money back , but what does that tell you ??

Jumping to conclusions with no data is ridiculous.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It tells us that you're jumping to conclusions as well. You might have lucked out with your 350 frames, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen often. Did you buy those frames without at least carrying the line first? If you DID carry the line, then decided to bring in a ton of them, that's a COMPLETELY different scenario. You can't judge how a line is going to do without HAVING it. You can guess, but that's it. And to me, and as well as most of the other posters here, forcing you to take 100 frames on a guess it too rich for our blood.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    It tells us that you're jumping to conclusions as well. You might have lucked out with your 350 frames, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen often. Did you buy those frames without at least carrying the line first? If you DID carry the line, then decided to bring in a ton of them, that's a COMPLETELY different scenario. You can't judge how a line is going to do without HAVING it. You can guess, but that's it. And to me, and as well as most of the other posters here, forcing you to take 100 frames on a guess it too rich for our blood.
    That's why you buy any frame , to see how it will do . Whether you buy 1 or 100 .

Buying is all about selling .

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    That makes absolutely 0% sense (to me). :hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    I am going to play the devil's advocate here. The frame company has the right to protect its image and is doing so with this order. Personally, I think it is too high and a little ridiculous, but this is the decision the company has made.

Basically, it comes down to this - do you want to buy that large of an order and do you believe it will move? If the answer is yes, then maybe you should take the risk. If it is no, then the risk is way too high.

The funny thing I find about this, is stuff like that only encourages online companies to sell their frames over the internet.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    That makes absolutely 0% sense (to me). :hammer:

You don't purchase commodities to sit on a shelf . You purchase them to sell .

If you bought the right product at the right price at the right time, then your profit was built in at the time you negotiated the purchase .

If you bought right , it will be just as easy to move 1 unit as move 100.

If you buy right there is no risk .

Still , there is not enough info given in this thread for anyone to make any judgement or pass comment on .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post

Yes , without ever carrying the line . No regrets .

Occupation
    I stand behind my opinion, I think it's a high buy in. I would personally negotiate a lower buy in or coem up with terms to reduce the risk. At 50 frames of one line if anyone can name a high end frame line that has 50 frames that they think would sell I would be amazed unless you want to stock every color of a certain frame and every size it's a difficult pill to swallow.

Anyway you have two differing opinions. The reality is that these opinions are all pointing back to the same thing evaluate the risk before making a decision and I personally negotiate on EVERYTHING. I have negotiated a free sandwhich at McDonalds, I have negotiated an employee discount at Home Depot, call it tacky but if there's a price on it, that's what the suckers pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    Most of these comments are totally meaningless .
    Your right for example:

Whether you buy 1 or 100 .

Buying is all about selling
    I don't know how that's helpfull in anyway. I would agree that you have to buy what you think is going to sell, and then I also agree:

If you bought the right product at the right price at the right time, then your profit was built in at the time you negotiated the purchase .
    And I agree:

You don't purchase commodities to sit on a shelf . You purchase them to sell
    But all these things I agree with that you said lead me to a different conclusion, 100 frames high end I doubt any high end office is flipping high end eyewear like burgers so they are going to most definately sit on the board or as understock. At 50 from one line purchaseing to sell becomes difficult, it becomes purchasing to meet a requirement (that's not the kind of business relationships we encourage at our office). I could see it beign a good deal if you get a great price, and at 100 p[iece buy in I demand a great price, then the profit is there and the risk is minimized.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by mma View Post

MMA:
    For the comments here to have any value , would you mind telling everyone what the average price per frame would be with a 100 piece purchase ? And what is the average price of frames sold in your store ?

C-10
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Do what I would do tell the rep you would be more than happy to put that inventory into you store as long that they meet your conditions that these frames would cover a space lets say 4' x 8' =36 sq feet @$20.00 a sq foot = $720.00 WHICH HE SHOULD PAY YOU FOR THE SPACE HE TAKES UP. I think that is only fair.

Thread Information