Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Give it to the lab"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

"Give it to the lab"

"Give it to the lab" is perhaps the most embarrassing phrase in the optical industry, and yet it's uttered daily by supposed opticians and/or their supervisors.
    Need to re-string a semi-rimless, but you're halfway through a sandwich and don't need the hassle? As a selling optician, you simply "give it to the lab."
    As for a full rimless--it goes without saying, any adjustment must be performed by lab rats so they get the blame if anything goes wrong.
    Not ABO certified? Have no idea what slab-off means? Give it to the lab.
    I worked for an optical temp agency some time ago and have thus been around quite a bit in the industry, and I've seen this virtually everywhere.
    I'm not a lab guy at all--wish I was better at fabricating--but I'm noticing that simple repairs seem to be becoming more of a "lab" thing rather than what I thought a large part of our jobs as opticians was.
    It works out great for the owners--pay lab folks less since they can't sell, pay dispensing opticians less since they can't do simple repairs.
    It's my job to defend and embrace this way of things, but I gotta admit--it's embarrassing!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul:
    You tryin to take Chris's side or the sales-optician approach. Your last few posts on this subject have me confused. Sometimes it seems that you favor the optician who is proficent only at selling the latest, greatest most expensive, now you go'in on an sounding like an optician ought to have some optical knowledge and be able to actually do things with thier hands. Which side you on buddy?

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    "Give it to the lab" is perhaps the most embarrassing phrase in the optical industry, and yet it's uttered daily by supposed opticians and/or their supervisors.
    Need to re-string a semi-rimless, but you're halfway through a sandwich and don't need the hassle? As a selling optician, you simply "give it to the lab."
    As for a full rimless--it goes without saying, any adjustment must be performed by lab rats so they get the blame if anything goes wrong.
    Not ABO certified? Have no idea what slab-off means? Give it to the lab.
    I worked for an optical temp agency some time ago and have thus been around quite a bit in the industry, and I've seen this virtually everywhere.
    I'm not a lab guy at all--wish I was better at fabricating--but I'm noticing that simple repairs seem to be becoming more of a "lab" thing rather than what I thought a large part of our jobs as opticians was.
    It works out great for the owners--pay lab folks less since they can't sell, pay dispensing opticians less since they can't do simple repairs.
    It's my job to defend and embrace this way of things, but I gotta admit--it's embarrassing!

My lab refuses to do the 'menial' repair jobs such a re-string, tightening the screws on a full rimless, clipping the ends of a temple because its too long , etc.... I do all that . I do all repairs except those that I just absolutely cannot do or do not have the tools for. I even know how to do these repairs .... ;) My most hated repair is these frames with the spring loaded temples. To try to align a screw in one of those ( unless you have the screws made just for the spring load hinges) in a real ******. And WHY do manufactures use such small , short screws for the eye piece anyway. They are really hard to align .
    I'm not certified .. yet, but trusting I will be come this spring. I know what a slab off is, and quite a bit more then I did last year. I don't expect the ' lab rats' to do what I can do IN shop. Its easier and faster to just do those things rather then send them off. My lab is not in my town anyway its in another state.
    I also wish I could fabricate lenses. I think I would enjoy it, but right now, I'm fine just being an optician.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Paul:
    You tryin to take Chris's side or the sales-optician approach. Your last few posts on this subject have me confused. Sometimes it seems that you favor the optician who is proficent only at selling the latest, greatest most expensive, now you go'in on an sounding like an optician ought to have some optical knowledge and be able to actually do things with thier hands. Which side you on buddy?

Chip
    I think Paul is jes do'in a little troll'in to see if he can't get someth'in to rise! He does seem to paint with a broad brush which has come back to bite him in the past. We'll just keep an eye out for ripples.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Repairs are (were) my forte as an optician. Not afraid of the clippers, files, groovers and frame benders.

Spring hinges? B&S has a wonderful tool that won't work as described but I found a way to make it indespensible to me for one-handed inserts.

But there aren't many CEC's on repair, and in AZ it wasn't a requirement to pass the board. So I taught myself - and the old-school opticians who taught me felt that if they were paying a lab for a job they could do at half the cost then that lab should be able to step up to the plate and offer those services as well (for a cost, of course.) .

To summize: If a lab wants the business then they should offer full service for the prices they command. If an optical owner thinks it is too much, then hire the qualified optician and pay them accordingly.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Paul,
    If you really are this cynical; it's time to find a new career.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why do you always want to give it to the lab?? Can't you people learn to do these things yourself and let us sleep??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hi Paul

I can't say that I ever worked anywhere that just gave repairs to the lab, weather it be an in house lab or an office with just finishing capabilities.
    Even the Spring hindge, try alligning the holes with a straight pin, hold it steading, and use a srew with a point, exp( small tapping screw or large nose pad screw, yes some are Impossible the ones with the ball, those are really tuff to do, we just don't buy those, they come apart to easy. But to re-string?? I think thats one of the things you learn in the beginning as an optician, while the Pt. waits, Oh and No food allowed, even in the back. Even if sandwiches are allowed I think most of us put our patients before the sandwich.

Ginny:)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We buy uncuts. The only thing I ever send to the lab is a big fat check every month!
    :hammer:(ouch!)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Paul,
    If you really are this cynical; it's time to find a new career.
    Why would I do that? My cynicism allows me to approach every situation, every aspect of our industry, with my own interests--and only my own interests--in mind.
    The odd thing about your comment is that this wasn't a cynical post; I actually feel a twinge of remorse about "sales floor" opticians passing off work to the lab folks.
    Your words, however, have reminded me once again that this is an industry full of freaks and overly-sensitive idiots, and I shall thus continue to ignore what's right or fair or noble in my mind and instead enjoy hiring and firing people like you.
    Firing on a whim--it's what's for breakfast, baby!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would I do that? My cynicism allows me to approach every situation, every aspect of our industry, with my own interests--and only my own interests--in mind.
    The odd thing about your comment is that this wasn't a cynical post; I actually feel a twinge of remorse about "sales floor" opticians passing off work to the lab folks.
    Your words, however, have reminded me once again that this is an industry full of freaks and overly-sensitive idiots, and I shall thus continue to ignore what's right or fair or noble in my mind and instead enjoy hiring and firing people like you.

You are a manager? Much turnover on your staff?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Paul,

If your not concerned about right or fair, you could exploit almost any industry and make a boat load of money, why be an optician or business manager? Hireing and firing again if power is your thing why not another more powerfull position? I have no doubt your a smart guy, but your in the same boat as everyone else here except that many of the people here that you joke about own their own businesses and are making a living doing what they love, that's rich. I enjoy the heck out of what I do, before I came into this industry I was in sales, drove a porsche, made over $100K one year and I was 23. I could still take a sales position and make a boat load of money if I choose to do that, I left my last job and took a pay cut to work in a lab because I truly enjoy doing it. I hope that whatever you do you at least enjoy it and your right the labs do get stupid things sent to them on a regular basis from opticians and probably curse the idiots that send them restrings and spirng hinges, but they also charge you for sending that stuff to them and make money doing something that your people can't or won't do, don't feel sorry for them, the check you send at the end of the month is good enough.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No wonder you're posting under an assumed name. Which one of us "freaks and overly-sensitive idiots" provided your trainig and education in Opticianry? We may need to change the curriculmn.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 05-06-2008 at 06:13 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find your reply to marcE to be confrontational and totally uncalled for. Also a black eye to our profession.
    Further, if I were a mod on this board, would give you a warning.
    Many years ago I was a GM for Eyemasters, a company that got bought up by LC. It was then that I ran across other GM's with the attitude I see in your posts. You my friend have a lot to learn about managing people.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Paul E. Carbonate.........................

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    No wonder you're posting under an assumed name. Which one of us "freaks and overly-sensitive idiots" provided your trainig and education in Opticianry? We may need to change the curriculmn.
    I don't think we should accuse Paul E. Carbonate for using an assumed name, when 99% of all Optiboard members have their pseudos. The name is actually a real brainstorm result.............Paul E. Carbonate = Polycarbonate. ................which I think is a genial pseudonym. That is why I have been calling him Poly, ever since he popped up.

All of you get wound up on a post he made and which actually tells a lot of truth in his post. I have come to the conclusion that he knows quite a lot in and about our industry plus what's wrong with it.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    Paul E. Carbonate[/B]]
    If you give big fat checks to the lab every month, start counting the little jobs that you could have done yourself at the fraction of the cost, including some dirty fingers and some time spent doing it. If those little jobs did not require consumables they would have cost nothing but time, and if they would have cost something for consumables it would have been cents and not dollars.

Everything you can do yourself and give to the lab ia a reduction to your business income, if you own it or not. The excuse that there is no time to do them does not seem right because all the ones that do post on the Optiboard must be using time during business hours for that purpose.

So in conclusion "Polycarbonate" does have a valid point that does apply to many in the optical retail industry, however he could be a little more diplomatic to get the point across.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris:

Giveing Paul his Carbon-Credits are we?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hiring and firing people like you.
    So now I see perfectly. You really don't have anything to say. You just like to start arguements. I should have never given you the satisfaction of replying to your post. I won't make that mistake again after I hit the submit button.

I really don't believe that you are a manager in any sense. With the unemployment rate below 4.5%, any manager would know that you can't fire on a whim. Good employees are too hard to find.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    any manager would know that you can't fire on a whim. Good employees are too hard to find.
    He uses the corporate approach, every person in his office is a cog in the wheel, noone has very much experience or knowledge, all are underpaid, and they all sell, sell, sell. Who cares about patient needs when you can go to the club after work and try to go home with every skank in the bar on a nightly basis with all you ill gotten gains (commision). He's not stupid, don't make that mistake, he's immoral.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

In his own words........

In a little scuffle a while back Paul sent a mod a message, in which he said:

" I may be kind of an *******, but I am here to participate and answer honestly--I'm not here to troll.
    Having said that, the only way you can keep me off of here is to stop all new sign-ups. Period.
    So you be nice and I'll be nice.
    You've warned me and I've warned you. "

For that he received a brief vacation.

In response to his "vacation"

Someone else said; " No great loss. If he comes back after a week's ban and continues the same way, make it permanent."

Well obviously he has , ergo, we did!

Bye Paul!
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Love you, Harry! And that's for all of my freakishly overly-sensitive Optical comrads.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I don't think we should accuse Paul E. Carbonate for using an assumed name, when 99% of all Optiboard members have their pseudos. The name is actually a real brainstorm result.............Paul E. Carbonate = Polycarbonate. ................which I think is a genial pseudonym. That is why I have been calling him Poly, ever since he popped up.

All of you get wound up on a post he made and which actually tells a lot of truth in his post. I have come to the conclusion that he knows quite a lot in and about our industry plus what's wrong with it.

If you give big fat checks to the lab every month, start counting the little jobs that you could have done yourself at the fraction of the cost, including some dirty fingers and some time spent doing it. If those little jobs did not require consumables they would have cost nothing but time, and if they would have cost something for consumables it would have been cents and not dollars.

Everything you can do yourself and give to the lab ia a reduction to your business income, if you own it or not. The excuse that there is no time to do them does not seem right because all the ones that do post on the Optiboard must be using time during business hours for that purpose.

So in conclusion "Polycarbonate" does have a valid point that does apply to many in the optical retail industry, however he could be a little more diplomatic to get the point across.
    Valid points do not include insulting other people with insulting language.

If he would like to debate the merits of Opticianry I would be happy to do so when he clears flame thrower. Just from what I can see Mr. Poly has enjoyed throwing controversial posts out and then insulting folks when we question him on his choice of words.

While his posts may contain industry "truths" I don't think that anybody should have to be subjected to trashy commentary...period.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Jana,
    We gave him a second chance to be fair. He blew it by showing us that his word was not good. He's not worth wasting cyber ink on. Regardless of what some may have thought of him, there is no way in creation that he was in a responsible position.Probably just another optician with too much time on his hands with delusions of grandeur! People with responsible positions act responsibly!
    Lord Byron

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper Chapter closed.......................

[quote=hcjilson;241606]
    Dear Jana,
    We gave him a second chance to be fair. He blew it by showing us that his word was not good.
    /quote]

Another Chapter closed.........................................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Chris Ryser;241656]
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Dear Jana,
    We gave him a second chance to be fair. He blew it by showing us that his word was not good.
    /quote]

Another Chapter closed.........................................
    As it should be. If you are not here to discuss the many facets of our business in a polite manner then you don't need to be here. We are all professionals and adults. I say good riddance.
    Last edited by Jana Lewis; 05-07-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe one day Paul E. and our old friend Mr. Mitchell will cross paths and be able to hoist a few and share Optiboard war stories!!!

;):cheers::D:cheers:;)

Thread Information