Zyl build-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zyl build-up

Years ago we were able to build up the bridge on a zyl frame with lozenge shaped pieces of zyl, about the size of a then-normal zyl pad on a keyhole bridge. We used to call it "zyl build-up", although I don't remember whether that was its proper name. I need some of that stuff to build up the bridge on a pair of oversized sunglasses. Does anyone know where I can get it, or have any left? Hilco used to make it, but it's out of their catalog.

Thanks, folks.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Originally posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    Years ago we were able to build up the bridge on a zyl frame with lozenge shaped pieces of zyl, about the size of a then-normal zyl pad on a keyhole bridge. We used to call it "zyl build-up", although I don't remember whether that was its proper name. I need some of that stuff to build up the bridge on a pair of oversized sunglasses. Does anyone know where I can get it, or have any left? Hilco used to make it, but it's out of their catalog.

Thanks, folks.
    You can buy sheets of zyl through B and S, they have clear sheets or a really wierd color (stay away from this one). I believe 1mm thick sheets and it's called "build up technology".
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Weiss View Post

Thanks, folks.
      Have you tried the Hilco press-on build up pads? You drill into the frame and snap the pad on.
      #25/644/0000

Comment

We used to dissolve old zyle frames of various colors in acetone for just this purpose. Get some baby food jars and start a complete set now. You will want to have the goop quite thick and it may take multiple coats but you could probably fabricate an entire frame with the stuff.
        Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

I use pieces cut from an old junk frame. Just cut and fit with a file

Comment

They're called Add-a-Pads and I used to get them from Hilco and then from Franel. I'll look in my stuff this weekend and see if I can find what's left of my kit.

Comment

We used to dissolve old zyle frames
              The key note here was that they were acetate, not injection molded cr#p that most are today. Andrew, I also had those years ago, and we could make them part of the frame with acetone. Try puting acetone near any of the cheap "zlys" sold today.

Comment

I have seen some "zyls" that appearently no adhesive know to man will attach. Haven't found anythign that will disolve them either. But I have manage to melt into bubbles (not heat fuse) some of it with a "plastic welder.

Chip

Comment

Best bet is to fit them with a frame that actually fits!

Comment

Of course it is. However, part of our job is to ensure a perfect fit and at times that may require frame modifications and we had better know how to do them correctly as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CME4SPECS View Post
                      Best bet is to fit them with a frame that actually fits!
                      Do you have a 14MM keyhole bridge in stock?
                      Dick

www.aerovisiontech.com

Comment

Originally posted by rbaker View Post
                        Not too many, but I have lots of metals with adjustable pads!

Comment

And if the customer doesn't want a metal frame???

Comment

Actually I see lots of people that don't want nose pads....

Might be nice if optiboarders started to list any solvents and adhesives that they have found to work and not work on plastic frames.

Chip

Comment

Originally posted by rbaker View Post

Ah, just shrink it and then file the keyhole yourself. Done that a few times. Get some rattail files and keyhole away!
                              DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
                              "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Comment

Working...
                              X