Thread: Ever wonder

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ever wonder

In days gone by when glass was the dominant material many bifocals and trifocals were delveloped with a half dozen methods (today they would be technologies) to prevent glare off the top of the segment line(s).

With all these super inovated high tech lens companines out there trying to better each other. Anyone wonder why no one has figured out how (they would just have to not polish the top edge of the mold) to put a non-reflective (no AR doesn't help here) surfact at the top of a plastic flat-top? Especially usefull on flat top sunglasses (I have frosted a few tops by hand but it's a pain to do).

Chip:hammer:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    (I have frosted a few tops by hand but it's a pain to do).
    You should have used the scotch badger technology, mask the adjacent areas with scotch tape and blast the tops with aluminum oxide through a airbrush, few seconds at most and your done.

I pointed that out to my wife and she noticed a dominoes coupon for pizza with easy tear technology written on the coupon (perforated to the layman):hammer: Heck I used a multitude of technologies just composing this post, my reading and comprehending technology allowed me to decode your post then my writing technology allowed me to encode the post. Then my browser opening technology allowed me to get to the internet in the first place, not to mention my button pushing technology allowed me to turn the computer on this morning, by the looks of it I should be charging someone for all this technology I'm wasting just reading and replying to posts. :)
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    In days gone by when glass was the dominant material many bifocals and trifocals were delveloped with a half dozen methods (today they would be technologies) to prevent glare off the top of the segment line(s).

With all these super inovated high tech lens companines out there trying to better each other. Anyone wonder why no one has figured out how (they would just have to not polish the top edge of the mold) to put a non-reflective (no AR doesn't help here) surfact at the top of a plastic flat-top? Especially usefull on flat top sunglasses (I have frosted a few tops by hand but it's a pain to do).

Chip:hammer:
    Remember the Univis flattop lenses with the 1mm graduation lines across the top of the seg?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Remember the Univis flattop lenses with the 1mm graduation lines across the top of the seg?
    Don't remind me. I don't know how many of those d===d things I seen when I first started.

I don't know the answer to Chip's question, unless it's for economic reasons. It may save the lens companies 1 or 2 cents per pair.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jacqui:

Wouldn't save nothing, wouldn't cost nothing. just remove polished surface from top of mold before molding lenses in it.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's a conspiracy Chip. They're trying to get everyone into PAL's.

:D
    :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

It's all those high-tech molds, they're controlled by the microchip processors who are conspiring against us at speeds we can't even comprehend.:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    It's all those high-tech molds, they're controlled by the microchip processors who are conspiring against us at speeds we can't even comprehend.:D
    Don't you mean it's that high tech mold technology?:D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Even if they can, they will not try. Lens companies are not concerned about lined bifocals anymore.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Even if they can, they will not try. Lens companies are not concerned about lined bifocals anymore.
    You can say that again. They'd just as soon mirror coat the line rather than improve a lined lens. Little profit in molding lined lenses compared to PAL's.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Don't you mean it's that high tech mold technology?:D

I wonder if they use the digital free-form mold FT technique?:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they come up with this "technology", will you pay more for it?
    Will you present it to your patients as a premium lens?
    Will the patient even notice?

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    As I recall the substitution of the polished surface of the ledge with a "frosted" surface caused mold release problems. There was an unacceptable rate of variance due to chipped ledges and "rounded" ill defined segment edges. Perhaps newer presses could solve this problem but no one is complaining about it primarily because the young pud knockers in the business have never seen a "real" multifocal lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When Glass was the dominant material the seg was below the front surface of the lens so glare off the "ledge" of the seg was not a problem.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
    When Glass was the dominant material the seg was below the front surface of the lens so glare off the "ledge" of the seg was not a problem.
    But the interface between the two glass types did create an opportunity for a good glint under the right light.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post

You got that right. Called some friends at some large box stores and asked them about selling st.tops or any other seg. They told me that their RM's don't look very kindly on seeing those other lenses instead of progressives.

Thread Information