Thread: High power sunglasses

Occupation
    Optometrist

High power sunglasses

Ok, more boring sunglass talk.

I think we agree that the sunglass manufacturers have "8 and 9-base fever", and really so do the consumers.

We've discussed limitations on putting higher power lenses in such contraptions, we've discussed Rx-compensation, we've discussed the difficulties and expense involved in wrapped multifocals.

Well, what if we forget about wrap frames for the moment?

Back in the old days (I wasn't there, BTW), I don't think we went around Rx-ing plano suns. I think we sold ophthalmic frames for sunwear. Nerdy, huh?

Ophthalmic frames have some advantages though, such as a larger availability of 6-base frames, better construction in general, better price structure. It kills me to put an expensive polar poly progressive in a less than equal quality plano sunframe, you know?

So, what can be done, here? What about this concept?

There are several sunwear vendors that make ophthalmic lines: Oakley, Nike, Adidas, Bolle, RayBan. Why not display the ophthalmic alongside the plano sun with the concept that the ophthalmic is to be used for Rx dress or sun...Rx'ing the sun frames is OK if "you are in the range"?

I'm thinking you could do sunwear that really looks like sunwear...in fact a lot of ophthalmic frames are related in style. This would allow conventional multifocals, higher power lenses, a higher quality frame to hold expensive lenses, yet provide a "branded" experience and correct styling.

What do you say? Is it time to bring back the ophthalmic frame for Rx sunwear?

(Note: It seems the women's sunwear designs currently offer a nice range of 6-base frames, almost exclusively in zyl. That trend makes it easier for the lady customer than the man, and I'm happy for that. Maybe my idea applies to the guys.)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    keep in mind, just because a sunglass model has a certain base curve does not mean that is what you should use.

A lot of them just use one curve to make things simple. A lot of those 8 base models can easily take a 6.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    For-life:

When a wrap frame has an Rx range, usually it's like -4.00 to +2.00. Putting the lens size and weight issue aside, let's talk about the glazing quality and the "frame distortion factor".

If you put a -4.00 patient in an eight base lens, it's going to hurt their vision. Minus 4.00 goes on a +4.50 normally (CR39), so I think that they'd cut the lens on a 6 base, and allow a little frame glazing/distortion compromise, and a little optical compromise.

The upper limit listed on a 8-base is +4.00 DS, so really we never have to worry about hyperopes (aside from the weight/thickness). There aren't that many high hyperopes walking around, anyway. It's mostly the high myopes that we have to deal with.

Above -6.00, you have to go down to a +2.50, going "two base curve increments" off the 8-base frame design. Two units off of vision-optimization or frame optimization would have to be the upper limit.

So, really, optically and "frame glazing/distortion-wise" we could expand the range of Rx's available to 8-base frames from the conventional +2.00 to -4.00, all the way to +6.00 to -6.00.

Obviously, at some point lens weight and thickness takes over as a limiting factor. Maybe that's where we get the conventional range?

(How about some optical smart-person check these assumptions:o)

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Of course, but what I am saying is we have a little more room with a 6 base than a 8

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Apparently there ain't too many Opticians left.

An Optician has the ability to glaze just about any power/base into any frame. It may look like crap but it will satisfy the customers visual needs.

When metal or plastic frames are made they are all manufactured to a single eyewire curve for the sake of economy. It is the responsibility of the Optician to alter that curve to match the curve of the finished lens prior to insertion.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    An Optician has the ability to glaze just about any power/base into any frame. It may look like crap but it will satisfy the customers visual needs.

When metal or plastic frames are made they are all manufactured to a single eyewire curve for the sake of economy. It is the responsibility of the Optician to alter that curve to match the curve of the finished lens prior to insertion.
    There are certain frames that are designed to take lenses of varied focal range, however you should be careful when selecting the frame.

Many people prefer vintage frames too as they are becoming more and more trendy.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What it really boils down to optically is:

1. What is the PD (Controls effective wrap)
    2. What is the fitted vertex (Controls primary gaze area limits)
    3. What is the aberration weighting of the FF optimization program (VERY HARD TO UNCOVER)
    4. Can the effective lens area be reduced through lenticularization (And thereby influence effective wrap angle)
    5. How much peripheral blur will a wearer tolerate (How much are they tolerating now)
    6. What is the motivation of the wearer (Goes to adaptation tolerance)
    7. How well corrected is the Rx for the intended use(s) (Can't even begin to discuss how much this impacts wearer acceptance).

There's a few morsels for thought.

B

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    "Wrap" is a cosmetic issue and will always induce aberration. Optimum visual acuity requires that the lenses be coplanar. FF is an attempt to minimize these aberrations in ill fitted frames.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Other options... for women there are a lot of frames that have thicker temples that block more light... not really a wrap frame but the optics will be good for high powers. Also, for men there is the Ray Ban Daddy O. Luxottica, I know, but really great frame and you can go super high with the RX. I've done -10.00 and up in it.

O.D. Almost Retired
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Back to the original post, I fit high wrap Wiley-x but try to limit those to +3 to -4 or so in the horizontal, or between 5 and 8 base curves. But I much prefer to just fit larger ophthalmics as sunglasses, and need to fit some of the better ones with sun demo lenses because it's kind of hard for people to "picture" those with clear demo lenses as a sun glass. I'm also moving decidedly from poly to trivex in suns for better optics, and suggest backside AR for the flatter frames that can easily collect and concentrate backside reflections (avoid blue reflectors due to the UV they also collect and concentrate). Hi wrap frames don't really need AR most of the time. I also try to minimize or eliminate Equithin on PAL sunglasses, as most of the viewing is through the top third of the lens.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just ordered a bunch of those Leader wrap frames with the 6 base adapters from Hilco. They easily can take a 4 base lens if needed.

Thread Information