Thread: Progressive 1.66

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Progressive 1.66

Looking for recommendation on 1.66 progressive lenses. Also interested in patient satisfaction, performance results, short and convention corridor progressives. Thanks for your help.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go to college and learn the profession. Otherwise be more specific cause there about a thousand lenses available. I personally recommend the imnew1.67 progressive with the 16.0 inch corridor length

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do a search on this site for:

Sheedy

Then study away!

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Many great PALs available in the 1.66

Was there something specific you are looking for? What lenses do you currently use?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

1.66 pal

are we talking short corridor here ?

i usually have good success with ellispe - just because i get them pretty quick - and pt seem to love the design

if a short corr. is not needed - i have been using the accolade with allot of success and pts like it - and also like the price -

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I thank you for your insights, I am looking for 1.66 progressives in order to help patients with Spectera insurance. I do prefer 1.67 but the price difference is more than some patients can afford. I did graduate college with hours towards my masters and have been in the profession for over 30 years, I was under the impresssion that this form was a discussion and exchange of ideas and better practices not an open invitation to insult a person looking to help thier patients.

Again thanks for the information

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticat View Post
    I thank you for your insights, I am looking for 1.66 progressives in order to help patients with Spectera insurance. I do prefer 1.67 but the price difference is more than some patients can afford.

Does Spectera charge more for 1.67 over 1.66? Aren't they the same?

Occupation
    1.66 and 1.67 are the same

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Think cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    1.66 and 1.67 are the same
    Opticat-Forlife is right. The .01 difference is because of the medium used in the vacuum of the photospectrometer(?) used to determine a materials index of refraction. I think it's helium vs mercury(?). European test vs. USA. Anyone who remembers better than me is welcome to correct this!

I would use the Younger image as a go to inexpensive lens for this insurance. Of course if the person has been in another design a long and careful caveat of potential problems of changing designs would be suggested.

Also consider using 1.6 instead of 1.67. See how little difference in thickness there is by using this opticampus calculator http://www.opticampus.com/tools/thickness.php
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-12-2008 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Add calculator...

Occupation
    1.66 also has a lower abbe value (usually around 31/32) and it's more brittle than 1.67 or 1.60 (so it's not so good as a drilled lens).

I agree that 1.60, might prove to be the better choice in many cases.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Curious???

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mahnke View Post
    1.66 also has a lower abbe value (usually around 31/32) and it's more brittle than 1.67 or 1.60 (so it's not so good as a drilled lens).

I agree that 1.60, might prove to be the better choice in many cases.
    Bill-I was under the impression 1.66 and 1.67 are the same. Where's the difference besides ABBE (which I thought are the same)?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 04-12-2008 at 10:00 AM. Reason: add abbe comment...

Occupation
    There are a few different monomers. Seiko uses the M-10, Essilor uses the M-8 (I think). Either way, there are slight, and by slight I mean very slight, changes between them.

Not enough to limit your choice.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    http://www.opticampus.com/tools/materials.php

Note that in this non-exhaustive compilation of materials, there are two in the 1.66 - 1.67 range, and 3 in the 1.60 range. Note that the index shown on Opticampus uses the US "D-line" method of measurement. Results are usually slightly higher when using the non-US "E-line" method, thus allowing material manufacturers to claim a 1.67 index on a lens that in the US has an index of 1.66.
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by opticat View Post
    I thank you for your insights, I am looking for 1.66 progressives in order to help patients with Spectera insurance. I do prefer 1.67 but the price difference is more than some patients can afford. I did graduate college with hours towards my masters and have been in the profession for over 30 years, I was under the impresssion that this form was a discussion and exchange of ideas and better practices not an open invitation to insult a person looking to help thier patients.

Again thanks for the information
    That was a pretty general question that did sound like a consumer. You might have phrased it a bit more specifically.

My recommendation is that if their Rx is strong enough to need the 1.67, then their optics will be so poor you would be better off with a 1.70.
    Of course, Spectera will severely limit your choices. I ask high-myopes ( I'm a -14.) if they want thin lenses they can't see well out of or oh-so-slightly thinner lenses (but higher cost) they will see better out of.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information