Thread: Safety Frames w/Dress Thickness Lenses??

OptiBoard Novice

Question

I haven't seen the latest Z87, but isn't there a specific prohibition to putting dress lenses in a marked safety frame? Is the same not true for putting tinted lenses in a safety frame without the company or the Dr.'s authorization?

Rising Star

Originally posted by John:
    I haven't seen the latest Z87, but isn't there a specific prohibition to putting dress lenses in a marked safety frame? Is the same not true for putting tinted lenses in a safety frame without the company or the Dr.'s authorization?
    YES:
    You are not supposed to put a lens in a safety frome unless it meets ANZI requirements and bears the laboratory imprint, even if somebody inherited the frame from somebody else and wants to use it for non-indusrial purposes. The tints are a fuzzy area. The rules change from time to time. At one time, you weren't supposed to use Photochromic lenses in safety eyewear, but I think now you can, as long as the customer promises on a stack of Bibles to never wear them indoors, inwhich case a pair of regular Gray 3s would make a lot more sense, so I personally won't sell them in safety, because I KNOW they're going to walk inside with them on at the instant that the OSHA inspector has arrived. They get clear, rose 1, rose 2, Calobar, or G-15 from me.

------------------

Rising Star

Originally posted by John:
    YES:
    You are not supposed to put a lens in a safety frome unless it meets ANZI requirements and bears the laboratory imprint, even if somebody inherited the frame from somebody else and wants to use it for non-indusrial purposes. The tints are a fuzzy area. The rules change from time to time. At one time, you weren't supposed to use Photochromic lenses in safety eyewear, but I think now you can, as long as the customer promises on a stack of Bibles to never wear them indoors, inwhich case a pair of regular Gray 3s would make a lot more sense, so I personally won't sell them in safety, because I KNOW they're going to walk inside with them on at the instant that the OSHA inspector has arrived. They get clear, rose 1, rose 2, Calobar, or G-15 from me, unless they're glass blowers, who need Didymium, or have a written RX from the Doc, not the safety manager, specifying some other unusual tint. Also, I like a note from the Doc, not the safety manager, if any material other than Polycarb, 3.0 is to be used.

------------------

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

During my training at the place I used to work, Bob you know where, we used to do tints and photochromics if the Doctor directly requested it or if the saftey voucher from their company allowed it. There were different engraving marks for each material. One was for Variable tints, one for regular tints and one for clear safety lenses. The idea behind a tinted lens was for welding purposes.

On the flip side how do you guys handle a customer who wants poly lenses in a dress frame because his glasses get knocked around at work. I had a patient all set last week until at the last minute he mentioned safety glasses are required at his work place so he just tells them they are safety glasses. I had to let him walk after giving him the certified Z-87 and OSHA explanation; he wanted his dress frames. I just didn't want the legal responsiblity for this guy getting involved in an accident and losing his sight.

OptiBoard Professional

We all hate to lose a sale, but I'd rather let him walk away now, instead of facing him in court later. Along the same lines, a few years ago I had a mother insist that we make paper thin GLASS lenses for her 10 year old daughter. She wanted us to send them off to europe to get around the US standards for minimum thickness. The total job would have come to somewhere around $500-$600. I said no. I saw her a few months later. She found someone greedy enough to do it for her. I don't regret the loss of the sale. I sleep pretty good at night.

Carol D

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Thumbs up

Carol,
    You certainly did the right thing on the child whose mother wanted European standards for thickness. Have you ever wondered why even with a waver that glass lenses ground to 1.0mm are either sent to Canada or Europe to be done? It is so that all the liability for an injury will be solely placed on the person who dispensed the eyewear.

You can not legally have someone sign away their legal rights to FDA and ANSI standards. I realize that it is being done but that signed paper means nothing. I had read a paper on this a few years ago and asked the question again in a class last month needless to say there were a lot of shocked people in the class. The class was given by Ed August.

Jerry

Thread Information