Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asked for a PD lately?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Asked for a PD lately?

I didn't want to hi-jack the thread of a "friend" asking for their PD to be taken, I've luckily never been asked for one, but with the subject coming up more often here, I ask, How many of you have ever been asked to give one? If so, how many times?

I'm sure it's coming up here more often simply because more consumers are looking to the internet for convienience, price and a multiple of reasons.

This subject has been gone over ad-nauseum here, The consensus seems to be one of three choices...

1. Just give it to them and hope it brings good will, and repete business.

2. Give it too them and charge for it. Let them know service isn't free.

3. Refuse to do it at all, and explain why.

Personally, I don't like #1. It devalues what we do. As far as repete business, do I really want someone so cheap that they will get their glasses online? Plus, wonder if they don't see good out of them. Do you want to get into the middle of it? Not me brother..

I don't like #2 for many of the reasons I don't like #1. Plus, they'll think you owe them something, because they paid you something. I don't want to adjust, or troubleshoot their cheap glasses. And have to worry about glasses.com to be blaming me why the patient can't see.

I've decided, I'm going with #3. I'm just not gonna do it. And I'm gonna let them know why I won't. Even though I haven't had this request, I think it wise to at least have a plan, and what I'll say...

"Mrs. Smith, my job as an optician is to continue your eyecare and advise you of options and solutions to your visual needs. I can not provide a partial part of the fabrication of your prescription. Measurements can be particular to how a certain frame aligns on your face. There are more factors to giving accurate measurements. I hope you'll understand that I can't contribute to what could be your mis-care."

There, I said it.... I hope i've got a roomful of other patients to hear me. I want to get across the fact that opticians make a difference on overall satisfation. That we are critical in providing optimal solutions and optics for their visual needs..

Whatever your views are on this, I would suggest we all get a policy for dealing with it, pick your poison. It's happened to fellow Optiboarders, we're next..

p.s. i know some states require this to be included, if so, you're s.o.l. ......

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    #4 - Shoot them on the spot. We all know the World is better off without them

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's happened to me once, almost 4 years ago actually. Technically it happened to my sponsor, not to myself (I was a student at the time). He flat out said no, for pretty much the exact same reason you said. I'd agree as well. If you give out the PD, they won't be back. They're getting this so they don't have to come see you. Why in the world would they ever give you business? They will however, be back to get them fixed when there's a problem. Wash your hands of it and don't even bother.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was asked last week as I gave the patient a copy of his Rx. He said "Did you put the PD on there?" I said "No I didn't. That's the responsibility of the optician who fills your prescription." But I'm getting them on line, he said. I told him that I was sure there were instructions on the website and that we only take a PD when making glasses here as we are responsible for each one being accurate. He said no more and left. I kind of hope he takes it in the mirror, screws up and then decides never to order on line again. Lesson learned.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I learned long ago, you don't build a practice by spighting or insulting your patients.
    Don't work too well telling doctors what you think of them if it's in the negative either.

Chip (Guess I should have used a pseudonym for mosts of my posts but it just seems too cowardly.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure which way you're leaning based on that post, but to me, there's a difference between telling a patient why we won't give them their PD and insulting them. Not giving a crying baby everything it wants might seem insensitive, but it's not wrong. You're also not going to build a practice by sending people away to get glasses elsewhere.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Do whatever you will while you can still do it. The future decision may be made by the Federal Trade Commission as soon as a few of the internet marketers can build up a war chest to fund a few lobbyists.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Do whatever you will while you can still do it. The future decision may be made by the Federal Trade Commission as soon as a few of the internet marketers can build up a war chest to fund a few lobbyists.
    Exactly.

BTW, here in Kansas, ODs have to include PD as part of the Rx. MDs don't because they are governed by the OD board.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I charge through the nose for it. $35 for PD, $50 to verify Rx, $65 to fit. Have only had one customer so far, don't know what's wrong.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How about those ordering PAL's. Anyone have someone ask them about NL heights for an online order?? I wonder how they explain the self measurement for that one!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post
    How about those ordering PAL's. Anyone have someone ask them about NL heights for an online order?? I wonder how they explain the self measurement for that one!!
    Just tell them 18-24mm!

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyChief View Post

they use a 2/3 B standard and if the person can't see so what.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Just tell them 18-24mm!

...from the temporal edge to the middle!:cheers:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Just tell them 18-24mm!
    ...depending on which shoes they're wearing, because we measure it from the floor up!
    :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to admit, we haven't had anyone ask yet for their pd, but, I would be inclined to make a number 4. That is, when they ask for their PD, offer them a discount, saying we don't want to lose you as a valuable customer, and if it takes providing a discount, not matching, because we will be providing you with the best service and quality. This will empower them, as well as putting the ball in their court. It also gives you an opportunity to discuss the benefits of getting them from the professional trained staff that can take care of all of your optical needs.
    Just thinking outside the box on this one, so as to retain the patient base without causing too much friction. I know, they don;t deserva a discount if they are considering going to the internet, but then again, why throw the baby out with the bathwater?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Problem with that is you should not give discounts to those who hold you hostage. You should give discounts as a reward to people.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes, but it is taking a proactive stance at retaining your customer base, instead of watching them slowly fade because of many issues like lase, insurances, economy etc: This is something that will not only help to retain them, but educate them on the error of their ways. Admittedly it is not a perfect solution, but none of the other suggestions are either.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    yes, but it is taking a proactive stance at retaining your customer base, instead of watching them slowly fade because of many issues like lase, insurances, economy etc: This is something that will not only help to retain them, but educate them on the error of their ways. Admittedly it is not a perfect solution, but none of the other suggestions are either.
    As my boss told me the other day. We have enough of a loyal patient base that we don't have to bend over just yet. And like I did with my children, there is no reward for bad behavior:finger:and allowing them to make a mistake was the best way to get them to see the light.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    Lasik, insurance, and the economy are three issues that can easily be turned into positives, and make money for you.

Online eyewear? Even then, do you want the patient that will buy their glasses online?
    :hammer:

No, I'm not going to make it any easier for them by handing out PDs all day, but online shoppers are not even loyal to the same online sites, let alone us brick and mortar types. I'm not aboutg to beg them for business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    As my boss told me the other day. We have enough of a loyal patient base that we don't have to bend over just yet. And like I did with my children, there is no reward for bad behavior:finger:and allowing them to make a mistake was the best way to get them to see the light.

My choice is partially based on this too. I feel there will be a small percentage of the public that buys their glasses over the internet and are happy with them. This could be the luck factor, low powers and the motivation they will have to "make" them work. Most people don't like to admit to a finacial mistake, even to themselves.

But I believe the greater percentage will not find their cheap glasses as satisfactory as their previous experiences buying them traditionally. With choices and advice right in front of them. To have an optician help with the after sale service so important.

By refusing to help them make a mistake, and explaining kindly why, I believe sooner or later, they will come back to the optician "fold". Maybe not my shop, maybe so. But at least i think they will come back.

From the responses so far, appearantly it's not rampant yet, let nip it now, rather than deal with it later..

Occupation
    I have only been asked once and refused to give it to them, I didn't really even have to explain it to them other than that's part of our service and then refused to discuss the matter further.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Online eyewear? Even then, do you want the patient that will buy their glasses online?
    :hammer:
    Soon it will be Luxottica/Essilor owned online only retail anyway!

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just Curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I charge through the nose for it. $35 for PD, $50 to verify Rx, $65 to fit. Have only had one customer so far, don't know what's wrong.
    Are you charging regardless of where they got their glasses, or only if they purchased them elsewhere?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamelina View Post
    Are you charging regardless of where they got their glasses, or only if they purchased them elsewhere?
    I own a wholesale lab so I charge only those who want to order online. I did, a couple of years ago, put a large sign in the office that says this.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Fee for service...

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I own a wholesale lab so I charge only those who want to order online. I did, a couple of years ago, put a large sign in the office that says this.
    Jacqui- Do I remember correctly this being published in one of the trade magazines? If you could dig it up (or the article!) I'd love to see it again.

Just last week I spent 10 minutes explaining to a not yet patient that the PD was probably not why he was less comfortable in the internet glasses. I decided after that call that I would charge $60 for a PD but back it up with some service to include :

-verify PD and RX accuracy
    -up to 15 minutes of trouble shooting if necessary (puts in their mind to expect trouble)
    -fitting
    -up to 2 follow up adjustments
    -and a BIG disclaimer not responsible for breakage during adjustments

I too believe we are not going to see internet glasses go away so we should adapt like we have with clip ons.

Thread Information