Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I sold some -35's

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Post some photos when they get back from the lab.

I recently had a -17.50 -6.25 x 017 -17.25-6.50 x 167 done on a bi-concave 1.6. He was beside himself when they came in they looked amazing. The other amazing part was social services paid for the whole lot. That's like getting blood from a stone.
    "It's not impossible. I used to bull's-eye womp rats in my T-16 back home."

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have this question:

The first thing I would think of would be a lenticular lens on the back surface.

On the front surface, could one grind additional negative sphero-cylindrical power?

The thought is "biconcave, plus cylinder form, lenticular".

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I have this question:

The first thing I would think of would be a lenticular lens on the back surface.

On the front surface, could one grind additional negative sphero-cylindrical power?

The thought is "biconcave, plus cylinder form, lenticular".

I think you would be better served with a spherical front surface and the rest on the back.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One could actually lenticularlize/myodisc on both sides and peripheral vision is going to be virtually nonexistant after about 15mm from center.

Chip

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougfir8 View Post
    We just had EPIC Labs do a -35.50 with +1.5 cyl OD and -36.50 OS.
    They used a myo-disc in 1.66 index. Very spendy, but it looked great (considering the RX). 1-800-666-4513

We're retailing the job for 504.00 cdn with a high end AR.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The comments here lets me ask what other opticians thinks "looks good/better". What do you and your patients feel looks cosmetically better on a high minus Rx? Does linticulation and/or roll and polish make glasses more atractive?

I don't think so, imho, I think lenticulars nor roll and polish looks as good as a hide-a-bevel in the right frame. Roll and polishes and lenticulars have more reflection on the edges to the person looking at you. The only good thing R&L and linticulating does is reduce edge thickness. ( and weight to a minor degree).

I'll concide that there are certain combinations of power/frame that you would have to reduce edge thickness to mount the lenses properly, but...

With reflections around the edge, someone looking at you see's this, and I feel, it's distracting. With the strait 90 degree edge of a hide-a-bevel, the frontal view looks better. I guess my question is, do you think side view thickness is more important than frontal view reflections?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For this lady she justs needs to see.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    The comments here lets me ask what other opticians thinks "looks good/better". What do you and your patients feel looks cosmetically better on a high minus Rx? Does linticulation and/or roll and polish make glasses more atractive?

I don't think so, imho, I think lenticulars nor roll and polish looks as good as a hide-a-bevel in the right frame. Roll and polishes and lenticulars have more reflection on the edges to the person looking at you. The only good thing R&L and linticulating does is reduce edge thickness. ( and weight to a minor degree).

I'll concide that there are certain combinations of power/frame that you would have to reduce edge thickness to mount the lenses properly, but...

With reflections around the edge, someone looking at you see's this, and I feel, it's distracting. With the strait 90 degree edge of a hide-a-bevel, the frontal view looks better. I guess my question is, do you think side view thickness is more important than frontal view reflections?

That's your opinion maybe Ed feels differently. If the patient is that incapacitated you have to rely upon the care giver for advice using your best recommendations and even then they may reject them and go quite the opposite way. You can explain bi-con, myo-disc ect and show them but in the end it's still the patients or care givers say on what they want.

just my take

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    That's your opinion maybe Ed feels differently. If the patient is that incapacitated you have to rely upon the care giver for advice using your best recommendations and even then they may reject them and go quite the opposite way. You can explain bi-con, myo-disc ect and show them but in the end it's still the patients or care givers say on what they want.

just my take

Thanks. It's an odd rx for sure. Cosmetics are not important beyond the frame choice which is perfect. These lenses are gonna look fugly but better than her last ones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

just my take
    I agree, it's up to the patient and the optician guiding on solutions. My question is, do you, personally, feel it's more important for profile cosmetics or frontal cosmetics?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    One could actually lenticularlize/myodisc on both sides and peripheral vision is going to be virtually nonexistant after about 15mm from center.

Chip
    I cant imagine any lens design of any kind would offer much peripheral vision anyway.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My point was since distortion is intollerable beyond 15mm from center, why not use the rest of the lens in double lenticulation to cut down on edge thickness? If done right edges could be almost the same as -2.00's at the mounting points of frame.

Obviously, no lenticulation ever increased field of vision.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree, it's up to the patient and the optician guiding on solutions. My question is, do you, personally, feel it's more important for profile cosmetics or frontal cosmetics?

Neither it's as I said before it's up to the patient or care giver once they have all the facts. You can't superimpose your position just because you think it's right. I once told a lady that because of frame size and the configuration of her face the frame she chose would not be a flattering one. She said who's paying for this me or you? I said you. She said I want the one I chose but thank you for your honest input.

just my take

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Neither it's as I said before it's up to the patient or care giver once they have all the facts. You can't superimpose your position just because you think it's right. I once told a lady that because of frame size and the configuration of her face the frame she chose would not be a flattering one. She said who's paying for this me or you? I said you. She said I want the one I chose but thank you for your honest input.

just my take

You dodge my question..Do you feel/think personally that on high/moderate minus Rx's, roll and polish/lenticulation is as atractive "overall"? In other words I want optician's view on what's more cosmetically attractive/important...Edge profile, or frontal view to the observer? Personally, I feel frontal view, as someone see's you, is more important than side profile. R&L's and linticulation have a reflective ring that is hard to disguise from a frontal view. Samples are ideal to let the patient make the choice. But i just want to know what opticians here feel is of better benifit, and why..

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you know that all our miracle AR's EEEEEliminated all dem reflections so you won't see de front edge treatment!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My preference would be edge coat to match the frame. I feel roll & polish increases the appearence of concentric rings causing a tunnel effect. I have had pts. tell me that they find the shine from the edge polish increasing glare. I think polish makes the lens look thicker.

To each their own.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You dodge my question..Do you feel/think personally that on high/moderate minus Rx's, roll and polish/lenticulation is as atractive "overall"? In other words I want optician's view on what's more cosmetically attractive/important...Edge profile, or frontal view to the observer? Personally, I feel frontal view, as someone see's you, is more important than side profile. R&L's and linticulation have a reflective ring that is hard to disguise from a frontal view. Samples are ideal to let the patient make the choice. But i just want to know what opticians here feel is of better benifit, and why..

Personally I would go with Chips suggestion of a lenticular if it's done correctly. Or with a myo-disc with special emphasis put on edge beveling and rolling no polish. I agree edge polish adds too much glare almost all the time. I would add A/R only because it will capture some of the lost light due to the internal reflection problem. Hope that answers your question. :bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    My point was since distortion is intollerable beyond 15mm from center, why not use the rest of the lens in double lenticulation to cut down on edge thickness? If done right edges could be almost the same as -2.00's at the mounting points of frame.

Obviously, no lenticulation ever increased field of vision.

Chip
    you know, what you could do would be to use a high-base lenticular lens blank, grind a plus curve and myodisk on the "rear" of the blank, then flip it over and grind another myodisk on the plus side and have very thin poached egg dual-myodisk.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dragon: Dat what I ben triin ta persplain in the last few posts.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Dragon: Dat what I ben triin ta persplain in the last few posts.
    Hmm, I'll have to order a few blanks and fiddle around and try that.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Hmm, I'll have to order a few blanks and fiddle around and try that.

You're a glutton for punishment ain't ya!

:D:cheers:;):cheers::D

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    You're a glutton for punishment ain't ya!

:D:cheers:;):cheers::D
    It's really kinda fun when you have the extra time and blanks to do it :D

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    It's really kinda fun when you have the extra time and blanks to do it :D

:cheers:
    Heh heh. NOT fun if you boo-boo and the blade hits the block.:hammer:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Heh heh. NOT fun if you boo-boo and the blade hits the block.:hammer:
    You're supposed to be smarter than the lens and the machine (of course some of us can only manage to be smarter than one or the other at a time)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    You're supposed to be smarter than the lens and the machine (of course some of us can only manage to be smarter than one or the other at a time)

I think I'm smarter than the lens, but I'm not sure about the generator- it's got a honkin' fast 386 CPU!:cheers:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Thread Information