Thread: My fingers hurt!

Occupation
    Optometrist

Crier My fingers hurt!

Help. I'm trying to put lenses in a new frame. The frame is a Lulu Guinness that has a 3/4 metal eyewire and 1/4 open at the temporal edges. The lens is a rimless groove and there is nylon suspension wire at the "open" temporal edges.

This frame is like an oval "C" shape: lots of metal eyewire and little open area. I can't get the "shim" underneath the very tight nylon wire and I can't separate the eyewire from the lens edge to get a gap, either.

Any tricks other than cutting the wire?

Thanks. I'm typing this with my toes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you described it well, but I am not good with description, need a visual, so I would suggest calling Tura, they used to have an optician on duty that could answer questions like that. Good Luck

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Make a strip.................

If you have some packing tape fold it into a strip about 5mm wide, insert the lenses and then pull the nylon string with the strip into the groove. Then pull out the strip very carefully.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's what we did:

The only thing we could achieve is the dangerous "pop-out" action. If you use one of those tough, white "shims" that are often supplied by frame manufacturers (like used for indestructable bands with shipping boxes) and try to insert it "horizontally", that is, the long "lateral edge" going in, instead of an "end", you can push very hard on the shim without it bending (you just crease the heck out of your pollux), and it will eventually wedge between the lens and the metal eyewire, facilitating pop-out.

Great-looking frame...great lens retention. Not so fun.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    agreed, I hate it when you "crease the heck out of your pollux"

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A: Cut the present nylon chord.
    B: Insert one end only of new nylon chord in both holes.
    C: Insert the other end of the nylon chord in one hole only.
    D: Insert lens.
    E: Pull nylon chord that is in only one hole tight, and mark just outside the hole.
    D: Remove remove lens and insert chord in both holes to the point that the mark is completely covered.
    E: Trim chord.
    F: Re-insert lens in frame only.
    G: Slip another piece of fishing line under nylon chord (yes, nylon chord is fishing line) and guide around lens. Remove fishing line from under chord.

Chip:cheers:

Note, Chris's strapping tape is too thick for most tight applications and harder to work with.
    Also note: If the lens won't fit without the chord, you are shot down before you start.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 04-01-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Further comment

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume the block is off. I take those type lenses /frames down 2-5 tenths on size, but they are still a bi##h. Just did an escada like that, and was tempted to remove the nylon cord, as the lens fit so tight in the frame.:finger:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I feel your pain!

This is even more proof that the MORONS who design these blasted things don't have a clue. They should be made to mount various rx's into any of their wacky designs before the things even hit the streets.

:angry::angry::angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    This is even more proof that the MORONS who design these blasted things don't have a clue. They should be made to mount various rx's into any of their wacky designs before the things even hit the streets.

I have handed frames back to reps, and asked them to remove the demos. Their response "I can't get them out". My response is " either can I". Its not only in on some of these, but also getting them out.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is always K-Y jelly.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've resorted to smashing the demos sometimes!:shiner:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    I've resorted to smashing the demos sometimes!:shiner:
    Ha! I put them on the anvil, and hit them with my optical precision peening instrument.:angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys are weak. I just gnaw through them!

:bbg::cheers::bbg::cheers::bbg:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Ha! I put them on the anvil, and hit them with my optical precision peening instrument.:angry:
    Easiest way to remove the older RayBan glass lenses in plastic frames:

A: Turn up the radio
    B: Wrap the frame in a heavy towel
    C: Pretend you are "servicing" the patient who has worn his new progressives for an entire 15 minutes and just knows the Rx is wrong

Presto, the lenses are out and you have just lowered your blood pressure!

:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Not to mention the witless opticians that put this crap on their shelves. Please, opticians, if you MUST buy this crap, do not sell it. Throw it in a drawer at home.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to admit, I was caught off guard, noot doing my homework, and purchased one of these frames. Now I am a member of the Witless Protection Program

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    I have to admit, I was caught off guard, noot doing my homework, and purchased one of these frames. Now I am a member of the Witless Protection Program
    Please, no offense. It was a poor choice of words on my part. It sounds like you have learned. Have you returned the rest?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the problems in the optical business is one isn't always able to recognise a problem (unique mounting, odd hinge, weak parts) until they become a problem. "Factory Reps" are salesmen thier job is convince you that you should buy thier product, not tell you of any of it's pecularities.
    We all remember the when chord mounts came out. Anyone show you how to string, mount or re-mount one? It should have been the "Factory Representative's" job.
    We remember how thin and light those metal frames that fit were so thin they fit in the groove and eliminated the chord. Anyone tell you the lenses would split the first small jump they got with a solid surface because the metal of the frame was forced into the groove?
    Have you had hinges that you couldn't attach the frame? Some of those springs are a booger. Had hinges that you had no idea what was in the spring box, much less any idea how to mount, assemble and re-assemble? We know very well the people across the sea that make these aren't putting them together without some sort of jig (a better one than we can buy from the Hilco or other company catalogue). Why don't
    "Factory Reps" tell us about these things and make them available to us?
    Anyone notice how many frames come in only one temple length now. How many of you have had anyone show you how to shorten/lengthen one. One size don't fit all and wraping the temple around the ear is not the way to do this.
    Should we rebel and insist that "Factory Reps" actually become "Factory Reps" and not just sales people?

Chip

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Wellllllll.........

As an optician who edged lenses I was always wary of frame construction as it related to rx-ing it - of course, that was my job as an optician who did the purchasing. I always looked at a frame with the questions: Can I sell it? Can I rx it? It never occured to me to think that it was the salespersons job to know anything more than whether or not it was a best seller.

Only when I was in luxury optical did the reps do training on how to edge and mount lenses for me. Some of them, like Beausoleil had instructions included with the frame packaging. Others like Gold and Wood the rep had demonstrated to me when showing the product: Rear insertion, rear removal. (Full rim all wood piece) Then showed me the bevel.

Me personally - as a rep I will point out tips and tricks and even flaws in the design, but I always let the buyer make the decision on what they feel they want to carry.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think my point is these people are called "Factory Representatives" as such this implies that they are agents of the factory. With some training of products of the factory, especially "new inovations". If they are salesmen then call them salespeople.
    In fact I undestand that today most of them are "independent Contractors" so their employers can avoid liabilty, benfits, etc. So why call them factory any.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I think my point is these people are called "Factory Representatives" as such this implies that they are agents of the factory. With some training of products of the factory, especially "new inovations". If they are salesmen then call them salespeople.
    In fact I undestand that today most of them are "independent Contractors" so their employers can avoid liabilty, benfits, etc. So why call them factory any.

Chip
    Well, to be fair, our Logo reps DID show us how to operate the groover and how to mount lenses in their frames. SOB's never even thanked me for designing two of their lens shapes, though.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information