Thread: Employee Hiring Issues.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Employee Hiring Issues.

Don't know what to think of it.If your looking into a new position at a private practice and it fits you like a glove but theirs a catch.Lets say you have an extensive amount of experience licensed and everything and its owned by an OD or MD.But,they have a hiring or office manager and this person has a say if they want to move forward with setting up a meeting with the OD or MD about speaking further with yourself about qualifications,pay and etc.The catch is,is that office manager, which probably has less experience (after talking with them) asks what salary requirements you are looking for which I think would be more than what he or she makes.Final result would be that this manager would not forward any of this information to the owner due to the fact that you would be making more money than them.Would this be a conflict of interest with the OD or MD who owns the practice what candidates he or she is missing out on (not getting any information passed on to them) due to poor judgement and inferiority complex of an office manager?:shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Not worth it

Chances are if he's not paying the person he relies on heavy to manage his practice then he's not going to pay anyone else what there worth either. I actually had an office manager tell me that once, a long time ago, I never got a call from them. I'd like to thank her for not wasting my time.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's why they have office managers, is so they don't have to fool with hiring and firing and management details.
    Fair or not, that's why the office manager is there.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would think that the office manager would be told by the owner what salary cap not to exceed, however they phrase it. If so, when asked the question what salary requirements do you have, and your answer is a higher number, it should be then that the office manager should let you know what the maximum starting salary is. I can see where if there is wiggle room that the office manager might illicit a respnse to indicate that they will talk it over with the powers that be, and get back with you. There probably is a good chance, however, that the office manager has control of the purse strings when it comes to new hires. If they really liked you, they would probably go to bat for you, but if they find you overbearing and full of yourself, thinking you know more than they do, obviously they would not consider going the extra mile to hire. They would probably be more apt to hire someone with less experience, whom they don't feel threatened, because they could pay them less, and be able to control them better.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The real funny thing is that the manager has already stated to me that the last person they had was "not up to par" sluggish sales and etc.I would guess that this same office manager hired that person as well considering they had only been their a short period of time(6 mo+) and the OD or MD is letting them hire again with their first(maybe,could be more) failed hire.Its amazing that the Dr or Drs have no clue whats going on in their own business.Too busy,I don't know but I think my best bet would be to wait for the office manager position to come open.It will probably take the Dr or Drs to loose a significant amount of time and money(mainly money) before they come realize whats going on.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Number one rule of negotiations let the other side reveal their terms before negotiating. I find it is often easier to ask what benefits the positions includes then slowly ask what the salary is. For instance, does the position include insurance? 401K? how about vacation/sick time? what's the base salary? (gotta say base or you cut out any sales incentives)

Anyway if the manager is passing 'cause of salary then she doesn't know she's being jipped and you don't want to work for a doctor like that.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyepix, if you speak like you write you don't have to worry about negotiations proceeding past the interview stage.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Poly,I think you would be the last person in the world to take advice from considering your popularity here on optiboard.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Right agian...

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Number one rule of negotiations let the other side reveal their terms before negotiating. I find it is often easier to ask what benefits the positions includes then slowly ask what the salary is. For instance, does the position include insurance? 401K? how about vacation/sick time? what's the base salary? (gotta say base or you cut out any sales incentives)

Anyway if the manager is passing 'cause of salary then she doesn't know she's being jipped and you don't want to work for a doctor like that.

I agree Harry this is correct, in the past I alway's became caucious when the first thing they asked was how much are you looking for, that told me right there skill and experience was not what they were looking for.

And for Paul, if we kick you, you won't feel it, because, your tuff on the front surface, tuff on the back surface, and even though it's a different day and thread, your still soft and wimpy in the middle.:hammer:

Thread Information