Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Shots?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Flu Shots?

In the course of one weeks time, I had one patient come in who had lost and an eye and almost all vision in the fellow eye, and one patient who has to have transfusions two or three times a week. Both claim this was complications from flu shots.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd like to see proof of that. I get one every year and I haven't been sick in five years so I'll take my chances. The flu can be deadly. There are rare complications with any medical procedure. They also say childhood immunizations cause autism. Again a rare complication if there is a connection at all. I immunized my children but many parents do not anymore. I guess they think the rest of us should protect them from disease.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Flu..................

I took the flu shot last fall, as I have done for years.
    Two weeks ago I did get the flu and it was an ugly one and lasted about 7 days. The throat still hurts and is the start of some good coughs.
    Back up north everybody hass been hit and here in Florida its not much different. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My daughter-in-law says my grandson was fine, energetic, normal before flu shot; depressed, fatigued, less sharp afterwards. Her extensive research leads her to believe the vaccine isn't the problem, it's the preservatives (mercury-based, I believe).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am 42....Have NEVER had a flu shot :drop:

I have not had the flu since 1987 :D

Its been years since I have even had the common cold.

I dont know why but i guess i am fortunate :cheers:

But one thing i do is wash my hands a lot, people come in to pick up their glasses in the most hideous of conditions, sick, hacking, coughing and slobbering.... I just say thanks for coming in and TRYING to get me infected but it wont work!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

But one thing i do is wash my hands a lot, people come in to pick up their glasses in the most hideous of conditions, sick, hacking, coughing and slobbering.... I just say thanks for coming in and TRYING to get me infected but it wont work!!!
    Chip,

You hold him down I'll cough in his mouth. :cheers:
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

that and carry around Purell

I used to get sick about twice a year. Two weeks ago, I got sick, but for the first time in over 2 years. The main thing I changed is washing my hands anytime I was out in public.

Ohh, and it is not just rinsing your hand or putting soap on. You have to lather for 15 seconds.

Also, a word of advice. Try Cold FX. When I got sick two weeks ago, it cut my sick time in half.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As hard as it might be to believe, I am anti medication.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    As hard as it might be to believe, I am anti medication.
    APRIL FOOLS

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    APRIL FOOLS
    YOU GOT ME! YOU GOT ME!

ok, self medicated here. :cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    In the course of one weeks time, I had one patient come in who had lost and an eye and almost all vision in the fellow eye, and one patient who has to have transfusions two or three times a week. Both claim this was complications from flu shots.

Chip
    sounds to me like they both might of had bacterial meningitis in their life time at some point because that is one of many long term complications you do get from bacterial meningitis(if you live through it) as i do know and have experienced the same thing throughout life.or they could have diabetes just a thought;)
    If you don't stand up, You don't stand a chance.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I've never had the flu shot, even though I know it's recommended. My (slightly crazy) logic is that if I get sick with the flu and I haven't had the shot, then oh well such is life. If I get the flu from the shot, then it's my own d*** fault. If I get sick the the flu after the shot, then I'll be pi**** off that I got sick anyway.

I didn't say I excelled in logic... :hammer:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All the studies has so far failed to find a link between thimersol preservative and autism, however I believe that most vaccines are available as un-preseved unit dose if so desired Also, it is always possible to hold off a few years on some of these vaccines if you hare concerned... such as the chicken pox vaccine... which there is some concern may ultimately lead to greater incidence of herpes zoster at older ages anyways.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oedema:
    I have been told by several MD's that having chicken pox at an early age provides an immunity against most forms of herpes which wears off in one's 60's. Which is why one sees more shingles after age '60 or so.

For myself, I really don't know. But I do know that I'm not having a flu shot.

Chip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For myself, I really don't know. But I do know that I'm not having a flu shot
    Chip, I am with you on that!

The one and only flu shot I received came when my our first child was born 33 years ago.

Within hours I was as sick as I have ever been in my life...and I do not believe I have ever been that sick since...
    It lasted abut 3 to 4 days. I told my wife I will take my chances from then on out.

Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My niece's second child is autistic. Video of the child taken before his immunization shows a happy, normal laughing child, then just after immunization everything changed.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crap! You've figured it out. Flu shots are a left-wing conspiracy to make kids autistic and sap the precious bodily fluids of real patriots.
    I invite the anti-flu-shot crowd to shun all modern medicine, so we can let evolution take its course that much quicker.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    Crap! You've figured it out. Flu shots are a left-wing conspiracy to make kids autistic and sap the precious bodily fluids of real patriots.
    I invite the anti-flu-shot crowd to shun all modern medicine, so we can let evolution take its course that much quicker.
    Flu shots are a scam

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Oedema:
    I have been told by several MD's that having chicken pox at an early age provides an immunity against most forms of herpes which wears off in one's 60's. Which is why one sees more shingles after age '60 or so.

For myself, I really don't know. But I do know that I'm not having a flu shot.

Chip
    Yes, chicken pox or varicella is the primary infection that provides acquired immunity to the virus once you'd had it and generally prevents the recurrent infection (shingles or zoster). However, zoster can be triggered by a number of incidencts (trauma, immunosuppresion and immunsuppresive therapy, tumors, AIDS, and x-rays). So it can come back even if you've had chicken pox at some point in your life.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey Paul-flu shots are like any other medical procedure with positive/negative tradeoffs to trip up the unwary and pollute Our Precious Essence - and there WAS, YES THERE WAS a Mineshaft Gap

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Uhm, people...I've been to vision expo and seen the average optician. It is ridiculous that you walk around with pot-bellies and eat crap food and yet worry about a flu shot. Kinda like how you worry about U.V. and see maybe twelve hours of sunlight per year.
    You're not doctors, and you would do well to listen to doctors.

Occupation

Chip
    I just got back from seeing my Physician. He told me that some people are experiancing these symtoms as a result of having flu shots. It seems to be spotty which may indicate that only some lots of vaccine are doing it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    Uhm, people...I've been to vision expo and seen the average optician. It is ridiculous that you walk around with pot-bellies and eat crap food and yet worry about a flu shot. Kinda like how you worry about U.V. and see maybe twelve hours of sunlight per year.
    You're not doctors, and you would do well to listen to doctors.

Some of us do know what we are talking about !! I'm a Registered Nurse, Certified Midwife and currently working on my Phd in Nursing.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Flu shot

The second treatment that Chip mentions is actually called plasmapharesis and is a therapy done on people that have been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre' Syndrome (GBS). I know because my wife was stricken with this condition following a flu shot in 1999. Most physicians are unaware of the risk of this following vaccines, including flu shots, but its effects can be devastating; paralysis is often one of the effects, as it was with my wife. She was paralyzed from the waist down for 3 months. Many people get paralyzed to the point where they have to be on a respirator. So it is not something to casually disregard, but is a potential side effect of getting a flu shot, and I believe is listed as such in the small print on the form you sign. There have been few studies done on this, and one could certainly suspect that there is a money motivator somewhere in the supply chain. In addition, the Vaccine Averse Effect Reporting System (VAERS) is somewhat flawed due to the number of seniors that get flu shots. Their symptoms are often blamed on something else, so go unreported. It took doctors a week, with my wife in agonizing pain, to finally diagnose via a spinal tap, what she was suffering from.
    So become informed before making decisions about your health. The medical world is extremely vast and doctors cannot possibly know all the risks associated with every procedure.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    It seems to be spotty which may indicate that only some lots of vaccine are doing it.
    Or more likely that something other than the vaccine is causing it.

Thread Information