Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cadillac Lenses - Vision Expo East

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Cadillac....................

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    Would those be the oversized, decentered blanks?:)
    No, but they'll probably come with a curb finder option!:D
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    That is not the website sir. This is the work in progress which has not been approved by Cadillac as yet.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Haning on the web.......................

Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    That is not the website sir. This is the work in progress which has not been approved by Cadillac as yet.
    Of course we understand............however it is hanging out there on the web for anybody to see.

Should they not approve you can always try RollRoyce they might want some publicity too, plus a few bucks for the license,

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    Still weird name for a lens. Do patients actually ask for SV lenses by name?
    I second that question.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Of course we understand............however it is hanging out there on the web for anybody to see.

Should they not approve you can always try RollRoyce they might want some publicity too, plus a few bucks for the license,
    I mean't they have not approved the website as yet! :D

Everything else has been approved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    I second that question.
    When I was a practicing optometrist I knew that part of the care I provided required educating my patients. I was proactive in educating my patients and overtime they did ask for lens products by name.

10 years ago while still living in the US I was importing lenses from Japan, complete with Japanese printed envelopes. When discussing lens options with patients we offered prescription appropriate lens options. The Japanese lenses were much more expensive but were favored by the
    patients once they understood the differences.

Whether you become a Cadillac Lens buyer or not is not the issue. The name is not intended to be a gimmick. It is intended to bring attention to the product and warrant a closer look by people in our field. This was not a casual undertaking and the product designs and coatings have been painstakingly thought through.

I leave it to you to become educated about the product. Once you do you will understand that Cadillac Lenses are amongst the most advanced lens products available.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who is distributing them Doc? Will they be available through stock houses we generally use already?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Who is distributing them Doc? Will they be available through stock houses we generally use already?
    We have meetings scheduled with a number of stock houses this month. You can ask your stock house to stop by and see us if you like at Vision Expo.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper You love your brand names....................

Originally Posted by IndianaOD
    There has not been any brand namein SV for a long time like the AO Tyllier or the Zeiss Punktal..................

So why not be the first one to do it......you retailers out there love your brand names.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    I second that question.
    When I was a practicing optometrist I knew that part of the care I provided required educating my patients. I was proactive in educating my patients and overtime they did ask for lens products by name.

10 years ago while still living in the US I was importing lenses from Japan, complete with Japanese printed envelopes. When discussing lens options with patients we offered prescription appropriate lens options. The Japanese lenses were much more expensive but were favored by the
    patients once they understood the differences.
    This ties in nicely to a thread I started (http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28429). My initial complaint was that SV lens technology in the US is being neglected, and I wanted to know why more advanced SV lens designs were available nearly everywhere but the US.

The two questions at the top probably give me part of my answer - if practitioners view SV as a commodity market (where the selection is primarily based on material and possibly an aspheric option, but ignoring manufacturer/brand entirely), then I can understand why manufacturers don't bother bringing their most advanced SV lenses to the US.

As an SV wearer jealous of the options available to domestic PAL patients and foreign patients of all stripes, I'm excited that Doc has decided to bring a product like this to market.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Will DeVille styling be available? Perhaps a LaSalle model?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Will DeVille styling be available? Perhaps a LaSalle model?

One of my cousin's was/is an antique car collector. You just reminded me of riding in his 1938 (not exactly sure of the year) LasSalle. What a beauty.

At this time we have no plans for these styles at this time but we will surely file your ideas for future reference and credit you accordingly. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am eager to see what Doc has to offer. I know, I know, I am not one for name brands. But, I believe DocInChina to be a stand-up guy, and I trust that whatever he brings to market will be well researched, well thought out and top quality. Is the name suspect? I am not a marketing guy, I can not say. Is the product suspect? I think not if DocInChina is behind it. Lets see what he has to offer!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=Chris Ryser;236298]There has not been any brand namein SV for a long time like the AO Tyllier or the Zeiss Punktal..................

Chris you forgot the Panoptik by B & L and the Orthogon D but these were bifocals though.

just thought i would throw my 2 cents in :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There has not been any brand namein SV for a long time like the AO Tyllier or the Zeiss Punktal..................

So why not be the first one to do it......you retailers out there love your brand names.
    I guess I don't understand this statement. Everyone has a brand-name. Resolution, Phoenix, Airwear, Eyas, etc. I know these are materials, but as far as non-optical brand names on lenses we have Coppertone and Nikon and Kodak and Teflon and Scotchguard and . . .

In fact the words "Tyllier" and "Punktal" don't have any consumer awareness that I can think of.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

cadillac

i,m not sure i understand some of the optiboarders thinking that cadillac is a wierd name, after all, is there not cadillac frames on the market that are well made and doing well, i own a pair and will wear them to the show, i have the escalade.

knowing Eric personally as i do, i am sure this will be a great product, as in the immortal words of Jerry Huang, not hard to do, see you in new york eric

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Atoric vs Digital surface SV

Although, I am sure they will be much cheaper, I was wondering how an Atoric stock lens from Eric would compare with the forthcoming Autograph SV from Shamir?

That lens will be a true back surface digital design in a SV lens with no mould whatsoever if I understand correctly.

john

Keep on truckin...
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by teager View Post
    As an SV wearer jealous of the options available to domestic PAL patients and foreign patients of all stripes, I'm excited that Doc has decided to bring a product like this to market.
    No need. Tell them they can get brand new Cadillacs! ;)
    I stopped reading and posting on Optiboard for 1 month and this is what I come back to?

IMHO this product name is laughable and will never be approved by General Motors for your use in the US. Perhaps you can get around it by selling them from China; I am not sure how trade rules work when it comes to copyrighted trademarks. I really have to disagree with the notion that optical professionals would enjoy telling their patients they are getting the 'Cadillac of lenses' with a straight face. I just don't see it happening. Sorry.

From what I read this lens is not a 'more advanced single vision lens' like the Rodenstock Mono, Shamir Attitude SV, soon to be released design from HOYA, or a frame fit optimized lens like ICE-TECH produces. It is a stock lens, correct?

Adam

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post

IMHO this product name is laughable and will never be approved by General Motors for your use in the US.
    The product has been approved and is licensed by General Motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherry Optical View Post
    I really have to disagree with the notion that optical professionals would enjoy telling their patients they are getting the 'Cadillac of lenses' with a straight face. I just don't see it happening. Sorry.
    The optical professionals that were surveyed prior to getting involved with the brand had positive reactions to the brand. Does tht translate into sales, no. Only time will tell.

From what I read this lens is not a 'more advanced single vision lens' like the Rodenstock Mono, Shamir Attitude SV, soon to be released design from HOYA, or a frame fit optimized lens like ICE-TECH produces. It is a stock lens, correct?
    [/quote]

These are atoric stock lenses, not custom free form lenses.

Eric
    Last edited by DocInChina; 04-04-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Too harsh a reaction secondary to extreme jetlag.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

It's hard to break the mold...

Quote Originally Posted by john-atlanta View Post
    Although, I am sure they will be much cheaper, I was wondering how an Atoric stock lens from Eric would compare with the forthcoming Autograph SV from Shamir?

That lens will be a true back surface digital design in a SV lens with no mould whatsoever if I understand correctly.

john
    Gang

There's still so much confusion about digitally surfaced products because of the vast number of designs, techniques, and 'myth information' spread around the industry regarding freeform.
    Even the most advanced digitally surfaced lenses still begin there existence as a cast (or molded), semi-finished SV lens or 'puck'. There has to be a perfect true curve to start with before any optimizing (atorics) on the back can be done. As for the 'puck' with no optical curve per se, the original Zeiss Gradal Individual lenses from Germany were true DUAL digitally surfaced products. The progressive surface was customized (the key to better freeform) on the front with a freeformed, standard sphero-cylinder Rx backside. Depending on power and choosen material, you could get a lens process with this technique or a shearly backside digital design freeformed on a ready-to-process (molded) SFSV lens.
    What's more interesting yet, is that it actually does not matter whether it's front, back, or split between the two. In fact, splitting (and backside optimizing atorics over a pre-cast frontside progressive like 360, the original Multigressiv and Top 1.6 atoric) introduces the possibilities of more problems due to rotational and X,Y axis errors in blocking. However, the outcome can truely be the same when done well. Consistency is better in full backsides and customizing over just optimizing will nearly always be better. The whole keyhole argument has recently been tossed out the window too.

It's another $2 to mull.

See ya!
    Last edited by LightSpeedAway; 04-04-2008 at 12:49 PM.

Thread Information