Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Computer Lenses?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Computer Lenses?

What computer lenses are you having the most success with? We have tried the Sola Access, Zeiss Business and RD, and a couple of others and have had limited sucess. Is it just better to split the add and put them in a regular progressive?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been using SV or FTs with great success!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe the position of the computer and chair will have significance effect on the wearers, a proper way should works, the monitors + higher chair ?

I use shamir office for heavy computer workers, intermediate + near use hoya Tact, they both ok.

:cheers:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had good success with Sola Access.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have been using SV or FTs with great success!
    To which I would add Executives.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    And of course we shoud free form those FT and Execs. :D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    And of course we shoud free form those FT and Execs. :D
    Yes, but only the edges at the bottom for near vision or the temporal edges for peripheral enhancement of the ellipsoid .

Bad address email on file Freedom's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can used ... every brand of same product type.

If you understand ...

1. your customer need

2. your product
    2.1 degression of power ... for each product
    2.2 minimum fitting high ... for each product
    2.3 Power range ... for each product

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrad View Post
    What computer lenses are you having the most success with? We have tried the Sola Access, Zeiss Business and RD, and a couple of others and have had limited sucess. Is it just better to split the add and put them in a regular progressive?
    My clients prefer the latter if it's for frequent use on a large screen desktop monitor, at a distance of at least 22", with the center of the screen at or about ten degrees below eye level. The field of clear and stable vision will be better at the screen distance, and you will be able to adjust the power to exactly match the wearer's work distances.

Segmented multifocals provide the largest fields, especially for the desktop distance. However, most existing PAL wearers find the line disruptive, and will prefer the PAL design, including many if not most of those who have near work spread out across the entire width of the desk!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    The field of clear and stable vision will be better at the screen distance
    I'm always interested in what's going on in your head, Robert.

I think you are saying that in some NVF lenses, the power changes in the visual zones are significant enough that they become "touchy"...tilt your head a little and a half-diopter of plus can come or go.

Some of the NVFs seem to be like giant progressive corridors running the length of the lens...extra long and extra wide, but never the same power anywhere.

I think this comes from the design flaw of trying to "do too much", that is, trying to regress/progress from 40 cm to 10 M or more.

That's why I use the Sola Access...it's beautifully Neanderthal...large computer zone, large near zone...can't see for squat outside your cubicle.

Robert, which overplussed progressive have you utilized for these computer jobs? Solamax? It has a lot of good qualities...cheap, wide, soft.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bet the Sola XL, or its called The Boss at half the price at 3 Rivers, would be a great computer lens too. I say that because I did a lot of research to find out what lens would be best to use for someone who reads a lot of Japanese, that's up and down reading for the unknowing. Anway, I had her in a comfort and 2 other progressives through the years unsuccessfully, until I came across the XL. I put the centers about 2mm above center of pupil, and she does fantastic.
    BTW, I too wear the sola access to do lab work,including putting jobs on the computer, and have to switch over to my gt2's when I go into the dispensary.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I'm always interested in what's going on in your head, Robert.
    Well, thanks. It sure is nice to have a forum where so many different ideas can be exchanged, or as Rod Serling would say- "submitted for your approval".

I think you are saying that in some NVF lenses, the power changes in the visual zones are significant enough that they become "touchy"...tilt your head a little and a half-diopter of plus can come or go.
    Right, both up and down as well as right and left. 12" monitors twenty degrees down have been replaced with wide screen 24" monitors at eye level, somtimes with two monitors side by side.

Some of the NVFs seem to be like giant progressive corridors running the length of the lens...extra long and extra wide, but never the same power anywhere.
    They're not extra wide where it counts- at, or slightly below eye level. Moreover, they're usually too strong at this height (sometimes too weak) for the typical 24" to 26" monitor distance.

I think this comes from the design flaw of trying to "do too much", that is, trying to regress/progress from 40 cm to 10 M or more.
    Some even have distance vision, the best being Hoya's Tact and AO's Technica. Short of using a 60% trifocal (if you can still get them), these lenses are the only solution if you have a monitor on your desk, and need to see distance, albeit with a slight drop of the chin.

That's why I use the Sola Access...it's beautifully Neanderthal...large computer zone, large near zone...can't see for squat outside your cubicle.
    The Access ("The optics of occupational progressive lenses" -Sheedy and Hardy) has a very wide near, about 45mm wide with a +2.50 Add (.50 DC limits) at 15mm below the straight ahead gaze, but only 6mm wide on-axis and 7mm at 5mm below. Moreover, the intermediate power of +2.00 and 2.25 respectively, is much too strong, unless the monitor is a very close 19" or so.

Robert, which overplussed progressive have you utilized for these computer jobs? Solamax? It has a lot of good qualities...cheap, wide, soft.
    Most any PAL that has a generous distance zone. I like the Genesis, but if I need a .75 Add instead of a +1.00 Add, or a flatter curve, I'll use the ECP from Hoya.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shamir Office

is my lens of choice never have had anyone come back, my Husband loves them as well, His job puts him on a computer all 8 Hr's of his work day. he say's the Access is ok but he notices a more wider field of midrange with the Office Lens.vme:)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My office uses the Shamir Office with great success! I even use a blended 28 for some patients and they have reported that it works well also...just dont forget the panto!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We have had good luck with access and RD (when it's not on b/o) also Nexyma by Rodenstock. There is a 40 and an 80. 40cm distance focus and 80cm distance focus. Hoya TACT is really nice too. I personally like the idea of SV when feasible.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    the rd is the one that has worked for us the LEAST. Speaking of Rodenstock though, I ordered an old rodenstock design uncut lens we used to sell, the life c, and the lab told me that they had heard rodenstock was going under. Anyone heard that rumor? As it turned out, rodenstock no longer makes molded lenses -,ie: life c, so I called rodenstock and they told me a lens of theirs that was interchangable. I didn't ask them if they were going out of business.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by THE MEB View Post
    the rd is the one that has worked for us the LEAST. Speaking of Rodenstock though, I ordered an old rodenstock design uncut lens we used to sell, the life c, and the lab told me that they had heard rodenstock was going under. Anyone heard that rumor? As it turned out, rodenstock no longer makes molded lenses -,ie: life c, so I called rodenstock and they told me a lens of theirs that was interchangable. I didn't ask them if they were going out of business.
    Friend of mine just accepted a position there and said that they are breathing new life into Rodenstock. I think you will see more of a presence from them than there has been in a long time.

As for computer lenses, Shamir Office was never a success for me - maybe I just didn't understand the product well enough. Sola Access was good and I mostly used the Varilux Liberty and split the add because of the wide vision above and below the 180. I typically asked those patients who spent great amounts of time on a computer to measure the distance between themselves and the monitor before getting a refraction and then had them position my laptop about where their computer was so I could see the angle they were viewing the screen from before measuring the seg.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've used FTs, Shamir Office and Zeiss RD all with reasonable success. The RD has a very long corridor and is sometimes easier for the computer user than the Office. If you know how to manipulate the add/digression, you can get either lens to work for either desk-work (4 feet out max) or office-work (10 feet out max). To work properly, the RD needs a very deep frame, at least 25mm down from center pupil. The Office can get away with 18mm down from center pupil and 13mm up.

I like Robert's suggestion to use a general-use progressive and may try that.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Weiss View Post
    I like Robert's suggestion to use a general-use progressive and may try that.
    If you are going to use a progressive, many are priced quite a bit higher than the computer lenses. You also need one with a wide intermediate. SolaMax and XL were mentioned and I think those are good choices. But still more expensive than computer lenses (except the Boss at TRO).

I think many clients just don't get the computer lens concept. I enjoyed mine. I think it is a better choice for the full presbyope (>2.00 add) to use a computer lens as opposed to a FT because there are multiple focal lengths.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

Re: Rodenstock

We sell a decent amount of their Life2 and LifeXs, along with the Nexyma. They are distributed through Optical Distribution Copr., out of Ohio. They have a free from called MyView as well. I have not heard anything about them going out of business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    If you are going to use a progressive, many are priced quite a bit higher than the computer lenses. You also need one with a wide intermediate
    Mark,

The intermediate is of little consequence; the distance portion of the PAL is powered to provide the best vision for the screen distance.

Andrew,

Here's a tip- set the FC no higher than the middle of the bottom third of the screen.

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Andrew,

Here's a tip- set the FC no higher than the middle of the bottom third of the screen.
    Thank you. :)
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I Use Sv Or Shamir Office Only!!! For 2 Years With No Problems!
    VALLIEO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not a fan of any office lens personally. I don't like that they use modified prescriptions. Modified in a way that I have no idea how to check the rx. So I don't bother with them. If the person really wants a PAL, I'll just use a short corridor lens with the intermediate on top.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I'm not a fan of any office lens personally. I don't like that they use modified prescriptions. Modified in a way that I have no idea how to check the rx. So I don't bother with them. If the person really wants a PAL, I'll just use a short corridor lens with the intermediate on top.

The office lens is very easy to check in. All you do is read the reading. Those are shamirs instructions. It's a shame that you gave up so easily. We do alot of this lens and in almost five years I have had only one non adapt.

christina

Thread Information