Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F U.v.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

F U.v.

Two threads mentioning U.V. and no one will answer a simple question:
    Do you, as an optician, recommend that people with 20/20 vision, no correction needed, wear glasses with plano lenses and a U.V. coat to protect them from the deadly rays of the sun?
    If the answer is yes, you're really weird. If the answer is no, just admit you're scamming a few extra bucks out of patients when it comes to the U.V. issue.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    Do you, as an optician, recommend that people with 20/20 vision, no correction needed, wear glasses with plano lenses and a U.V. coat to protect them from the deadly rays of the sun?
    If the answer is yes, you're really weird. If the answer is no, just admit you're scamming a few extra bucks out of patients when it comes to the U.V. issue.
    No, but I recommend sunglasses with polarized and UV protection. It's like poly I see it as a doty to warn. I never push anything, but I can make a case for UV, have you seen what it does to a brand new couch, curtains, dashboard of your car? Let your patient walk into my office and he will think you a barbarian for not offering UV. Do I make a few bucks off of it sure. I am sure the target downt he road that sells sunscreen has a mark up on it and I don't think they should feel bad about it. Our office is a business and as such we never feel sorry for making money by offering anyone products that can or cannot be usefull to patients.

Please don't use the words scamming about my profession, their is data available about UV and it's not a scam.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

So, in your question you state that the rays from the sun are deadly. If this is the case, then why do you bother even asking, shouldn't you really be asking if we suggest plano sun to every person?

If you truly think we are scamming people for $ and not looking out for their best interest, why stop with the UV coat . . . To hell with glasses all together!

Tell your patients that money takes precedence over their health, and even though they are a -5.00, you tell them no need for glasses just "squint harder." Think of how much money you will be saving your patients. Won't that make you feel so much better.

Thats what this whole multibillion dollar industry is, one big scam. I just guess you have found us out with our silly little UV coat.

Kudos to you my friend. :cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ultraviolet Radiation

What is ultraviolet radiation?

Energy from the sun reaches the earth as visible, infrared, and ultraviolet (UV) rays.
    • <LI class=body-text>Ultraviolet A (UVA) is made up of wavelengths 320 to 400 nanometers (nm) in length.

• <LI class=body-text>Ultraviolet B (UVB) wavelengths are 280 to 320 nm in length.
    • Ultraviolet C (UVC) wavelengths are 100 to 280 nm in length.
    Only UVA and UVB ultraviolet rays reach the earth's surface. The earth's atmosphere absorbs UVC wavelengths.
    • <LI class=body-text>UVB rays cause a much greater risk of skin cancer than UVA. However, UVA rays cause aging, wrinkling, and loss of elasticity.
    • UVA also increases the damaging effects of UVB, including skin cancer and cataracts (an eye disorder characterized by a change in the structure of the crystalline lens that causes blurred vision).
    In most cases, ultraviolet rays react with a chemical called melanin, that is found in the skin. This is the first defense against the sun, as it is the melanin that absorbs the dangerous UV rays that can do serious skin damage. A sunburn develops when the amount of UV damage exceeds the protection that the skin's melanin can provide. While a small amount of exposure to sunlight is healthy and pleasurable, too much can be dangerous. Measures should be taken to prevent overexposure to sunlight in order to reduce the risks of cancers, premature aging of the skin, the development of cataracts, and other harmful effects.

What is the Ultraviolet (UV) Index?

In response to the increasing incidence of skin cancer, cataracts, and other effects from exposure to the sun's harmful rays, the National Weather Service (NWS), the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) collaborated on a sun-awareness information program. An important part of this program is the Ultraviolet (UV) Index, developed by the National Meteorological Center of the National Weather Service.
    The Index is a next-day forecast that estimates the amount of ultraviolet radiation that will reach the earth's surface - providing important information to help you prevent overexposure to the sun's rays. The Index also includes the effects of cloud cover on the anticipated UV exposure level for the next day.

This page was last updated on 02/12/03.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am in the UK
    what is this thing called the sun?
    Al

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post

I am in the UK
    what is this thing called the sun?
    Al
    Hangs up in the sky abd when you get rid of your fog you will make the discovery. :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an optician I don't recommend wearing clear plano UV protected lenses though it's not a bad idea if you want to be extra cautious. I's just that no one besides the ultra-paranoid would wear them. I don't scam anyone and in fact haven't sold UV as an add on in a long time. We use lenses that are already UV filtered or add it in. Never an extra charge and we have been doing this for probably 12 years.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Hangs up in the sky abed when you get rid of your fog you will make the discovery. :cheers:
    Amazingly this phenomon has happened this morning the bright light has once again appeared in the sky all the Grey people coming out of their houses to see if the world is about to end
    Going to be very busy for the hospital today!
    On old guy remembers this once, going around telling folk not to worry but don't look directly at it cos he knows, good man!
    Tell you what still bloody cold though!!

Alan:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dang, dang, double dang! I missed a chance to scam that young lawyer that bought a frame and had me put in plano clear cr39 lenses. He looks like Dookie Houser like about 15. He wanted to look more professional. And I didn't sell him a UV coat!! ( honest, true story..)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

To your first question yes I bring it their attention that according to AOA in their article entitled U/V Protection which can be found at:
    http://www.aoa.org/x4735.xml that UV is harmful to the eye. Would you not give information to a person who was a welder of the hazards of uv or just say "oh well I hope your vision will be ok but I don't recommend protection". So ya I m scamming the people out of a few bucks so later I don't find a law suit at my door step for not telling them DTW.

I just don't believe this and I thought I saw everything

Last edited by jediron1; 03-21-2008 at 11:22 AM.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recommend that people with no correction wear sunglasses with UV protection. How is that scamming people?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    As an optician I don't recommend wearing clear plano UV protected lenses though it's not a bad idea if you want to be extra cautious. I's just that no one besides the ultra-paranoid would wear them. I don't scam anyone and in fact haven't sold UV as an add on in a long time. We use lenses that are already UV filtered or add it in. Never an extra charge and we have been doing this for probably 12 years.
    Well hell's bells! An honest optician doing a good job and not trying to get an extra 15 bucks out of every patient.
    That's exactly what I do, Cocoisland, and what I wanted to know was if anyone thought as I do on the subject.
    Thanks.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    thats because u.v is the biggest gimmick in the optical world.:hammer:the only true way to protect your eyes at all times is to wear wrap arounds and who wants to wear them.
    If you don't stand up, You don't stand a chance.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, maybe "gimmick" is a better word than "scam." I'm adamant about two things...U.V. to protect your eyes from the sun and poly to protect your eyes from some imagined injury.
    In both cases, no normal optician recommends that people walk around with plano, poly lenses (with U.V. coat to block out that extra 1% of sunlight).
    We sell contacts, and while we suggest sunglasses (again for the dreaded U.V. scare reasons), none of us suggest wearing poly planos over the contacts just in case a nail happens to detach itself from the wall and fly at the patient's eyes.
    "Consumer Reports" type media are calling us on these two lies, and I'm glad they are.
    We can make money in an honest business, and if you're into honesty four facts are clear:
    1. The vast majority of human beings absorb more U.V. radiation as children, and selling U.V. coat to an old man isn't going to help him.
    2. Even CR-39 blocks a good bit of U.V. radiation, and poly virtually all.
    3. CR-39 lenses protect your eyes more than no lenses at all, and yet we try to scare people into buying poly as if they'll "put their eye out" if they choose otherwise.
    4. Many lucky people need no vision correction, and we don't seem to be alarmed about the fact that they're walking around without poly in front of their eyes to protect them and of course missing out on U.V. coating. If we really believe our B.S., why not a massive campaign to get everyone, especially children, to wear plano poly lenses to protect their eyes from projectiles and the sun?
    Sunglasses for children are smart, but we don't really sell that because the margin isn't there, and frankly a five-dollar pair of drug-store glasses will protect a kid from U.V.
    I'm sorry I used the word "scam," but on a lot of the stuff we do, that word's being used more and more in the media. With the internet, we can't hide our methods and margins as we used to.
    It's time to slaughter some sacred cows.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    this thread reminded me of a patient we had about 20 years ago, who was a glass blower. He was in his early 30's, but because he had no correction, didn't wear eyeglasses when staring into the hot furnace all day. Subsequently he had acquired catarcts. We made up a pair of plano dididium glasses under his VSP. When they came back we found out VSP wouldn't pay for them because they were plano. Patient refused to take glasses,(we had them sitting in a discontinued box for 15 years) because he was going to have to pay for them himself. That was the last we heard of him, I often wondered what transpired with him as his cataracts worsened. The obvious answer would be surgery, and then hopefully a job change. It really sucked that the company he worked for wouldn't provide for plano dididium lenses for him.

Occupation

Question.................

I'm sorry I used the word "scam," but on a lot of the stuff we do, that word's being used more and more in the media. With the internet, we can't hide our methods and margins as we used to.
    So, you want to kill of the UV protection as useless money maker scam, I dint think that the consumer will go for that as they have heard enough about UV damage.

You probably have never heard of the officially accepted Florida Test, where coatings, paints, textile and plastic are exposed by their manufacturers to measure the time span it takes to destroy the product by the daily blast,s of UV hammering away at their products.

The addition to a pair of glasses is a well spent $15.00 that provide some peace of mind.
    The scam and the ripoff is done bu those charge for it and dint do it, or dint do it right. The public should not even buy UV treated lenses if the optician does not have a digital UV tester in his store to show the results.

Polycarbonate.................the #15,00 for the UV is not a sacred cow that should be slaughtered,
    .................................... whoever you beloved progressive lenses are a much bigger catch.
    For 220-300 $ more you sell lenses that have a distorted lens surface that covers 50% of the lens, while a regular bifocal has 2 100% perfectly clear areas and costs a lot less.

So, why focus on a do good UV for 15 bucks, if you can sell distorted lenses for 100dreads more.

You only want to justfy...........killing the wrong sacred cows.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    So, you want to kill of the UV protection as useless money maker scam, I dint think that the consumer will go for that as they have heard enough about UV damage.

Actually it is my experience over the last 5 years or so that it is the consumer who brings up the subject of UV, not I. Many times they want to know if the sunglasses they are about to purchase have UV protection. To which I reply "certainly they will and your clear dress lenses have a UV filter also as we include it in all of our lenses". People have become more aware of the potential damage of UV rays. This comes courtesy of the same source that hypes global warming. I am not discounting completely the effects of prolonged exposure to UV but I am sitting here on Easter Sunday looking at 5 inches of snow. Global warming? Good, bring it on.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Globa warming...................

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    ..........................but I am sitting here on Easter Sunday looking at 5 inches of snow. Global warming? Good, bring it on.
    Easter has been displaced to a much to early date..............if it be on April 23 you'd be looking at flowers in 70F weather. Globasl warming wick itself on when the time is right...........in the meantime nobody talks about it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris;

All of your ranting about UV and scamming just makes me want to do business with you even more!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Dang, dang, double dang! I missed a chance to scam that young lawyer that bought a frame and had me put in plano clear cr39 lenses. He looks like Dookie Houser like about 15. He wanted to look more professional. And I didn't sell him a UV coat!! ( honest, true story..)
    Back in the sixties there was an article in Esquire magazine about "dressing the part." It's premise was that certain clothing, accoutrement's and haberdashery could influence others attitude toward you.

The article discussed exactly this issue pointing out that certain eyewear styles could make one look more professional or studious. It also pointed out that a pair of glasses could be held in the hands and gestured while speaking to emphasize certain points. It also suggested that glasses could be held in the hands while public speaking to help in preventing "talking with your hands" or to "give your hands something to do."

We did have an attorney who normally wore a rimless mounting is a 402-4 shape. Clients actually wanted to go and pinch his cheek and give him a hug. He also had a heavy black zyle frame that he wore in court. He looked like a Mafia hit man.

For about six months we sold a lot of eyewear with white plano lenses.
    And, back in those days UV wasn't an issue. Of course we all know that today and that is part of our sales presentation, isn't it.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Y

Dear Paul,
    While you are going about slaughtering some sacred cows, do yourself a favor and do some research on the effects of Ultra Violet radiation on the human eye. I think you will find a causal relationship to it and the formation of cataracts as well as macular degeneration. You may choose to ignore the results of these studies, of course, but try not convince others that you speak with any authority on the subject because you obviously don't have it...........yet!
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-23-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: added ......yet!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    3. CR-39 lenses protect your eyes more than no lenses at all, and yet we try to scare people into buying poly as if they'll "put their eye out" if they choose otherwise.
    My preferred lens material is Trivex. I do not want to get into another argument about poly vs. Trivex, I have worn both and have fit my family in both and with the feedback I have received, it works best for my office.

The idea of telling everyone they need plano poly or Trivex lenses to avoid "putting their eye out" is ludicrous. If someone does not require correction, there is little chance of their eyeglasses breaking if they are in an accident or get hit by a stray baseball or whatever. However, if someone is wearing glass or CR-39 lenses in their glasses the lenses are much more likely to shatter in these situations and, due to simple physics, be driven toward the eyes. It is not a matter of trying to scam everyone, simply a matter of ensuring the safest product to fit the patient's needs.

As for UV protection, we recommend plano sun for all contact lens and emmetropic patients as well as children. But as the old saying goes, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

Occupation

Redhot Jumper All of your ranting about UV ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Chris;
    All of your ranting about UV and scamming just makes me want to do business with you even more!
    Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Golfnorth:
    As for the ranting and scamming about UV, I have done that when your were still in school....................and about doing business, I don't want to talk about it on Easter Sunday, it is against my principles.

ths morning hid the easter egg's and goodies on the golf course behind the house in the south.
    Have a nice easter,
    from the Golf-south under the sun and UV :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    Dear Paul,
    While you are going about slaughtering some sacred cows, do yourself a favor and do some research on the effects of Ultra Violet radiation on the human eye. I think you will find a causal relationship to it and the formation of cataracts as well as macular degeneration. You may choose to ignore the results of these studies, of course, but try not convince others that you speak with any authority on the subject because you obviously don't have it...........yet!

Touche' HC.

Polycarb real should take a class from AMA or AOA on the harmful effects of U/V. Where ever he got his training I think he missed a day or two when they were studying U/V.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Staring into a hot furnace

I suspect this patient would have been better protected with infrared protection. Sounds like he got a "glass blowers catarac" which is caused by infrared, not UV.

Chip

Thread Information