Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frames made in USA?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Frames made in USA?

Hey members,

Are there any decent frame lines made in the US? I can't really find any, besides Oakley which is Lux so I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Someone should start one. The only problem is competeing with the Chinese pricewise.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Someone should start one. The only problem is competeing with the Chinese pricewise.
    Small Problem!:D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    Hey members,

Are there any decent frame lines made in the US? I can't really find any, besides Oakley which is Lux so I'd prefer not to.

Thanks.
    there is an excellant frame called silver dollar which is based in oneonta,new york.I know the rep pretty good, brant rogers, pm if you want some prices on anything from 3 piece drill mounts to really nice lady and gent plastic and metal frames.3 piece come stainless and titanium.:)
    If you don't stand up, You don't stand a chance.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Small Problem!:D
    It's to bad all chinese made frames are made with lead in them and nobody here in the states care because of there lump growing out of their neck prices

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lead

Quote Originally Posted by slubberdegullian View Post
    It's to bad all chinese made frames are made with lead in them and nobody here in the states care because of there lump growing out of their neck prices
    I think the lead issue in frames is a non issue. For a number of reasons.

The amount of lead is small.
    There is no direct contact with the skin. (the metal frames are plated)
    the nose pads are not metal and the ear covers are not metal.

The plating contains very little if any lead and many frames are actually sprayed with a clear product to seal the surface.

Europe has very strict standards regarding preventing alergic reactions due to Nickel. I think the nickel issue would be of more concern than the lead.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    I think the lead issue in frames is a non issue. For a number of reasons.

The amount of lead is small.
    There is no direct contact with the skin. (the metal frames are plated)
    the nose pads are not metal and the ear covers are not metal.

The plating contains very little if any lead and many frames are actually sprayed with a clear product to seal the surface.

Europe has very strict standards regarding preventing alergic reactions due to Nickel. I think the nickel issue would be of more concern than the lead.
    rightfully said but for little kids that wear all zyl frames that do have alot of contact with skin,and what do kids love to do??chew on the tips of these templesso as you sell these types of frames think twice about it and sell american products to keep the economy strong instead of the other country.:finger:

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Best Frame material for Children

rightfully said but for little kids that wear all zyl frames that do have alot of contact with skin,and what do kids love to do??chew on the tips of these templesso as you sell these types of frames think twice about it and sell american products to keep the economy strong instead of the other country.:finger:
    I would recommend TR-90 material frame over zyl for children. This material is much more durable.

Occupation
    Don't forget that the confiscatory corporate tax rates, environmental regulations, licensing, insurance and all of the other costs of doing business in the US make it impractical to manufacture this type of product here. Our federal, state and local governments place many hurdles in the path of entrepreneurs thereby stifling the manufacturing process.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    there is an excellant frame called silver dollar which is based in oneonta,new york.I know the rep pretty good, brant rogers, pm if you want some prices on anything from 3 piece drill mounts to really nice lady and gent plastic and metal frames.3 piece come stainless and titanium.:)

You're kidding right?

Show me an American made frame from Silver Dollar, and I'll eat it!

Rallod Revils means "Made in China" (If you spell it frontwards, it means the same thing)
    :hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation

Financing in America vs. other emerging markets

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Don't forget that the confiscatory corporate tax rates, environmental regulations, licensing, insurance and all of the other costs of doing business in the US make it impractical to manufacture this type of product here. Our federal, state and local governments place many hurdles in the path of entrepreneurs thereby stifling the manufacturing process.
    In addition to the above an American company making a product like eyewear would find raising the capital almost impossible, while the countries like China and other emerging market countries have programs designed to allow these type of factories to be built. They are looking at the total picture, export $, employment for their people, etc.

The US wants to make sure Billions of $ are available to investment banking firms in the form of government backed loans.

What if the US government backed low interest loans that were available to companies who could increase there employee count by 10% or more. I would estimate the credit risk would be spread much better than a few large investment banking houses

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    In addition to the above an American company making a product like eyewear would find raising the capital almost impossible, while the countries like China and other emerging market countries have programs designed to allow these type of factories to be built. They are looking at the total picture, export $, employment for their people, etc.

The US wants to make sure Billions of $ are available to investment banking firms in the form of government backed loans.

What if the US government backed low interest loans that were available to companies who could increase there employee count by 10% or more. I would estimate the credit risk would be spread much better than a few large investment banking houses
    The US top marginal federal corporate tax rate is 35%. As to government backed loans and bail-outs they too are taxpayer theft. Why should I have to pay for a defaulted loan contracted between a stupid person and a stupid bank? Why should we have to bail out an auto manufacturer that is building junk?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Luxee

Here is an actual frame company that makes their stuff in the USA.

Luxee. They specialize in fairly expensive drill mounts using natural horn and natural wood temples.

At least the nature collection said made in the USA

J

Occupation
    There are also some few custom makers in the US.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hmm. So I guess we still don't have any. Can it really cost more than $5 extra to make a frame in the US? The weak dollar should help this even more.

Some of you opticians should go together and make some decent stuff. ODs looking for US made stuff pops up quite a bit on other forums.

So is there nothing out there that is realistic? I don't want frames carved from squirrel bones or whatever!

Occupation
    Hmm. So I guess we still don't have any. Can it really cost more than $5 extra to make a frame in the US? The weak dollar should help this even more.

Some of you opticians should go together and make some decent stuff. ODs looking for US made stuff pops up quite a bit on other forums.

So is there nothing out there that is realistic? I don't want frames carved from squirrel bones or whatever!
    You had better believe that it would cost a lot more than $5.00 to make an equivalent product in the US than in some third world hell hole like France, Italy or China. OD's may be looking for this stuff but they notoriously go for the low ball stuff. Opticians might be able to make frames for other opticians but that market is quite small right now. However, once the public gets tired of the crap that is coming out of the schlock houses they will return to the true craftsmen for their visual devices.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    You had better believe that it would cost a lot more than $5.00 to make an equivalent product in the US than in some third world hell hole like France, Italy or China. OD's may be looking for this stuff but they notoriously go for the low ball stuff. Opticians might be able to make frames for other opticians but that market is quite small right now. However, once the public gets tired of the crap that is coming out of the schlock houses they will return to the true craftsmen for their visual devices.

$5 more, not $5. Even if it cost $10 more per piece I think it could fly. The stuff from Italy already costs a fortune.

Occupation

squirrel bones heheheheheheh waaaaaa hoooooooooooo:DI'm telling you try silver dollar call mr. rogers at 1-800 962-3200 you will be glad you did and stop buying from these lead making bi...slappin their employees for .50 cents an hour.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Most of what I recall about North American made frames was this :

NO STYLE !

It wasn't Price !

They had NO STYLE !

Talk price all you want but that was just the excuse .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    squirrel bones heheheheheheh waaaaaa hoooooooooooo:DI'm telling you try silver dollar call mr. rogers at 1-800 962-3200 you will be glad you did and stop buying from these lead making bi...slappin their employees for .50 cents an hour.

Silver Dollar makes no frames here in the U.S. they are all chinese. As Johns said above, show me just one they make here, I doubt they even put a nose pad screw on a frame here.

Artcraft is the only US mass maker to my knowledge left here, and they are even farming some of their product out overseas. You have to if you wish to compete.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Artcraft is the only US mass maker to my knowledge left here, and they are even farming some of their product out overseas. You have to if you wish to compete.
    What about Shuron and Universal/Univis??

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    ArtCraft ?

I stand by my earlier post . NO STYLE . Those are not frames . Take a close look at their "FASHION FORWARD " styles . cough cough cough choking

This stuff is re-re-re-revived retro . In other words it is old antiques being remade .

cough cough cough sputter .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    What about Shuron and Universal/Univis??
    There was a post a few months back about Universal shutting down. I forgot about Shuron. Which leads me to...........

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ArtCraft ?

I stand by my earlier post . NO STYLE . Those are not frames . Take a close look at their "FASHION FORWARD " styles . cough cough cough choking

This stuff is re-re-re-revived retro . In other words it is old antiques being remade .

cough cough cough sputter .
    ...Totally agreeing on the style aspect of US made frames today.

Occupation

Why WWII Killed The US Frame Business

We may, perhaps, blame that pesky WWII for the eventual demise of the US frame business (and, much of other industrial processes such as steel manufacturing as well.) Say what!

Prior to and especially during WWII the US was unsurpassed in the quality and quantity on manufactured goods with the exception of a few products such as German optics and Swiss watches. The Second World War pretty much destroyed the manufacturing capacity of Eastern and Western Europe and Japan while the US. was able to refocus manufacturing from bullets to butter.

The Post War reconstruction, primarily through the Marshal Plan led to the rebirth of industry and, in the case of Japan, a new way of looking at the manufacturing process (please refer to W. Edward Demming.) By the nineteen fifties Europe and Japan were retooling their plants; replacing old turn of the century machinery and production methods with new technology perhaps the greatest of which was the ability to reduce the product cycle time from years to days. This has allowed these new and lean manufacturers to respond to rapidly to changing consumer needs and demands.

Many of the US manufacturers clung to their old manufacturing philosophy's and methodologies and suffered greatly. Those industries that retooled and rethought their business processes have thrived; unfortunately non of them have been in the ophthalmic optics marketplace.

Hopefully this will change in the future.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Style:
    everyone talks about China and price, but think about this :

a) can you name a Chinese frame designer or brand?
    b) until the last ten years did Lux make frames in China ?
    c) what built Lux was it price alone ? or was it style and fashion ? or was it value ?
    d) name a Lux brand or designer ?
    e) can you think of a Chinese style ? can you think VOGUE and visualize a style ? what about Sergio Techini ? what about Armani ?
    f ) if you haven't figured it out yet... what built Lux was a combination of things that can be summed up in two words Honest VALUE .
    Want a definition of HONEST VALUE ?
    1) style and REAL Fashion (listen up ARTCRAFT) by real designers with recognizable names (BRANDS)
    2) Quality . There is no better quality for the dollar than a Lux Italian, made in Italy frame !
    3) Nobody beats them on quality and service and style and function , and honesty , depth of product, color choices and sizes and value pricing .

It is not about price alone .

Did you ever try to sell a customer a frame they did not like just because the price was really, really cheap ? Or did they still want a style that they were comfortable wearing ?

North American frame manufacturers went out of business because they were and still are like the big three auto manufacturers .... they don't understand anything but price ... they never stopped to figure out why the imports were taking over . And they still do not understand the logic as to why Toyota Camry is selling so well ... style, quality.service , longevity , value and you know something ?....Camry's aren't cheap .

Thread Information