Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One of the secrets to Lenscrafters success

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=DragonLensmanWV;234678]
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post

My point is, if it's standard and you cannot get it any other way, it is unethical to charge extra for it, like extra charges for scratch coat and UV filter on Transitions.

How many cars do you buy without tires?

I did get your point it was avious. Instead of using a car I used a frame an it's parts more pertaining to optical then car unless your assuming that driving to work should be under consideration and in certain circumstances it could be. just my take :bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020zen View Post
    Here's one for ya ... how about a LC lab tech not knowing what "AR" means until you point out to him that it means anti-reflective? Now, that's scary!
    What's even scarier is that I've heard it in other places and in some wholesale labs and even some dispenseries.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020zen View Post
    Here's one for ya ... how about a LC lab tech not knowing what "AR" means until you point out to him that it means anti-reflective? Now, that's scary!

One of mine friends at the LUX brand stores told me he once called the lab and asked if they knew how to do prism thinning. They asked prism what? Now maybe you had to have been around awhile maybe even worked in a lab but my friend was dumb founded that they did not know this. Live and learn
    ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You might get away with that in Utah but if you get caught doing something like that in NY you could loose your license. If you knowingly put down something the DOC did not put down, your practicing Optometry, at least in NY you can't do that. Now if you would have said "We called the DOC and explained the situation to him and he said make it -1.00" and record that, then it's ok because the DOC has final say not us. It's his rx not ours.

just my take :bbg:
    It is not illegal because the actual rx appears on the order and receipt that the patient gets.

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

bashing lux

You guys are getting really nit picky on these LC folks. But I am sure that when you guys started out, you guys knew EVERYTHING and were PERFECT from Day One, and NEVER made a mistake or said something incorrectly.

You're absolutely correct Matty, great job standing up for what is right, the optical profession has changed drastically over the years like a lot of other industries, there may be some great and some below mediocre opticians, I've seen both at Lux and many private practices, Lux is just a big target so people like to pick on them.
    Rich R

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich R View Post
    You guys are getting really nit picky on these LC folks. But I am sure that when you guys started out, you guys knew EVERYTHING and were PERFECT from Day One, and NEVER made a mistake or said something incorrectly.

You're absolutely correct Matty, great job standing up for what is right, the optical profession has changed drastically over the years like a lot of other industries, there may be some great and some below mediocre opticians, I've seen both at Lux and many private practices, Lux is just a big target so people like to pick on them.
    Rich R
    Thanks, Lux is the largest optical employer in the country. If they decided tommorow to shut down shop every optician on this board would be n jepordy of losing their jobs, the competition out there would be so fierce for employment we would all be looking for work pumping gas cause ti pays better. As far as the level of optician in a Lux store....................................................... ............................I work for a Pearle Vision, anyone care to match wits? It amazes me the level of optician I see in independent stores, I have seen slovenly dressed, no knowledge having, slightly retarded looking people that like to pass themselves off for opticians. Lux got dummies, independetns got dummies move on and make your stores better and be glad that you are a level of optician above the rest, but never get cocky and never get complacent because these same people you laugh at have the same title that you do and when the public judges us they they judge us based on this optician you are all laughing at.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    the subject was "One of the secrets to Lenscrafters success"

there is one thing for sure , non of this chatter has anything to do with the subject title .

For anyone that cares about the subject title , the biggest secret to their success was and still is "entreprenurial visionaries" or " M.I. H." people .

Who can figure out what M.I.H. people are ? Are you one of them ?

Perhaps Jean-Luc Picard said it best .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
    It is not illegal because the actual rx appears on the order and receipt that the patient gets.

What you said was:
    "We couldn't enter it as written" If it's not written down correctly and still fabricated that way your in trouble. That was my only point!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Hello everyone,

I’m another LC employee and I came across this thread while doing research and thought I’d chime in.

We can do powers in .12 increments and I don't see why we would not be able to do them in .10 increments. Our system lets us put in values to the .01 decimal points. The laps that we use may not get us exact with Rx's written in .10, but we can get close to .12 increments. The issues that people may have had with employees not knowing that they could do Rx's like .62 is because we never come across that anymore. I have seen it a few times in the last few years and each time the sales person had no clue that it could be done. So, this is purely an experience issue with the retail staff, many of them are young people and to no fault of their own just don’t have much experience with nuances like this.

We can do exec bi and exec trifocals but are only able to get them in CR-39 and they do have to be surfaced out of store. Another LC employee on here said that he did D45, I did not know that we could do those, but don't doubt that person. Lux has dropped many types of lenses but we are still able to get some less common types sometimes. Typically if the patient wanted more reading we would put them in exec unless the Rx is too high for CR-39.

The other thing that I wanted to reply about is that sales people tack on higher prices for UV or something that comes standard in some lenses. From my experience (6 different locations), LensCrafters does not do this and if I see some one do this I would address it because I will not tolerate people being ripped off. I run an honest store. If I see something like a roll and polish being sold on a weak Rx, I have the employees refund the amount for a roll. Does misleading customers happen in other locations? I can't say I can only speak from what I have seen.

I have known of several shady independent and private doctor offices to intentionally prescribe cylinder even if the patient did not need it so that they can charge more on their exams and glasses. So one good benefit about LensCrafters is that patients are protected from crappy practices like this. Another is that they do provide training for many new upcoming opticians, you gotta get experience from somewhere and LensCrafters provides that. We can not compete with the wages that private offices pay for opticians so occasionally we do loose some for that.

LensCrafters does try hard and will do a lot for its customers, but of course they do have problems. Independent offices can provide a more customer centric experience and establish really long term clients. Over all, private opticians should not worry about them so much. If anything, LensCrafters has more to worry about with the rise of Costco and people being able to by glasses of the internet with no valid Rx for 20 bucks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No argument! But from my talking to my friends they all said their is no warranty on anything. And yes you can go out side their grid but you pay through the nose for it and you still don't get any warranty. Now unless my friends are just misleading me (which I don't believe) this is their story.
    Your friends aren't lying. Just before I left, Sears tossed their warranty out the window. I was using a bit of a general statement there, because I still do it now, as I said before. Our SV stock poly comes with a SRC, but with no warranty. I can, however, add a TD2, or a UT that same lens. Is this unethical? I think not. It's not as if they're getting nothing in return. They're getting a better coating, and the warranty that comes with. Where's the ethical problem there?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rep View Post
    a number of post in this thread that have only one intention. That is to denegrate and bash Luxottica in general and Lux retail in particular.

I guess I am missing the point where it is claimed to be unethical to charge for a coating or protection that is ACTUALLY provided. The fact that poly has these included has no bearing at all on the arguement.

Here, let me sell you this car. Here's the price.
    Oh, wait - you want TIRES, SEATS, and a STEERING WHEEL? Those are options that will cost you extra.

To use your own example. It's more accurately like buying a car and asking for better tires, or racing seats. Yes, the car will come with tires and seats, but you can be sure you can get better ones... and I don't see a problem with this! No one HAS to get these things. They're an option. If you want the option, you pay for it. If you don't, you don't. Where's the issue?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Your friends aren't lying. Just before I left, Sears tossed their warranty out the window. I was using a bit of a general statement there, because I still do it now, as I said before. Our SV stock poly comes with a SRC, but with no warranty. I can, however, add a TD2, or a UT that same lens. Is this unethical? I think not. It's not as if they're getting nothing in return. They're getting a better coating, and the warranty that comes with. Where's the ethical problem there?

To use your own example. It's more accurately like buying a car and asking for better tires, or racing seats. Yes, the car will come with tires and seats, but you can be sure you can get better ones... and I don't see a problem with this! No one HAS to get these things. They're an option. If you want the option, you pay for it. If you don't, you don't. Where's the issue?

I think AD brings up a good point. If you want the standard fare then hears
    the price. Now if you want a little better product with better features and benefits then as AD said you have to pay for it. If you want all the bells and whistles normally you have to pay. Why does everybody think we should give everything away? Try that with a car dealer they will laugh you right off the show room floor. As one old time optician told me when I asked him what was for sale he said: " everything, if they want to buy the table that I fit their glasses when they come in he said I'll sell it to them" I don't know how we got into the mentality that everything is free, it's mind blowing
    (to use an old 60's phrase).

Rising Star OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    They are not charging extra for UV and SRC on poly with Eyemed. I am sorry, but you are simply wrong. Our location housed Vps of the company along with people who worked on our Eyenet system, specifically related to Eyemed Insurance. It is impossible for them to tack on charges for SRC and UV on a Poly sale. Period. Sorry you find this hard to accept.
    You appear to be CRAZY about a lot more than than optics!!!!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    4 year old thread!

Occupation
    Hey tonyg, that's a really old thread. Btw, I'd like to point out that what Crazy said about how the lux system was set up was true back then. Way back then. I can't speak for it today as I haven't been there in years. Do us all a favor and don't resurrect a 4 year old thread to bash someone who was correct in what he/she said.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Hey tonyg, that's a really old thread. Btw, I'd like to point out that what Crazy said about how the lux system was set up was true back then. Way back then. I can't speak for it today as I haven't been there in years. Do us all a favor and don't resurrect a 4 year old thread to bash someone who was correct in what he/she said.
    Cheers! I admit to having a laugh re reading this thread even though this horse was beaten to death long before I hit the "reply" button. Never realized just how feisty I was back then. I will blame it on youth.

Hey "Tonyg" maybe I will change my name to "underwhelmed-by-optics" for you. Lesson of the day to you: check the date of a thread before you criticize some one you know nothing about.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Same old, same old. ;)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    Cheers! I admit to having a laugh re reading this thread even though this horse was beaten to death long before I hit the "reply" button. Never realized just how feisty I was back then. I will blame it on youth.
    Don't we all wish that a chain store trying to upsell a product was now our biggest concern!? Yeah...priorities sure do change with time.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder how many of the "experts" posting in that old thread are still in Optics.. Also wonder how many of them applied to LC for work since then..

The times.. they are a changin

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was wondering why anyone would drive to 4 different Lenscrafter locations just to get prices on something they never intend to purchase.
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Thread Information