Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: One of the secrets to Lenscrafters success

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

One of the secrets to Lenscrafters success

I went to Lenscrafters, posing as a customer,and they wanted to charge 15.00 additional for scratch resistence and an additional 15.00 for u.v. coating on polycarbonate lenses. When I questioned the "optician" I was told "that all of OUR polycarb lenses have scratch and u.v coatings".This scenario occured at 4 different Lenscrafters.
    In my opinion, charging extra for something that already exists is not only illegal but it is unethical. This WILL hurt our industry, because soon people will not look at us as professionals but will think of us as something akin to used car salesmen.
    Perhaps our state boards should start to look into this .

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    People already have. Any negative report of the industry that is constantly brought up is charging for UV on a poly lens. Consumers are beginning to know and are starting to feel robbed.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hmmm

Ok, not that I think you are lying but I just find this hard to believe. As a LC employee, I can tell you that in our system, Eyenet, we pick out material from a drop down list. Any options in addition to the material IE tint, UV(On Cr39), Roll and polish, Camo etc are in a separate list at the bottom that we must highlight and then click add to add the option on to the order. When we select Poly, a list of the lens features already included appears on the right of our screen. When poly is selected Impact Resistant, Scratch resistant coating and UV appear as features on this list. Because they are already included these (UV, SRC) do not appear in the options list for us to add on. Just like when we select Fwt Completes w/Scotchgaurd, A/R will not appear as an option for us to add on, as this lens already includes A/R.

Because of this, I myself, find it hard to believe that an employee would tell you they charge extra on top of the $50 "upgrade" from CR39 to Poly, for SRC and UV.

The only way to actually put a charge on a bill that is not included with the lens material is to do a Misc charge at the register.

So either the employee did not know what they were talking about, or they were confused. These are the only two possibilities if you are not lying :D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyemed

In each scenario I told them that I had Eyemed insurance. I was looking for the 50.00 lenses offered in the plan. I was then told that we only carry poly(a 40.00 co-pay) and that I would NEED uv and scratch coatingd at 30.00 additional.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I've had just about the same experience with them. I've also been told by LC sales people that my Rx cannot be made and that I should return to my doctor and get it corrected or see their OD.

Rx: R +0.62 sph
    L +0.62 -50 x 105

Add +2.25

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Unless . . .

Unless Eyemed has changed in the last 3 months, this is not correct. Any LC employee can tell you that EyeMed Auto Calcs most of our plans (About 98%). For a Poly lens EyeMed breaks it down by Basic lens, usually a $20 Copay, and then usually a $40 Copay for Poly. UV and SRC DO NOT come up on the Insurance breakdown. The insurance can only break down what the optician selects under material and then options. I will tell you it is IMPOSSIBLE to select a poly lens and try to "add on" UV and a SRC as it is included in the lens. Since we cannot select it, there is no way for Eyemed to access a charge for it. To change the breakdown, a Manager would need to enter their code to edit the Insurance breakdown. I HIGHLY doubt that a manager will come over and enter their code and just let an optican or FS add on a charge.

Either you or the employees are just simply confused, or the opticians do not know how EyeMed works. Any LC employee that knows anything about EyeMed knows that the UV and SRC Copays are included in the Copay for Poly.

I am not a bi fan of Lux, and left the company to work at an independent, but keep very part time to get my free pair :-) I have worked with them for around 5 years or so, on and off, and just find it hard to believe that what you are saying is true.

If you were to actually go thru with the sale, you would have found it impossible to be charged extra for UV and SRC.

But since you were just "Posing", you didn't.

Besides, I hardly think that UV sales are the secret to Lux's success. I am sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they are manufacturer, distributor, and retailer. Yep, must be all those UV Sales!!:hammer:
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I said it was ONE of the secrets to their success. Charging 30.00 and giving NOTHING in return will go along way to improving the bottom line.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I've had just about the same experience with them. I've also been told by LC sales people that my Rx cannot be made and that I should return to my doctor and get it corrected or see their OD.

L +0.62 -50 x 105

Add +2.25
    This is because they are trained to enter only increments of .25 either plus or minus. It is not that your lenses cannot be made, it is simply that Lux has chosen to accept the common practice of MDs and ODs writing Rx's in .25 increments. Crazy, Huh!??

Man, you guys have me on a defending Lux Day. Must be a cold day in Hell! LOL ;)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
    I said it was ONE of the secrets to their success. Charging 30.00 and giving NOTHING in return will go along way to improving the bottom line.
    They are not charging extra for UV and SRC on poly with Eyemed. I am sorry, but you are simply wrong. Our location housed Vps of the company along with people who worked on our Eyenet system, specifically related to Eyemed Insurance. It is impossible for them to tack on charges for SRC and UV on a Poly sale. Period. Sorry you find this hard to accept.
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 03-19-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Forgot to put Poly in there .. oops!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Were you there?

It was an attempt to up-sell to the scotch guard lenses. They were trying to show me that the 310.00 lenses were not that much more than the basic poly ar. And let me remind you it happened at 4 different locations.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sarcasm Mode=ON

L +0.62 -50 x 105

Add +2.25
    Jacqui, Jacqui, Jacqui....come on.
    We all know how hard that RX is. Give them a break would ya?
    ;)

Sarcasm Mode=OFF

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was an attempt to up-sell to the scotch guard lenses. They were trying to show me that the 310.00 lenses were not that much more than the basic poly ar. And let me remind you it happened at 4 different locations.
    You know what, why the hell didn't you mention that in your first post?

Go Re Read your first post. You made it sound like they were trying to sell you UV and SRC on a basic Poly lens.

Sounds like someone is trying to back peddle is you ask me.

Yes, Eyemed will assign a $30 charge for the scotchgaurd, as it it an extra coating that is not covered and falls under "other coating options" at a 20% discount.

Thanks for be so upfront and clear in your original post, I appreciate it! :hammer::hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

L +0.62 -50 x 105

Add +2.25
    I wonder if this a b/c of a lack of the appropriate tool?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I wonder if this a b/c of a lack of the appropriate tool?

Nah....I think the appropriate *TOOL* told her it couldn't be done!

I kid...I kid....and cry!

;):cheers::cheers::D

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let me dumb it down for you

The price quote was,

Basic lens 50.00
    Poly add on 40.00
    a/r 45.00
    uv 15.00
    scratch coat 15.00

total 165.00

They went on to say that they do not recommend this lens and that I should get the scotch guard premium lens for ONLY 310.00.

- 95.00 (insurance discount)

Basic poly ar = 165.00 no warrantee

or
    premium lens 215.00

that is ONLY 50.00 more

This is bait and switch. What part of it happened 4 times do you not understand.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is bait and switch. What part of it happened 4 times do you not understand.
    At least the price was consistent!
    Shouldve taken it!:bbg:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Mr mac is correct

I just did a shop at my local lenscrafters and also called 3 others and got the exact talking points. The quote for standard poly was 170 with an additional $15 dollars for a scratch coating. Not only is this fraudulent, it is unethical. In addition not one of their lenses have a manufactures warranty which comes with all lenses sold in our industry. Even the scotch guard protected lens doesnt have a warranty. at 310 for sv, this does give our industry a sleezy reputation. I also was told that the standard poly lens was not as safe as the scotch guard lens. i will next time get a written quote for all the doubters.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is because they are trained to enter only increments of .25 either plus or minus.
    These are "real" opticians. Not!!!:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

You know what, you're right, I must know absolutely nothing about a company for which I have worked 5 years at. :hammer:

Now, what these LC employees are telling you is that those are the copays for each individual item. Doesn't mean they were going to charge you for it, because IF YOU HAD ACTUALLY GONE THRU WITH THE SALE, as opposed to POSING AS A CUSTOMER, the employee would have seen they they MISQUOTED you. BUT YOU DIDN'T GO THRU WITH THE SALE BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT AN EYEMED MEMBER. They couldn't pull up specific benefits for you like they could a REAL EYEMED MEMBER. Like you said it was a QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously it is hard to add UV to a stock lens that has A/R with Scotchgaurd on it, isn't it.

And let me clarify something for DickR. LC is not scamming people. Their basic Poly lens Retails for 180. They have an ASPHERIC Poly lens that also has a harder scratch coat on it. They call it FWT PLUS, both have a SRC, the PLUS lens has a harder coating and is ASPHERIC. Thats why the FWT PLUS lens cost more 15-20 bucks. IT IS NOT A SCAM. Any optician with half a brain knows an aspheric lens is going to retail for more. What part of that do you not understand? What part of that is a scam???

And whoever told you that regular poly isn't as safe as Poly with scotchgaurd doesn't know what they are talking about. Its the same exact lens except one has a/r and scotchgaurd. The only thing I can think is that since one has A/R on it, and therefore lets in more light into the eye, it could be perceived as safer, esp at night.

Also, while I do not agree with Lux's warranty, 50% off, DickR, IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THEIR WARRANTY THEN DON'T BUY FROM THEM. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? LC does not put a gun to peoples head and force them to buy from them. Every individual can CHOOSE to go shop around. If they CHOOSE not to, and CHOOSE to buy at LC, than that is on them.

If you don't like a companies policy, then don't buy from them!

I hate it when people get misquoted then go run around Screaming: SCAM!!!!

I think I know a little more about a company and their own Insurance plan than you guys do. I mean, I only worked there for 5 years, how long have YOU guys worked for LC??????:hammer:

You were misquoted, and the other doesn't get that an aspheric lens with a harder scratch coat is going to cost more.

Get over yourselves. :D

Done with my rant for today.
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 03-19-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: got ****** off, went back to add more :-)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    These are "real" opticians. Not!!!:finger:

Honestly, how often do you get rx's that are not in increments of .25??

Just because an optician is incorrect in saying that the Rx can't be made, they should have said that LC won't make it.

Simple mistake. Does not mean he is a Fake optician.

You guys are getting really nit picky on these LC folks. But I am sure that when you guys started out, you guys knew EVERYTHING and were PERFECT from Day One, and NEVER made a mistake or said something incorrectly.

Kudos to you! :hammer:
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is because they are trained to enter only increments of .25 either plus or minus. It is not that your lenses cannot be made, it is simply that Lux has chosen to accept the common practice of MDs and ODs writing Rx's in .25 increments. Crazy, Huh!??
    Honestly, how often do you get rx's that are not in increments of .25??

Just because an optician is incorrect in saying that the Rx can't be made, they should have said that LC won't make it.

Simple mistake. Does not mean he is a Fake optician.

You guys are getting really nit picky on these LC folks. But I am sure that when you guys started out, you guys knew EVERYTHING and were PERFECT from Day One, and NEVER made a mistake or said something incorrectly.
    Your words, not mine. Emphisis on TRAINED!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So you are going to fault an employee because they have learned on a system that only accepts inputs in increments of .25, and you take issue because they do not know that a lens can be ground to any rx, even outside .25 increments.

If you don't like that they use Generally accepted methods to produce RX's, than don't buy from them.

If these opticians are beneath you because you are that much more educated and intelligent than them, then don't work with them.

If you want to belittle people because they are trained a certain way, then keep at it, I hope it makes you feel better about yourself.

It puzzles me that people like to b*tch and complain and moan about how the industry is going down the toilet, yet instead of actually saying to these people "Hey, I think I was misquoted in price because ..." OR "Hey, did you know that an RX CAN be made in .62 etc "" what you people are CHOOSING to do is belittle them instead of educate them.

In my opinion, this only speaks of your own intelligence.
    If all you want to do is nit pick, make fun of, and belittle, go right ahead.
    And you wonder why the industry is going down.

What a sad example this is to our profession, when people choose to nit pick, choose to find fault, then ***** and complain and belittle instead of educate those very people.

Do you think this is actually going to help the industry as a whole? People learn by making mistakes, being educated, then correcting their error.

No one is perfect, now go take a look in the mirror and say that out loud.
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling :(

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I went to Lenscrafters, posing as a customer,and they wanted to charge 15.00 additional for scratch resistence and an additional 15.00 for u.v. coating on polycarbonate lenses. When I questioned the "optician" I was told "that all of OUR polycarb lenses have scratch and u.v coatings".This scenario occured at 4 different Lenscrafters.
    In my opinion, charging extra for something that already exists is not only illegal but it is unethical. This WILL hurt our industry, because soon people will not look at us as professionals but will think of us as something akin to used car salesmen.
    Perhaps our state boards should start to look into this .

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for your state board to act. If their anything like NY they won't do a thing.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by pg. 14 Eyemed Providers Manual

Add-on pricing should not be used when the lens specialty product supplied is inclusive in the lens. If the product does not have a separate pricing add-on in the laboratory price list, an add-on price should not be charged. An example of an all-inclusive lens feature would be a standard polycarbonate lens, which contains a scratch resistant coating and UV inhibitor. Polycarbonate lenses cannot be supplied without these options and therefore these add-ons should not be priced separately to the patient.
    It's very clear what the policy is on charging for poly.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Harry . . . . .

GOD BLESS YOU, and THANK YOU.

I was beginning to want to pull out my hair by these ill informed, misquoted individuals.
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Thread Information