Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sears getting desperate??

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Sears getting desperate??

So today in the mail I received a Val-U-Pack. Normally I just toss it but I decided to skim the coupons in there. Guess what Sears is running . . .

50% prescription eyeglasses. Ok, nothing groundbreaking there, but it gets better, and a little desperate sounding, IMO . . .

60% off 2nd pair
    70% off 3rd pair
    80% off 4th pair

Talk about pushing multiple pairs!! Usual restrictions apply IE frame+lens purchase. Highest discount off of lowest priced pair etc. They will even allow different prescriptions. So basically, bring in the whole family, grandma, grandpa, Aunt Betty & Uncle Johnny, all 6 cousins . . Hell, bring in the kitchen sink as they'd sell the sink eyeglasses too! :D

Anyways, just made my head hurt looking at it. Thank God we have places like Sears that are now turning a medial device that used to take trained, educated professionals to measure and make into bargains that can be had for 80% off !!! And we wonder why the average consumer has no respect for opticians, od's etc. We are all money grubbing salespeople with such high markups that we can offer 80% off.

When will it end!!?? It scares me to think that one day 50% off eyeglasses will not be enough, and heavy discounting will be the norm.

Long live Lux!!

To quote Susan Powder . . . "STOP THE INSANITY!!" :hammer:
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 06-05-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crazy:
    Always Capitalize God!

Even if you don't have one.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    So today in the mail I received a Val-U-Pack. Normally I just toss it but I decided to skim the coupons in there. Guess what Sears is running . . .

50% prescription eyeglasses. Ok, nothing groundbreaking there, but it gets better, and a little desperate sounding, IMO . . .

60% off 2nd pair
    70% off 3rd pair
    80% off 4th pair

Talk about pushing multiple pairs!! Usual restrictions apply IE frame+lens purchase. Highest discount off of lowest priced pair etc. They will even allow different prescriptions. So basically, bring in the whole family, grandma, grandpa, Aunt Betty & Uncle Johnny, all 6 cousins . . Hell, bring in the kitchen sink as they'd sell the sink eyeglasses too! :D

Anyways, just made my head hurt looking at it. Thank god we have places like Sears that are now turning a medial device that used to take trained, educated professionals to measure and make into bargains that can be had for 80% off !!! And we wonder why the average consumer has no respect for opticians, od's etc. We are all money grubbing salespeople with such high markups that we can offer 80% off.

When will it end!!?? It scares me to think that one day 50% off eyeglasses will not be enough, and heavy discounting will be the norm.

Long live Lux!!

~Matt

I guess they figure they can make enough off the first two to off set the last two. Go figure! :hammer:

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Crazy:
    Always Capitalize God!

There is one exception to Chips rule. If you are referring to an eyecare professional with superiority complex, you can refer to it as the god complex- lower case g is acceptable in that regard. How do I know this?? It's my rule, made up in another thread just this week.You will find it on this page.......http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...t=28134&page=3......

Chip is correct though, in all other references to God, the G in Capitals is the way to go! :):)
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    desperate doesnt even scrape the surface, 50%,60%,70%,80%
    $89 eyeglasses with frames up to $120 including lenses
    $129 glasses w/ vision ease "smart tint" that was recalled for delamination
    and every other combination of sales you can think of. Because meeting a "patients" needs is based upon how many pairs of glasses you sell them. :hammer:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    There are other spiritual traditions where it is considered sacrilegious to utter or write the G or g word. Everyone to his own belief system. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on me.

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Crazy:
    Always Capitalize God!

In a country founded on Christianity, and certain individuals wanting those of us who still believe and remember our roots to not dare utter the word
    God, take our Pledge out of the schools and I can't tell you how many
    traditions our children have to stop because it might offend someone that
    doesn't believe in our customs in "our own country". I fully take heart
    that someone like you has the guts to stick up for God.

Yes maybe if we all thanked God each day for all our friendships and blessings there would be no time to bellyache and critisise.

I will step down off the box now. :o

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rragland View Post
    desperate doesnt even scrape the surface, 50%,60%,70%,80%
    $89 eyeglasses with frames up to $120 including lenses
    $129 glasses w/ vision ease "smart tint" that was recalled for delamination
    and every other combination of sales you can think of. Because meeting a "patients" needs is based upon how many pairs of glasses you sell them. :hammer:

You got that right. Selling two pairs is not meeting their need selling four pairs is meeting their need. It's the new economic model thats being displayed in optical establishments through out the nation. Bring on the four pair,five and six pair, tally ho!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I recieved the same add in my Val U pack. My first thought was wow their prices must be way too high. I assume they only buy closeout frames and tripple their markup on lenses. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulane View Post
    I recieved the same add in my Val U pack. My first thought was wow their prices must be way too high. I assume they only buy closeout frames and tripple their markup on lenses. :hammer:

Actually I believe it's the other way they triple their frames!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    There are other spiritual traditions where it is considered sacrilegious to utter or write the G or g word. Everyone to his own belief system. Just don't try to impose your beliefs on me.
    I think Chip's was a semantic argument, not a religious one. Happy Good Friday to you all.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

I don't think Chip was trying to do that. But you are right every one has belief. I once heard a sermon by a pastor who said every body serves some body and every body bows to a god. It just depends which god your bowing too. He said you can tell who your god is by just looking where you spend most of your money and time. If you spend your time working and looking at sports cars more than likely that is your god, so on and so forth. Now my GOD is spelled in all capitals because he is the one an true Jehovah GOD. End of sermon. :bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post

60% off 2nd pair
    70% off 3rd pair
    80% off 4th pair

Anyways, just made my head hurt looking at it. Thank god we have places like Sears that are now turning a medial device that used to take trained, educated professionals to measure and make into bargains that can be had for 80% off !!! And we wonder why the average consumer has no respect for opticians, od's etc. We are all money grubbing salespeople with such high markups that we can offer 80% off.

Long live Lux!!

~Matt
    Don't get too upset over Sears 50% off sale. As a former employee, I remember when I first started and we were having the $99 complete pair sale. What a great value. Then my manager informed me that sears has never charged full retail prices. They only have them to bill insurance companies. After 2 years I realized that was true. These "promotions are in place to drive traffic into the store". To quote my former regional, "We realize we are working in a declining host [Sears]." Why else would anyone go into a sears optical? They alternate between $99 sale, 50% off, $200 off. In reality who really would pay $800 for a poly ovation in a discontinued frame from lenscrafters? The customers seem to be blind to this notion though.

Oh but your dead on, if you kitchen sink came in the store they would "uncover a need" for at least 2 pairs. :\

Whipping boy for Sears Optical :shiner:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I guess you don't need GULEC anymore with prices like these.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocular Dexter View Post
    I guess you don't need GULEC anymore with prices like these.

Gu what?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Gu what?
    GULEC: previous selling method at sears optical. Greet, Uncover, Listen, Educate, Close.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    GULEC: previous selling method at sears optical. Greet, Uncover, Listen, Educate, Close.

Don't we normally do all of the above? ;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You know, a shoe salesman used to be an "expert" who had to measure and fit you. We've found out that's not necessary. I run long distances, and I don't need anyone to measure my foot. Running shoes have improved technologically to the point that a simple understanding of your arch, width, and stride enables you to buy "the perfect shoe" without help.
    Where the shoe salesperson comes in is in telling me about the latest technology and styles, and how both will benefit me.
    A two or three for one deal doesn't diminish the salesperson's expertise in my eyes.
    It's now the same with glasses. The non-lab optician's job is to make sure the customer is happy, period. Using pupillometers and specifying OC's is one way we can do this, but frankly that's easy. We also need to be able to understand how a lens, given the Rx, will look in a frame...but that's also easy, just find the meridian of highest power. You can learn all of that and how to find a good-looking frame for someone in two weeks.
    Glasses are a retail item now, and if you want to complain that they're medical, consider that aspirin, knee-wraps, and cold-remedies are also "medical" and yet not dispensed by a "pro."
    I personally think it's great when anyone in our industry finds a way to provide more value to a customer. For the low-end, that means cheap glasses, for others it may mean the sturdiest materials or the latest fashion.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea From one "Glasses Salesperson" to another...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    Where the shoe salesperson comes in is in telling me about the latest technology and styles, and how both will benefit me.
    A two or three for one deal doesn't diminish the salesperson's expertise in my eyes.
    It's now the same with glasses. The non-lab optician's job is to make sure the customer is happy, period. Using pupillometers and specifying OC's is one way we can do this, but frankly that's easy. We also need to be able to understand how a lens, given the Rx, will look in a frame...but that's also easy, just find the meridian of highest power. You can learn all of that and how to find a good-looking frame for someone in two weeks.
    Wow, sad to think of all the time and money I wasted getting an A.A.S. in Opticianry. I wish I knew I was going to end up as a glorified "shoe salesman". Paul E. Carbonate, maybe you should let the ABO, OAA, NAO, and all the state regulatory boards in on this so they can go ahead and dissolve and deregulate. You might want to change your title up there from "Dispensing Optician" to "Glasses Salesperson".:hammer:

I don't mean to sound like an a**, just a little disillusioned.
    Last edited by bender; 03-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

welllllllll..........

unfortunately this is a close association but cannot be validated. Unless you are in orthotics, you do not need to interpret ones arch and width of toes, contraindications to materials and refraction of their toenails. Selling shoes requires minimal knowledge of the FIT of the shoe not how well it is FILLED according to the rx that was brought in. Yes opticians are on the front line and need to be able to sell just like a shoe salesmen unfortunately, but you also must know what you are filling and know when to tell the patient NO your -12.00-5.75x74 lens in a 68 ED is not gonna be in your best interest bc of abberation, prism, distrortion, lens blank problems, decentration issues, about a 10 mm ET and it will probably be biconcave. Im sure a shoe salesmen doesnt need to know how the metatarsals and ligaments are realigned in a higharch/low arch shoe to relieve joint and fluid compression from running. :hammer
    Unfortunately for me, i know too much about optics to be a blind optical salesman believing what these companies want me to be.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bender View Post
    Wow, sad to think of all the time and money I wasted getting an A.A.S. in Opticianry. I wish I knew I was going to end up as a glorified "shoe salesman". Paul E. Carbonate, maybe you should let the ABO, OAA, NAO, and all the state regulatory boards in on this so they can go ahead and dissolve and deregulate. You might want to change your title up there from "Dispensing Optician" to "Glasses Salesperson".:hammer:

I don't mean to sound like an a**, just a little disillusioned.

Bender you hit it on the head. Polycarb is a little disillusioned he thinks he's an optician where as in real life he is just that a glorified shoe salesman. ( I mean no disrespect too the true shoe salesmen ) WOW Poly you went over board on this one. :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sears started amping up their different monthly sales just before I left. You'd have common ones like Two for One, 40% off a single pair... but then they started to adapt more and more LC ideas, and multiples became their main target area. That's where the 40% 50% 60% (which is what it is in Canada) sale came into play. They'd every so often run their $148 ($99 in the US) sale, but that wasn't that popular after the first time they had it... man was that a crazy month. Any frame up to $200, SV, FT or PAL (Natural or Compact) all for $148. Crazybananas. Then they changed it completely and it just wasn't a good sale anymore lol. As for them getting desperate... I wouldn't say any more than any of the other Brands.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have a friend who manages a Sears Optical and she told me that her regional wants her to go out in the Sears store and stand in the middle of the isle and ask people "when was the last time you had your eyes examined" and get them to come into the optical. If that is not desperate I don't know what is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocular Dexter View Post
    I have a friend who manages a Sears Optical and she told me that her regional wants her to go out in the Sears store and stand in the middle of the isle and ask people "when was the last time you had your eyes examined" and get them to come into the optical. If that is not desperate I don't know what is.

The people I know there called me to say that is true because from what they have been told Sears does not want to advertise but wants it's managers and associates to generate traffic flow into the store from the isles and byways. Now if that works LC could save millions on their advertising, just send all your LCrafterettes out into the malls asking: "when was the last time you had your eyes examined" give out a little coupon and you've captured another one for LC. I can see this going national saving LC millions in advertising and just costing them pennies on the dollar to just send their LCrafterettes into the mall. WOW isn't America great.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    They are also trying to strong arm the Dr to increase his hrs even though his business has steadly declined over the years.

Thread Information