Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Sears getting desperate??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    I did what needed to be done, and ignored everything else. If I had time, I'd call the store manager to ME and talk, not the other way around. I never went out in the store to grab people, even though I was told I should. I guess I was a bit lucky I got out before they implimented the changing hours. We got our hours at the beginning of the week and thats what they were. Luckily I was so far away from my RM that we only saw him 2-3 times a year, so I could get away with not doing all that stupid crap. I feel sorry for those who he was local to.

From what they have been telling me it's really becoming cutthroat with cutting hours and the paper work is mountainous even though they have computers they can't do half of what they want to do because the computers are not programed to do it. Really crazy! ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last bit is no surprise. I had a ton of paperwork as well. And it was PAPERwork. The computers were for px info, ordering glasses and entering hours, that's it. The paperwork was super redundant too. Three different forums to say the same thing. I ended up only doing half of it if I'm to be honest. I got the number they wanted, just not the way they wanted me to do it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last bit is no surprise. I had a ton of paperwork as well. And it was PAPERwork. The computers were for px info, ordering glasses and entering hours, that's it. The paperwork was super redundant too. Three different forums to say the same thing. I ended up only doing half of it if I'm to be honest. I got the number they wanted, just not the way they wanted me to do it.

Apparently from what their telling me is that their suppose to get a new computer system I believe they said it's the same one LC uses but don't quote me on that. Suppose to relieve their paper work but they don't believe it. They said the amount of paper work that LC regionals want ( and thats what most are because they let go 60% of the Sears RM's) is double what Sears old RM's wanted.

just my take

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyenet, yes. I was told by my RM that we were going to be getting it. I quit 8 months ago, and still no computers. I wouldn't hold your breath.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't want to dredge up the worst of this thread, but I feel I've been misunderstood and therefore wish to make the record clear.
    First off, I have the utmost respect for the real opticians who learned to do things the hard way. I would give anything to be able to learn what they've learned, but unfortunately the equipment and the materials in use today preclude that from happening.
    If I have an optical "hero" that I wish I could be like as far as skills go, it would be Chris Ryser.
    I'll never have his skills, though, because they're no longer taught and no longer cost-effective.
    I am not happy that our industry has become what it is. I merely state the truth as I see it.
    I have loads of friends, and most of them aren't opticians.
    I date women...Some of you guys on here should try that now and then, changes your outlook on opticianry.
    I go to this board to learn a few things here and there and to tell the truth when a bunch of whiners are demanding respect their level of education hasn't gotten them. I am NOT here to make friends. I have enough, thanks.
    And Ryser's still gonna die before I do, so eventually it won't matter if I'm right. I'll be alive.

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    I don't want to dredge up the worst of this thread, but I feel I've been misunderstood and therefore wish to make the record clear.
    First off, I have the utmost respect for the real opticians who learned to do things the hard way. I would give anything to be able to learn what they've learned, but unfortunately the equipment and the materials in use today preclude that from happening.
    If I have an optical "hero" that I wish I could be like as far as skills go, it would be Chris Ryser.
    I'll never have his skills, though, because they're no longer taught and no longer cost-effective.
    I am not happy that our industry has become what it is. I merely state the truth as I see it.
    I have loads of friends, and most of them aren't opticians.
    I date women...Some of you guys on here should try that now and then, changes your outlook on opticianry.
    I go to this board to learn a few things here and there and to tell the truth when a bunch of whiners are demanding respect their level of education hasn't gotten them. I am NOT here to make friends. I have enough, thanks.
    And Ryser's still gonna die before I do, so eventually it won't matter if I'm right. I'll be alive.

Paul E,

let me restate your position as I understand it. please correct me if I'm wrong. Why be an Optician who gains skills and knowledge for a public that doesn't care, when you can be a stellar salesman make the most money you can with what little knowledge you possess.

There was another poster who had a similar opinion his last post was that he was on his way to buy a BMW. It is posters like yourself who are bringing the profession down a notch. No one here begrudges you your financial success but because you don't see the benefits of a skill set, because you don't wish for Opticianary to be a profession not a job, you become the lowest common denominator as viewed by the public a salesman pushing a commodity that I can just as easily buy on the internet.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Polycarb said
    I am NOT here to make friends. I have enough, thanks.
    And Ryser's still gonna die before I do, so eventually it won't matter if I'm right. I'll be alive.[/quote]

Now what the He_l is this all about? ( I'll be alive) You are not a little misunderstood your just a really disturbed person. WOW! UNBELIEVABLE! :hammer:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Eyenet, yes. I was told by my RM that we were going to be getting it. I quit 8 months ago, and still no computers. I wouldn't hold your breath.
    Hopefully, I'll hate Eyenet less than I hate RIS. Eyenet won't decrease my paperwork, unfortunately. But, I'm already at the point where I do whatever paperwork I have time for and I don't worry about the rest.

RIS crashed on me twice today. I just hope Eyenet is "all that," like everyone's been saying it is.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper And Ryser's still gonna die before I do..........................

That is not guaranteed...........however if it does happen, there will be somebody else to keep you in check everytime you foam over.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Paul E,

let me restate your position as I understand it. please correct me if I'm wrong. Why be an Optician who gains skills and knowledge for a public that doesn't care, when you can be a stellar salesman make the most money you can with what little knowledge you possess.

There was another poster who had a similar opinion his last post was that he was on his way to buy a BMW. It is posters like yourself who are bringing the profession down a notch. No one here begrudges you your financial success but because you don't see the benefits of a skill set, because you don't wish for Opticianary to be a profession not a job, you become the lowest common denominator as viewed by the public a salesman pushing a commodity that I can just as easily buy on the internet.

As you put it: "there was another poster who had a similar opinion" maybe as others have said he is the other poster. From my understanding the other poster was kicked off the board. Now if POLYCARB is that same person makes it interesting why he would come back. Is it just to bash us on the board who are trying to bring our profession up instead of down like POLY does. It just shows POLY true colors. His in it for the money and nothing else.

But your last quote says best: "He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, still dead"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dorry View Post
    Hopefully, I'll hate Eyenet less than I hate RIS. Eyenet won't decrease my paperwork, unfortunately. But, I'm already at the point where I do whatever paperwork I have time for and I don't worry about the rest.

RIS crashed on me twice today. I just hope Eyenet is "all that," like everyone's been saying it is.

From what my friends tell me over there it's not what it's cracked up to be. They tell me you have to input the info with the patient sitting there and you can't leave and take care of someone else you must finish with the patient then 15 minutes later if the patient is still there help them. Sounds like a great system.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some People Grow Up,

And Some People Just Grow Old....

Yep. thats what my grandpop alway's told us..

Poly, Chris is growing up,Your Growing old, as in same old bashing everone else, how very, very sad...

Im sorry for the way Sears is treating there Opticians, It sounds like they have some very good ones working for them, and they don't even know it. There loss,

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Paul E dates?

The only women that would go out with a miserable mutt like Paul E are inflatable.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by k12311997 View Post
    Paul E,

That's who I thought he sounded like too.
    If he bothered to read any of Myra's posts he would not have been attacking her like some fool with foot A in mouth B. I'd like to see him go to Vietnam and other forsaken places and do the work she does!:angry:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First: I don't thing you have a clue what truth is. Now that being said the few things you do pick up are mostly from us old timers.

Second: I wouldn't say my education got me everything but it did give me a start. The old timers who mentored me were the real teachers.

Third:" I am not here to make friends " Well you got that one right. I don't think you have any on this board. If your anything in real life as you are on this board your friends are just as narrow minded as you are.

Fourth: :hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    From what my friends tell me over there it's not what it's cracked up to be. They tell me you have to input the info with the patient sitting there and you can't leave and take care of someone else you must finish with the patient then 15 minutes later if the patient is still there help them. Sounds like a great system.
    Eyenet is better that Ris, I can promise you that..Not having to call every time to authorize an insurance and not having to fill out tons of paperwork will ultimately save time. NO more of those brown envelopes that disappear faster than you can file them. As far as cut hours, I feel your pain. I briefly worked for a company called Vista Optical and we were located in a grocery store. They would have us go out and offer to clean glasses and practically beg people to come in. The product was cruddy, lab work was sloppy and they quickly folded up shop. My experience tells me that when you have to wear a sandwich board to get customers thru the door, the days are numbered. I am one of those 30 hour lux employees who is having a tough time because of the cuts and hope the best for you.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Lux is hurting............................

Quote Originally Posted by mwoodchip View Post
    I am one of those 30 hour lux employees who is having a tough time because of the cuts and hope the best for you.
    Any down turn in economy will affect everybody..............and Lux is also hurting..........................only a lot more.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Unfortunately it's the employees that feel the brunt of that.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Canada get pneumonia.............................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Unfortunately it's the employees that feel the brunt of that.
    ............and don't forget that when the USA gets a cold Canada get pneumonia shortly afterwords.

When I started the thread about the US dollar crashing I was called crazy last fall............and now they are there and the prognostic are for much worse.

Therefore for the optician should adjust to repair old frames, have inexpensive frames handy, sell basic lenses and upgrade to UV, scratch resistant and tints available to accommodated the ones who want to spend a little more.

Bur do not start selling from the top.....expensive ARs .........or you get a reputation as a pusher of highly expensive items. People without a job and or big debts prefer to get something offered they can afford.

The high end stores that do not adapt will be the first to suffer.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 04-11-2008 at 07:14 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Well, this is a fine pickle

My associate called me yesterday to let me know he would not be coming back since his hours keep getting cut. When he was hired, my RM assured him he'd have 30 hours a week.

I guess a Lux week is equivalant to 4 Earth weeks, since lately my guy has only been able to work 8 to 10 hours weekly due to payroll hours, which are due to slow sales, which are due to lack of adequate help to keep the office open while I wear the "sandwich board" and try to drum up business, which drives business away since there's no one to help customers because the office is closed, which . . . it's just a vicious circle that has no break in it.

Called my RM and he told me to hire 2 part-timers for 3 to 4 hours a week, each. Nobody I've talked to this morning wants to work only a few hours a week for slightly above minimum wage. It's so laughable the way Lux runs its business.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My associate called me yesterday to let me know he would not be coming back since his hours keep getting cut. When he was hired, my RM assured him he'd have 30 hours a week.

I guess a Lux week is equivalant to 4 Earth weeks, since lately my guy has only been able to work 8 to 10 hours weekly due to payroll hours, which are due to slow sales, which are due to lack of adequate help to keep the office open while I wear the "sandwich board" and try to drum up business, which drives business away since there's no one to help customers because the office is closed, which . . . it's just a vicious circle that has no break in it.

Called my RM and he told me to hire 2 part-timers for 3 to 4 hours a week, each. Nobody I've talked to this morning wants to work only a few hours a week for slightly above minimum wage. It's so laughable the way Lux runs its business.

From the people I know at Sears they say it's the same way. They said when LUX took over they let go over 60% of the original Sears RM's and replaced them with LUX RM's. So what do they bring to the table " The Lux way of doing things hire 2 p/Timers and offer them 3 to 4 hours of work. Now like that is going to happen people only want 3 to 4 hours.

Your first part was exactly the same thing they have been telling me about Sears. They want them to wear the "sandwich board" but when people come in their is nobody their to take care of them because the guys wearing the "sandwich board" can't be in two places at the sametime. Their's an old axiom that says " you need to spent money to make money" and I might add "you need employees to make money and without employees you loose money". They run their business just like most DOC's who scrimp and scrounge to save a penny and then watch as the real dollars flow out the door because they don't want to hire someone who has the skills because their afraid they may have to pay them.

just my take

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Making plan is the top priority, says my RM at the region's recent OM meeting. Do whatever it takes to make plan, your jobs may depend on making plan, anyone who doesn't make plan will be in jeopardy of losing their job.

I know a business needs to make money, but my office (and many others in the region) usually makes close to the elusive "plan" but we rarely reach our out-of-reach goal. I know the figures are based on last year's sales with a percentage increase, but there's no leeway for slow national economy, local economic changes, buyer awareness of cheaper places to go for glasses, and, last but not least, cheap and sloppy lab work requiring remakes and refunds.

Ugghhh.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Making plan is the top priority, says my RM at the region's recent OM meeting. Do whatever it takes to make plan, your jobs may depend on making plan, anyone who doesn't make plan will be in jeopardy of losing their job.

I know a business needs to make money, but my office (and many others in the region) usually makes close to the elusive "plan" but we rarely reach our out-of-reach goal. I know the figures are based on last year's sales with a percentage increase, but there's no leeway for slow national economy, local economic changes, buyer awareness of cheaper places to go for glasses, and, last but not least, cheap and sloppy lab work requiring remakes and refunds.

Ugghhh.

I have heard all the same comments from people I know who work there. They find it very difficult to work with the pressure of possible loosing their job.
    Last edited by jediron1; 04-18-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocular Dexter View Post
    I have a friend who manages a Sears Optical and she told me that her regional wants her to go out in the Sears store and stand in the middle of the isle and ask people "when was the last time you had your eyes examined" and get them to come into the optical. If that is not desperate I don't know what is.

I talked to some Sears employees who tell me their is a rumor going around in NY that Empire Vision is closing stores faster then the recession. Any one else hear anything?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ugghhh.
    Your RM sounds like my RM. Maybe Lux clones them? That would explain a lot.

As of last fall in my Lux brand, plan was last years total plus 20%. It was unreachable most of the time, which was probably the idea. Not hitting plan means lower commissions, lower manager bonuses and fewer payroll hours used. It was genius, from an evil -multinational -corporation- filled- with- asshats point of view.

Thread Information