Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoyalux FD

Hi Win C,

5 out of 10 is 50% of your patients having issues with FD. That is a very high percentage. I find it that when i have problems with patients adapting to new lens designs, first thing i do is check the measurements on the patients previous pair of frames. this will allow you to know what your patient has previously acustomed to.

In most cases labs have very high quality control procedures and would not allow 5 out of 10 over or under corrected lens pass QC.

panto tilt and "bow" of the frame are very important factors to take into account when a patient is complaining about blurred vision in the distance.

"And when I ask the patient to tilt his head down until he thinks the distance vision is clear, it's about 3 mm (sometimes more) above the fitting cross."

this tells me that the prescription is correct on the lens(3mm above the fitting cross would be the distance prescription checking zone meaning full distance rx would be measured on the vert here). When your patient tilts his head down he/she is essentially creating a tilt on the lense and his/her eyeball rotating upwards. This is a simulation of panto tilt.

I have had great feed back regarding the FD. Patients love this new pal design. I havent had any problems with it at all!

tell me what you think?

cheers

Comment

I remember I had one pair in which the patient had to see 5mm above the fitting cross in order to see clearly. I sent the job back for remake and when it comes back, the patient can see clearly without having to tilt his head down. so....:hammer:

this same patient was wearing shamir Genesis and he told me that the FD is not as good as the Genesis in terms of peripheral vision. Bear in mind the prescription is the same in both the FD and the genesis.

i also had few of my patients telling me peripheral vision is not fantastic

the good thing about the FD from the feedback of my patients is that the reading and intermediate is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Win C View Post
        i also had few of my patients telling me peripheral vision is not fantastic

the good thing about the FD from the feedback of my patients is that the reading and intermediate is good.
        Let's back to basic, peripheral vision virtually blur, reading and "intermediate" good, sounds like Soft design then.

Could you let us know the RX as well from that couple of pairs that been complaint distance vision restrict or something. thanks

Comment

Height

Genesis as a fixed and long corridor. But FD as two diferent corridor lenght. Could it be that you have fitted the short one on FD?

Cause if so, Your patient will be comparing two distincte designs and adaptation time is required.

Did the company replied you about the return FD? Did they verify the FD?

Comment

Originally posted by tktien View Post
            Let's back to basic, peripheral vision virtually blur, reading and "intermediate" good, sounds like Soft design then.

Could you let us know the RX as well from that couple of pairs that been complaint distance vision restrict or something. thanks
            I got those complaints from RX that range from plano to myope of -6.00.

The most recent complain is from a myope of about -6 in one eye and -5 in the other.

Comment

Originally posted by alberto_correia View Post
              Genesis as a fixed and long corridor. But FD as two diferent corridor lenght. Could it be that you have fitted the short one on FD?

Cause if so, Your patient will be comparing two distincte designs and adaptation time is required.

Did the company replied you about the return FD? Did they verify the FD?
              Funny thing is, the hoya rep told me that patients will benefit more from the short corridor design than the long one. I think i got more complaints for the short design than the long one.

THey did not tell me what is wrong with the returned FD. So I am not sure what's wrong too.

Comment

Recently fitted a pair of Hoya FD1.6 short corridor design. When patient put on his new prescription, he complained that the distance vision is not clear when looking straight ahead. no problem with near vision. he mentioned that distance vision is clearer if he tilts his head down.
                That's due to the progressive design i.e., soft, short, and wider than average intermediate. The Summit CD has all of these qualities, resulting in a lens that might be ideal for someone who has an Add over +1.75, performs extended periods of close tasks, desk work, and/or uses a monitor but will not accept separate task specific/computer glasses. The trade off is the poor/narrow distance perpheral vision, and (depending on pupil diameter, Add power, and patient sensitivity/history) soft on-axis distance acuity, the latter improving significantly after ten to twenty days of neural adaptation.

So far I would say I am not quite happy with FD as I get s few similar problems too with this lens in the past.
                The FD 11mm corridor (iD Lifestyle CD) appears to share the same basic progressive design as the Summit CD. IMO, the optical enhancements available with Hoya's (and others) free-form process will usually be masked by the poor off-axis optics of the short corridor PAL.
                Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Comment

We have dispensed quite a few Hoyalux FDs , although mostly in the longer corridor design, and we have had very good success with them.(For a while the FD tended to be our lens of first choice, but we now tend to use the Nikon Seewide series).The few "failures" were however, with the short corridor when fitted into a shallow frame, but it was mostly reading which was problematic, rather than distance vision, or peripheral blur.

I've been wearing the a 1.6 Hoyalux iD with SFT, for the past two years, and I think it is fantastic.If there's a better lens available,it would have to be something special. I'm low plus with a +0.75Add, and its almost like wearing single vision lenses. Apart from the potential for variable near inset with the iD, does anyone know what the differences, if any there are between the iD and FD designs? No one at Hoya has been able to adequately explain it to me. I need to up my Add soon, and I don't want to put myself into an inferior product. There is a substantial difference in the price between the two lens types. We've had NO failures with the iD, but because of price, we haven't been able to put that many people into it.

Comment

Originally posted by iiiiisoptom View Post

I've been wearing the 1.6 Hoyalux iD with SFT, for the past two years, and I think it is fantastic. If there's a better lens available, it would have to be something special. I'm low plus with a +0.75 add, and its almost like wearing single vision lenses.
                    I would think any lens with a +0.75 add would be almost like a single vision lens. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Happylady View Post
                      I would think any lens with a +0.75 add would be almost like a single vision lens. :)
                      Haha...I agree with you, especially with such low add.

I have continued to fit the FD for the sole reason that it's "quite cheap" here in singapore. My rep has been telling me that his feedback from other opticians is that FD is a very good lens with very few complains. On the contrary, I have complain like 50% to 70% of the time with FD from my customers.

The most recent one is a patient who used to wear Sola XL transitions and then I switched him over to FD suntech. He complained that distance peripheral vision is "restricted" and not as "natural" as compared to his XL. Prescription is the same in both.

Other complaints I get is the distance is not very clear and they have to lower their head a bit in order to see clearly. I got this problem quite frequently when I fit the FD. However, after a remake, the problem went away (at least for 80% of the time). I guess this is as good as telling me that there is really some problem with the lens when customers complain.

I almost never get any complain for near.

Comment

Haha...I agree with you, especially with such low add.

I have continued to fit the FD for the sole reason that it's "quite cheap" here in singapore. My rep has been telling me that his feedback from other opticians is that FD is a very good lens with very few complains. On the contrary, I have complain like 50% to 70% of the time with FD from my customers.

The most recent one is a patient who used to wear Sola XL transitions and then I switched him over to FD suntech. He complained that distance peripheral vision is "restricted" and not as "natural" as compared to his XL. Prescription is the same in both.

A little bit of update regarding this patient.

Hoya lab remade 1 pair but same problem still exist. THe lab was trying to find out what the problem is but I think they gave up.

In the end, they decided to refit this patient into a Hoya Summit Pro 1.5 Transitions. When he came to collect his glasses, he mentioned that it's much better than previous pair (hoya FD/ id lifestyle) in terms of peripheral vision.

My hoya rep likes to put the blame on the customers, always telling me that there must be some problem with the customers when they can't adapt. This customer is fine after changing lens design. THe funny thing is , I am getting more non adapts/complaints with Hoya FD than summit pro/ GP/ GP wide and Hoya FD is supposed to be a better/ more advance design than summit pro.

I have since given up on Hoya FD. I am now fitting Seiko back surface progressives (in replacement of hoya FD) with a lot more success.

Comment

Originally posted by Happylady View Post
                          I'm now wearing a +1.00 Add in the Hoyalux iD, and it's still virtually like a single vision lens :)

Comment

Lifestyle probs

Funny thing is, the hoya rep told me that patients will benefit more from the short corridor design than the long one. I think i got more complaints for the short design than the long one.

THey did not tell me what is wrong with the returned FD. So I am not sure what's wrong too.

same probs here normally fit physio, with id hoya rep said fit the short corridor always and fit it 2-3mm below pupil centre.

most of our pxs wanted to lower there head even though panto tilt was good and fit excellent. was tild by rep the add comes in very quick and to fit low.personally not confident with the lens anymore, gone back yo physios

Comment

I think I have asked this before but not sure where.

I found that for most hoya progressive lens, power prescribed is not attained at the fitting cross but 1 or 2 mm above it (the standard position where u are supposed to measure the dist power.

I have stopped prescribing Hoya FD precisely because of this problem. A lot of my patients seems to find their dist a bit blurry (about -0.25 less than prescribed)

So I would like to know for most progressive, are power prescribed supposed to be at fitting cross and not some dist above the fitting cross?

Comment

Originally posted by iiiiisoptom View Post
                                I'm now wearing a +1.00 Add in the Hoyalux iD, and it's still virtually like a single vision lens :)
                                Try it in a +2.00 or stronger add and come back and talk to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X