Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rimless grief

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Unhappy rimless grief

Customer bought a rimless frame with 1.6 transitions in July last year, at xmas I saw him in toys r us , his lenses were a bit loose the nuts needed tightening so I told him to pop in for me to check it all
    he came in today with one lens entirely broke and the other chipped saying it happened while he was cleaning them
    1.6 are pretty tough however do you think he might be telling the truth?
    thanks!
    Alan

ps I forgot to mention he was in toys r us with a small child (bless their hearts dont they love mummy and daddys specs!)
    Last edited by apaul; 03-11-2008 at 07:00 PM. Reason: ps

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In a word, no. It's the same old story much like "they were like that when I woke up in the morning" or "I took them out of the case and they were cracked" or "they just broke while I was wearing them". Really? I had a mom bring her son's frames in the day after he picked them up saying "they just broke in his hand". I said "well I knew that was going to happen when I saw him cranking on them outside the door last night. If he's going to do that they are going to break". She didn't say anything and paid for the repair.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had one a while back where the daughter brought mums glasses in broke she said they were sat on while they where left on a bed so I said one lens would need relplacing and i would have to charge she left it and went away
    A few days later mum came in with a different story saying while she was driving the lens fell out and got damaged
    Needless to say I believed the daughters version!
    Alan

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Big Smile Back in 1929.....................

Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    In a word, no. It's the same old story much like "they were like that when I woke up in the morning".
    If there is by any chance an optician on the Optiboard that practiced in 1929 and is still alive..............can certify that the same story was used at those times. :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    If there is by any chance an optician on the Optiboard that practiced in 1929 and is still alive..............can certify that the same story was used at those times. :D
    I dunno, but I heard that once when I worked for Monfried Optical.
    I told her to watch out because there was some man breaking into peoples' homes and breaking their glasses and you never know what else he might do. You should have seen her eyes go wide!:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I told her to watch out because there was some man breaking into peoples' homes and breaking their glasses and you never know what else he might do. You should have seen her eyes go wide!:D
    that must be the anasthesiologist i was telling you about who's patients were waking up with a cigarrette hanging out of their mouth:hammer::hammer::D:D:D
    If you don't stand up, You don't stand a chance.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    About 15 years ago we had an elderly lady who came in regularly tell us that someone broke into her house and deliberately scratched her lenses. In fact, she frequently told us stories of attempts on her home by "dope dealers".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its the eyeglass fairy!

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Hutch View Post
    About 15 years ago we had an elderly lady who came in regularly tell us that someone broke into her house and deliberately scratched her lenses. In fact, she frequently told us stories of attempts on her home by "dope dealers".
    Now thats funny
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Here's A Good One!!

We once had a "lady" come in mad because her glasses were bent because they were ,as she told us,between the mattress and the head board while...well you know! She said that they were only in there for, and I quote " a couple of minutes". After she left we wondered if she was mad that they were bent or if it was because they were in there for only a couple of minutes! :hammer:

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The jig is up...

Mom came in with son and daughter. I'd say 6 and 4 respectively.

Mom- "I don't know how they broke (Flexon X games). They're only a couple of months old."
    Me to boy- "Are you twisting them?"
    Mom and son in unison- "Oh no."

Sweet little girl- "Yes you do. ALL the time!"

Mom paid for replacement.:p

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

He saved his glasses............................

Retired customer comes into the store with a right lens broken at the drill hole of hi glass lens and asked what we could do to fix it. He was told that a new lens would be the proper procedure. He agreed to order a new lens. no warranty discussion in the old days. So we asked how did he wreak it.

Here comes the answer................He had been drinking lots of wine with 2 friends the night before. When he went to bed fully dressed the bed started to rotate and the floor did the same in an opposite direction. He decided he had to go to the toilette and felt along the walls to the washroom.
    He went on his knees and emptied the stomach and flushed with his left hand, then suddenly saw a temple of his glasses circling around a grabbed it hard with the right hand, pulled it out and lost his balance put his hand down with the glasses who the broke.

He saved his glasses...............but lost the dentures during the ordeal.

.........................:hammer:..........................

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper I had many problems with 1.6 transition breaking also!

Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    Customer bought a rimless frame with 1.6 transitions in July last year, at xmas I saw him in toys r us , his lenses were a bit loose the nuts needed tightening so I told him to pop in for me to check it all
    he came in today with one lens entirely broke and the other chipped saying it happened while he was cleaning them
    1.6 are pretty tough however do you think he might be telling the truth?
    thanks!
    Alan

ps I forgot to mention he was in toys r us with a small child (bless their hearts dont they love mummy and daddys specs!)
    We did a huge business in 1.6 transitions and it was a disaster; we non glare all lenses and there was nothing but problems with the material. It is a very brittle material and gets worse with over time. We stopped using the product and now only use Phoenix/trilogy or 1.67 on higher RX's.
    BEWARE OF 1.6 TRANSITIONS :finger:

Craig

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Allright...you caught us.

Ok, Ok!! We admit it! Me, Fezz, and Harry often get together and when the brew runs out, we break out the steel wool and break into peoples houses and scratch their lenses.:cheers:

At first, we were just doing it for fun, but then realized how it was really helping our buinesses.

Lately, I haven't been going along with them. The majic's gone, and it's starting to feel like work...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We did a huge business in 1.6 transitions and it was a disaster; we non glare all lenses and there was nothing but problems with the material. It is a very brittle material and gets worse with over time. We stopped using the product and now only use Phoenix/trilogy or 1.67 on higher RX's.
    BEWARE OF 1.6 TRANSITIONS :finger:

Craig
    The large worldwide company I got them from recommends them over poly!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Its the eyeglass fairy!
    Who the dope dealer is the eyeglass fairy. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Johns
    Ok, Ok!! We admit it! Me, Fezz, and Harry often get together and when the brew runs out, we break out the steel wool and break into peoples houses and scratch their lenses.:cheers:

At first, we were just doing it for fun, but then realized how it was really helping our buinesses.

Lately, I haven't been going along with them. The majic's gone, and it's starting to feel like work...
    Yeah me and Fezz have really been at it lately, it's the booze either they're watering it down or we're working the alcohol off on this new crizal avance stuff, anyway Johns you did always slow me and Fezz down and we moved on from just scratching lenses to working frames over as well, heck every now and again I look in the corner of the room and Fezz is even beating the dog up.
    Last edited by HarryChiling; 03-15-2008 at 04:54 PM.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by apaul View Post
    The large worldwide company I got them from recommends them over poly!
    Anything is better than poly!! Trivex and 1.67 (MR-7 or MR-10) are the best.

Occupation
    Its the eyeglass fairy!
    Uh-oh, caught again ;) I was just trying to come up with some more business.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I once had a lady take her new, and very expensive glasses home. They felt a bit tight on one ear, so she decided to "adjust" them herself, She broke one temple. She then tried to crazy-glue it back together, but got glue on her high-index progressives. Whats the best way to remove crazy-glue from lenses? Well it aint steel wool, but thats what she used.(what other kind of glue would a crazy-lady use, anyway?)she completely ruined the entire pair of glasses in less than 2 hours from new.:finger:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I once had a lady take her new, and very expensive glasses home. They felt a bit tight on one ear, so she decided to "adjust" them herself, She broke one temple. She then tried to crazy-glue it back together, but got glue on her high-index progressives. Whats the best way to remove crazy-glue from lenses? Well it aint steel wool, but thats what she used.(what other kind of glue would a crazy-lady use, anyway?)she completely ruined the entire pair of glasses in less than 2 hours from new.:finger:
    I've had a couple people try to remove scratches with steel wool, too.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Honest! We have had people get glue on their lenses and try to remove it with a knife or razor blade.Of course they end up carving halfway though their lenses.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Its the eyeglass fairy!

I gotta tell you Jaqui looks alot better in a pink tutu and tights then me, Fezz, and Johns. Talk about a traumatic experience that's why I drink to black out the thought of Fezz in pink tights.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quote direct from said Krazy Ladee!

"You will replace these under that warranty that you told me you had....RIGHT? These are covered aren't they?"
    Last edited by Fezz; 03-17-2008 at 12:53 PM. Reason: People are people!

Occupation
    [pong]:hammer: I just opened the case and they were like that. :hammer:[/pong]

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As far as I know Acetone is the only thing that will remove crazy glue from anything. Your'e probally SOL if the lenses are poly.

Chip

Thread Information