Thread: Aspheric vs Non-Aspheric PALs

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Aspheric vs Non-Aspheric PALs

So I was reading over an insurance document that has an additional copay for "aspheric" progressives. Specifically it makes the assertion that "many Poly Progressives are only available in Aspheric design."

My brain says:

1. All PALs are aspheric from distance to near
    2. Some are not aspheric in the distance (Comfort)

I assume this is where they are attempting to make a distinction. Is there a resource where I can find out what PALs are aspheric distance vs non-aspheric distance?

Thanks kids!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are two websites by fellow Optiboarders that have an in-depth progressive identifier. They don't list aspheric or not, but they are very good resources.

Try:

www.thelensguru.com

and

http://www.laramyk.com/tools.html

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have been a fan of lensguru for quite some time - and the other I discovered this week, thankfully!

They have more patience than I do! *ADHD*

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

spheical PALs

Quote Originally Posted by allanon View Post
    So I was reading over an insurance document that has an additional copay for "aspheric" progressives. Specifically it makes the assertion that "many Poly Progressives are only available in Aspheric design."

My brain says:

I assume this is where they are attempting to make a distinction. Is there a resource where I can find out what PALs are aspheric distance vs non-aspheric distance?

Thanks kids!
    Any PAL must be aspheric. You can not have a front and back spheriical curve that forms a lens that is also multifocal.

Aspheric means not-spherical

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    Any PAL must be aspheric. You can not have a front and back spheriical curve that forms a lens that is also multifocal.

Aspheric means not-spherical
    AWTECH, you are technically 100% right, however, I fear this thread is doomed from the beginning as the original posters intention seems again to be based on the fuzzy marketing usage of therms like spherical, aspherical, atoric and on a similar base "free form", where "quality" is assumed to always increase from the former to the latter.

Even if there cannot be a fully spherical PAL I for for example would like the distance portion of my "free forms" from a large german company to be more "spherical", as I note unnecessary power rise, distortion and blurring *above* the main segment, which must be an artifact from design and or manufacturing (actually you can see such behaviour in many published power and/or cylinder maps too). So far for "theory and practice"!

Somehow reminds me of an inhouse joke our company has: Not only do we have a few products that are based on an aspherical design, but we can actually *assure* to any costumer that each lens het gets is (at least slightly) aspherical!
    :D

小卫

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My brain says:

I assume this is where they are attempting to make a distinction.
    Aspheric PAL: (take a deep breath) an easier way to describe a PAL that uses flatter non-best form BCs and incorporates some type and degree of asphericity to compensate for the induced off-axis power and astigmatic errors.

As you know, lenses with flatter than normal BCs have less magnification/minification, sag depth, weight, and thickness.

Is there a resource where I can find out what PALs are aspheric distance vs non-aspheric distance?
    None that I'm aware of, except for the power/BC charts supplied by the lens manufacturers.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    It sounds like to me that the insurance company is making an arbitrary determination in order to lower the fees for some individuals. I'm going to call them and see what canned answer I get.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sounds like to me that the insurance company is making an arbitrary determination in order to lower the fees for some individuals. I'm going to call them and see what canned answer I get.
    Robert is right. The context you are speaking tells us a lot. When dealing with insurance, they are talking about costs, of course.

The "aspheric" PALs that they are talking about are newer designs and are more expensive. They may or may not be better, but this is a way to differentiate between cost vs quality. It may be arbitury, but you have to differentiate between a Concord and a Physio 360 in some way.

Are you supposed to charge the client more for an "aspheric" design? I belive it is a way for the eyewear provider to collect more money for a lens that costs more. Image = spherical. Ovation = Aspheric. I'm guessing - that's just an example.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Are you supposed to charge the client more for an "aspheric" design? I belive it is a way for the eyewear provider to collect more money for a lens that costs more. Image = spherical. Ovation = Aspheric. I'm guessing - that's just an example.
    The addon ranges from $58 to $115 for "Aspheric and Atoric Designs" depending on the material. This is one of those places in business where the line between following the rules and being unscrupulous are easily confused.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always thought a PAL was aspheric by definition.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this much, several labs have told me this, that the reason Sola Vip's photogrey is darker is because it is non-aspheric design. It is true that photogrey extra are darker in VIPS than comforts or panamics, or any other PAL that I have attempted to order photogrey extra in.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As I recall the first front surface aspheric progressive was introduced in 1995 as the Kodak lens. Since that time almost all new progressives (except AO Compact and a few others) are considered to be aspheric.

FYI, the front surface of many of the new free form or digital progressives are spherical in design. Why? Because they start with a semi-finished, spherical, single vision lens, and the back is "digitally" surfaced. The following lens products are examples of this process: Varilux Ipseo, Zeiss Gradal Individual, SOLA HDv, SOLAOne HD, Compact ULTRA HD, AO EasyHD, Kodak Unique, EyeMade, Succeed, Autograph, and Mulitgressiv MyView.*

* This information has been widely reported in the industry.
    Last edited by Bill Mahnke; 02-21-2008 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Additional details provided

Thread Information