Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What line would you start out with?

Occupation
    Optometrist

What line would you start out with?

Our office is still a young office... and 90% of our frames are less than $224 retail.
    If you were to chose a high end, mainstream, designer line, which of these lines would you start with, and why?
    1) Gucci
    2) Dolce and Gabanna
    3) Coach
    4) Fendi
    5) Dior
    6) Prada

edit: I'm looking for something that would appeal to the "brand" conscious people here in California. yes, I know about LaFont, Prodesign, and Koali. Lets just keep the discussion to the 6 lines listed above.
    Last edited by DrNeyecare; 02-03-2008 at 05:04 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Anything NOT made by LUX or Safilo !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    None of the above!

These lines are owned by the BigBoy Opticals.

You know how I feel about the BigBoy Opticals.

What sets you apart if you sell these brands like every other optical shop who thinks they are selling *high-end*?

I don't see much life in those mentioned lines. The only one line that I seldom get asked about is Coach. I tell those that ask, that I would rather not sell them over priced merchandise that doesn't warrant the cost. Those that need an EGO boost scatter and buy them elsewhere. Those that understand what I told them appreciate my candor and realize what I am all about.

My area seems to be:
    1.) Gucci-Dead on arrival. This brand has died a long time ago in my area.
    2.) Dolce and Gabanna-It seems like the females in the mid 20's-early 30's seem to *need* this line. Unfortunately, most want to buy them online and don't want to pay *retail*.
    3.) Coach-I mentioned that this is a line that I am asked about. I can only look at my bottom line and realize that I don't want to compete on price with the other Coach sellers in my area. Which, by the way, is way too many! High end? How can it be high-end if 7 out of 10 local opticals can carry it? Maybe I am missing something?
    4.) Fendi-You are kidding right? I feel that the Fendi line would struggle with the image of its early, garrish, gaudy styles. I looked at them last fall. Silly prices for silly frames.
    5.) Dior-Another Safilo brand that I think has seen its day. Of course in an area with shallow, egotistic, delusional clients...it may fly?
    6.) Prada-Isn't this a Luxotticca product? Whats to keep LensPearleCrafters from undercutting you every step of the way?

High-end is not always name brand, designer, cookie cutter eyewear. High end is much, much more.

Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNeyecare View Post
    Our office is still a young office... and 90% of our frames are less than $224 retail.
    If you were to chose a high end, mainstream, designer line, which of these three would you start with, and why?
    1) Gucci
    2) Dolce and Gabanna
    3) Coach
    4) Fendi
    5) Dior
    6) Prada
    You mentioned six and asked for which of "these three," so perhaps you mean which 1.5 lines out of three?
    I'll assume it was a typo, so here's the best answer you'll get--promise.
    First off, the key info you left out was your customer demographics. How new or old your office is, and what your average price is, has nothing to do with it.
    Second, Fezz seems to have a problem with designer lines in general, which is fine. If you want to sell "frame quality" to old men, there is indeed a niche for that.
    So with that out of the way, here's the answer assuming you're in a decent area with an average 150k household.
    Coach sells like mad to the women. Coach would be the first line I would shoot for, especially considering your "average" price point.
    Prada is great and none of their frames are tacky.
    Gucci is iffy...It sells well to affluent African-Americans, but it's also stolen often by less affluent African-Americans so keep it locked up.
    I find Fendi tacky, as Fezz said, so I wouldn't worry about it too much for right now.
    HOWEVER...The lines you didn't mention are the ones I think you need.
    Armani (not AX, not Emporio), Versace, and Fred are designs that were in style and will always be in style.
    For cheap designer looks, the Vera Wang and Jhane Barnes from Kenmark are excellent.
    You'll hear a lot on this one from bitter opticians who sell based on frame "quality," and it's about as useful as advice suggesting a clothing retailer make decisions based on how long the rivets in the jeans will hold out under stress.
    If you make the mistake of ignoring designer lines and sell based on frame "quality," you're gonna be replacing lenses in that frame you bragged about yesterday ten years down the road.
    Normal people replace clothing and accessories even though they still function. Normal people want to look good and be fashionable.
    Any of the lines you mentioned are great. Sell eyewear as fashion and you won't go wrong.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Koali or Prodesign or Lafont - These won't stretch your price too much. Really different and colorful. I carry Koali but not the others because I think it would compete w/ Kaoli. Oga is the companion line for men.

Maybe Neostyle. Some of the highest quality. Really different. It gets peoples attention. We don't carry it, but are thinking.

Try-Change from Allison. I bet every one that we have sold has resulted in a referal of at least one other client. We also sell about $400/week in extra temples to clients that have already bought specs. That is mostly self-service sales.
    http://www.tryeyewear.com/trychange/english/popup.html

Another one you might think about is Plume from Best Image. They are different, hand-painted, made in France. They cost less than some of your current lines, but mark them at whatever you think you can get.

Shibumi and Exottica from EyeLevel Corp. Others have seen my post about this before. A few steps up from the ones you named. Platinum and Gold with or without wood or horn. All drill mounts. We retail them from $400 to $600 with horn being the most expensive. We don't sell a lot, but it makes our Koali look cheap.

I agree w/ Fezz. I have thought a lot about all those you named (except the Lux stuff) and don't carry any of them. I don't think the name brands are worth it.

The consultants would say that you need a line above the $229 price point that you have now. And then you need a line that makes your new $300-$400 frames look cheap. Like $1000 or even higher. I don't have anything like that, but I can't imagine anything higher quality than the EyeLevel stuff in platinum and horn. I guess you could put diamonds on them.
    Last edited by MarcE; 02-03-2008 at 04:45 PM. Reason: just thought about Plume

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Feel the love!

Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    I agree w/ Fezz. I have thought a lot about all those you named (except the Lux stuff) and don't carry any of them. I don't think the name brands are worth it.

What's not to love about what Brother Fezz is saying!

Want a $229 & up line? Go into your dispensary, find the nicest line you have, and charge $229 for it.

Now that was easy wasn't it?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Definitely Chanel. Looks like the company is really working hard on developing partnerships with its dispensaries.

Now that the humour is done, depends on the market I am trying to go after.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Okay, then let me rephrase....

If you were in an area that had to deal with people that are heavily brand conscious, which of the lines from above would you start out with. just pick one. Yes, I know, here, in California, every office has at least a 3 of these lines. That's how it is here in California. People want branding.

I have already invested in Prodesign. And I will be seeing the Koali rep in February. I have a handful of lines already that sets me apart. However, despite these lines, we still get asked, do you have Gucci or Prada or D&G, etc.... and we would say no.... the patient still buys what we have, b/c I like to believe my staff is good at selling what we have... but I still feel like we need at least one of these "big boy" brands to offer our patients.

Admittedly, I can't invest in 2-3 or these lines, like the offices around me do, but I would like at least one.

So....without asking me to analyze/evaluate what everyone else around me has... and without bashing the "big boys," in your experience, which line would you first bring into your own office.... and please just keep your opinion to the 6 I listed....
    And please, no bashing!!!!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can say that "What's your sign?" and "Don't I know you from somewhere?" never worked for me. "Those are the loveliest eyes I have ever seen." works some times because at least she thinks you aren't looking at her breast all the time.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So....without asking me to analyze/evaluate what everyone else around me has... and without bashing the "big boys," in your experience, which line would you first bring into your own office.... and please just keep your opinion to the 6 I listed....
    And please, no bashing!!!!
    Ok then. Coach.
    The other shoppers are just wasting your time. They won't buy anyway.

BTW, we looked into Coach. THey won't let us carry it until someone gives it up. I guess the market is saturated because everyone in Kansas City has it. Yet no one has it between KC and Tulsa. Go figure.

I didn't do any bashing, did I??
    Last edited by MarcE; 02-03-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul E. Carbonate View Post
    You mentioned six and asked for which of "these three," so perhaps you mean which 1.5 lines out of three?
    I'll assume it was a typo, so here's the best answer you'll get--promise.
    First off, the key info you left out was your customer demographics. How new or old your office is, and what your average price is, has nothing to do with it.
    Second, Fezz seems to have a problem with designer lines in general, which is fine. If you want to sell "frame quality" to old men, there is indeed a niche for that.
    So with that out of the way, here's the answer assuming you're in a decent area with an average 150k household.
    Coach sells like mad to the women. Coach would be the first line I would shoot for, especially considering your "average" price point.
    Prada is great and none of their frames are tacky.
    Gucci is iffy...It sells well to affluent African-Americans, but it's also stolen often by less affluent African-Americans so keep it locked up.
    I find Fendi tacky, as Fezz said, so I wouldn't worry about it too much for right now.
    HOWEVER...The lines you didn't mention are the ones I think you need.
    Armani (not AX, not Emporio), Versace, and Fred are designs that were in style and will always be in style.
    For cheap designer looks, the Vera Wang and Jhane Barnes from Kenmark are excellent.
    You'll hear a lot on this one from bitter opticians who sell based on frame "quality," and it's about as useful as advice suggesting a clothing retailer make decisions based on how long the rivets in the jeans will hold out under stress.
    If you make the mistake of ignoring designer lines and sell based on frame "quality," you're gonna be replacing lenses in that frame you bragged about yesterday ten years down the road.
    Normal people replace clothing and accessories even though they still function. Normal people want to look good and be fashionable.
    Any of the lines you mentioned are great. Sell eyewear as fashion and you won't go wrong.
    Thanks for your comments. This is the kind of stuff I wanted to hear. LOL! I thought of Prada first. I think its the most diverse, fashionable, and not too much of a "niche" line like D&G.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    None of the above!

These lines are owned by the BigBoy Opticals.

You know how I feel about the BigBoy Opticals.

What sets you apart if you sell these brands like every other optical shop who thinks they are selling *high-end*?

I don't see much life in those mentioned lines. The only one line that I seldom get asked about is Coach. I tell those that ask, that I would rather not sell them over priced merchandise that doesn't warrant the cost. Those that need an EGO boost scatter and buy them elsewhere. Those that understand what I told them appreciate my candor and realize what I am all about.

My area seems to be:
    1.) Gucci-Dead on arrival. This brand has died a long time ago in my area.
    2.) Dolce and Gabanna-It seems like the females in the mid 20's-early 30's seem to *need* this line. Unfortunately, most want to buy them online and don't want to pay *retail*.
    3.) Coach-I mentioned that this is a line that I am asked about. I can only look at my bottom line and realize that I don't want to compete on price with the other Coach sellers in my area. Which, by the way, is way too many! High end? How can it be high-end if 7 out of 10 local opticals can carry it? Maybe I am missing something?
    4.) Fendi-You are kidding right? I feel that the Fendi line would struggle with the image of its early, garrish, gaudy styles. I looked at them last fall. Silly prices for silly frames.
    5.) Dior-Another Safilo brand that I think has seen its day. Of course in an area with shallow, egotistic, delusional clients...it may fly?
    6.) Prada-Isn't this a Luxotticca product? Whats to keep LensPearleCrafters from undercutting you every step of the way?

High-end is not always name brand, designer, cookie cutter eyewear. High end is much, much more.

Good luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Oh Fezzy... I knew you were going to be harsh on this one! LOL!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcE View Post
    Ok then. Coach.
    The other shoppers are just wasting your time. They won't buy anyway.

I guess I shouldn't have listed Coach. I love their line for women, but I don't think they have much to offer for men.... def not as diverse as Prada or Gucci.
    Plus, the rep told me they're no longer opening accounts. :(

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Anything NOT made by LUX or Safilo !!

Funny thing.... everyone around me are loaded with Safilo and Marchon.
    In all honesty, the offices around me dont' carry Lux....
    So, maybe the answer would be Prada?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Odd you say this, I don't think I have ever seen a man wearing Prada or Gucci. They have things for men?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Funny thing.... everyone around me are loaded with Safilo and Marchon.
    In all honesty, the offices around me dont' carry Lux....
    So, maybe the answer would be Prada?
    Question is, what happens if you stock up on Prada and then receive a letter from Luxottica to cease and desist the dispensing of their frames, as Lux has decided you are not worthy enough to carry its products.

What will be the result to your business?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Odd you say this, I don't think I have ever seen a man wearing Prada or Gucci. They have things for men?
    LOL, this is California. we have tons of "pretty boys" like Ryan Seacrest everywhere. Termed, "metro." These guys love Prada, Gucci, Paul Smith, Ted Baker... that kind of stuff...
    But yes, Prada and Gucci do make stuff for guys... :bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh Fezzy... I knew you were going to be harsh on this one! LOL!

LOL!!!

I actually tempered my response!

You should see what I originally wrote!

;)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    i thought someone told me Lux aint opening new accounts for any of there lines anymore...is that true?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    No. Its false. A prada rep came by the other day to ask if I was interseted in opening an account.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are probably interested since you mentioned that no-one really is carrying the Lux product.

Of course, there are those who say you shouldn't support your competition, and others who state if it moves and you make money..sell it.

The concerns with Lux is helping them expand and people who have been in partnership with them being forced to quit selling the line once someone at homeoffice deams another account to be more worthy of the line.

Cassandra
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    DrN,

I would suggest going to the websites of your suggested lines and see who has each of those lines locally. Local reps aren't going to upset present accounts by opening new local ones.

In this area, Coach says they aren't opening new accounts, but I suspect it is because they have enough in the area.

Bottom line, ask your customers what they want, and keep a list to perhaps have a trunk show when you start a new line.

Being in New england, I have no idea what So. Cal wants. For cars the locals love jeeps, saabs, and subarus. Don't see any of those in So. Cal.

Harry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would suggest that you take a real hard look at the dollars involved. What line could you bring in that has as good or better styling, quality, sizes, adn will set you apart. Could you bring in something better, something more *exclusive*, something more unique at less money?

I think you could! Don't be afraid to be different. How many other offices did that same Prada rep visit that day asking the same questions? How many bit? Re-read For-Life's fantastic post! Head over to the Professionals only and re-read Barry Santini's posts. There is a guy who is blowing product out the door. He is essentially supporting them, and they yanked the carpet right out from under him!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, then let me rephrase....

If you were in an area that had to deal with people that are heavily brand conscious, which of the lines from above would you start out with. just pick one. Yes, I know, here, in California, every office has at least a 3 of these lines. That's how it is here in California. People want branding.

I can't say for sure, because I don't live there. But, I don't know if I would base my buying totally on branded product. You see.....brands and the people who chase them are like a fickle lover. You are always trying to please them, but thier needs, wants and desires are always changing. You know what I mean. This week D&G is THE IN THING. Next week it may be more dead than seven week old roadkill. Then what? Your stuck with $****** of product that isn't hip!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-04-2008 at 09:15 AM.

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just found out that Prada is going exclusive! Minimum 72 pieces/year to stay active. We are going to drop it this summer.

I have also had great luck with the Koali and Öga lines from Morel. We sell Koali frames about 2 to 1 to Prada with only about a $50 difference @ retail.

Just adding my 2 cents.

Thread Information