Thread: Italee and 2.5 adhesive

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Eyez53's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Italee and 2.5 adhesive

We have been having a lot of problems with the adhesion of the frame parts to the lenses breaking loose. They say we must return the entire pair to have re glued. Does anyone have any idea what the "glue" is they use or maybe you have a substitute that won't crack the lenses? Patients are not happy with loosing their $$$ specs for 2 weeks.

Thanks--annieM:angry:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check with Chris Ryser. He's a member here. I believe his web site is http://optochemicals.com/. I'm sure he can fix you up with something.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try Breitfeld & Schliekert at:

www.sight-tools.com

They have several adhesives that may work!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nothing more exotic than crazy glue. I have used it for a couple of years on 2.5 with no problems. Just put a spot around the post and re-mount. I was nervous about crazy glue on poly but its been no problem. One of Italee's customer service people reccomended it a few years ago .

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    terrible company. arrogant and their frames break all the time. worse yet you cant do any lab work on them even though their work is so shoddy. i love the look but it was the first frame company i dropped after i opened. Losers. Wow, did i say that out loud.. drop em dude.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

After this issue happened may times, called the rep up and explained if we have to keep sending these things back, we are going to be sending entire line back, low and behold, glue arrived, they did rip label off. They think this glue is like the secret sauce in the Big Mac.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

loctite 4850

Quote Originally Posted by Eyez53 View Post
    We have been having a lot of problems with the adhesion of the frame parts to the lenses breaking loose. They say we must return the entire pair to have re glued. Does anyone have any idea what the "glue" is they use or maybe you have a substitute that won't crack the lenses? Patients are not happy with loosing their $$$ specs for 2 weeks.

Thanks--annieM:angry:
    We use loctite 4850 (only available in Europe) you can get it from Lindberg...it works great gluing lenses to frames etc..Gary

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

UV Adhesive

Try a UV Curing Adhesive like Lindberg uses (call Scuba Optics and ask for the Magnaclear kit. it contains the glue your gonna need). Saddly I haven't found any of these 'Glued ' frames that stay together. My wifes Lindbergs fell apart so often I refused to carry them when we opened our store.

2 Moths open and still going!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Absolutely the worst optical I have ever used. They have no idea what they were doing. They lost a patient's frame and took no responsibility for it. I sent the lab two jobs and only one came back. Ridiculous. When I asked to speak with Amy Hahn VP, I was told by an employee at Italee, she would not care. That speaks volumes for the company. Stay far away from Italee and you will never have to worry about the glue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Surprised to read about glue failure, our optical has the line since '04. Rarely have problems, patients very loyal, 2.5 extremely comfortable. I own 4 pair, love the weightless feel & cable temple.
    Have 2 pr swissflex as office progressive over cl. Good to know about glue should problem arise.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with VisionBoutique. We're having some terrible service and quality issues. They don't call about back orders, don't take responsibility when they break something, and the last time my rep was in, he couldn't care less about the job on its 4th remake cause the lab kept screwing up. I'm dumping them in January.

My favorite part about carrying these is when the bridge snaps on a PAL with a -2.50+ cyl and the patient has no back ups. Since I've sold them this crap, it's now all my fault and of course I have no stock lenses to make a backup.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanlook View Post
    We use loctite 4850 (only available in Europe) you can get it from Lindberg...it works great gluing lenses to frames etc..Gary
    Can you get me a phone # to lindberg I would like to get this glue and try it

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Use the uv glue from lindberg. Lindberg has two glues. One is good for poly and the other will crack it.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    800-386-9196 You will get forward to denmark. its denmark time.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lindberg will not sell you without an account; I can get it for you, but we are a huge Lindberg dealer and use a US version of the Locktite. Lindberg does suggest the UV glue, but we have no problems with the Locktite and us it on everything. It is actually a medical glue that can be used for cuts as well.
    I can get exact number later if you are interested.
    Craig

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Lindberg will not sell you without an account; I can get it for you, but we are a huge Lindberg dealer and use a US version of the Locktite. Lindberg does suggest the UV glue, but we have no problems with the Locktite and us it on everything. It is actually a medical glue that can be used for cuts as well.
    I can get exact number later if you are interested.
    Craig
    I'm interested. Please email or PM me, Craig.

Thanks

Barry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I know this is an old thread, but if you use Loctite or Krazy Glue, how do you disassemble the frame to put new lenses in without breaking the frame?

Also, anyone have a drill chart for one of their frames? I've got a patient that wants lenses changed but we don't (and won't) set up an account with Italee.

Thanks!
    -Steve

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can cut it and mount if we have the pin colors. Let me know what color and why you cannot just copy the hole placement.
    CRaig

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I guess I just wanted to know the hole sizes (and spacing if there are multiple holes or notches).

Thread Information