Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which AR do you like?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Which AR do you like?

What is your favorite AR Coat? I love the Alize. I have great success with it and the patients seem to do well with it. Any Suggestions? :idea:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Synergy, great price, great coating.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Crystal!

Banned
    Occupation
    Teflon

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Acclaro

Colts rates it quite a bit better than Alize

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Teflon is a frying pan coating and toxic at that (no offense). We use Crizal or Alize or whatever in house coating our lab can get to us fast if need be with a one year warranty attached.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Any coating that's not made by the Evil Empire

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    Crystal!
    Forgive me I never heard of this one.
    Who makes it?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Synergy 2 year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Harry you and I do think on the same scale!!! For the price the customer gets a great coating and a 2 year warranty.

P.S. Where is the cheers ICON? Is this site getting lame?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I used Synergy for about 1 1/2 years. The patients didn't seem to do well and there was a lot of crazing. We do a lot of Medicare and this ins. does not pay for much but we can seem to upgrade most of the patients. The Doctor also mentions to the patient about it and that always seems to help with upgrade. Thanks ;)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Teflon is a frying pan coating and toxic at that (no offense). We use Crizal or Alize or whatever in house coating our lab can get to us fast if need be with a one year warranty attached.
    Not trying to be offensive, what does the toxicity have to do with it since the coating is on the lens. It is dry, no fumes, and the patient does not eat it. What is the harm? I would assume that all the coatings are toxic at one point in the process.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Colts rates it quite a bit better than Alize
    Have you ever heard of Cobalt? A new lab opened in Ft. Lauderdale and of course that is their in house coating which they claim is the best and you can get it done the same day and in your delivery the next day. I have not really tried it.

Banned
    Occupation
    My eggs don't stick!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ERFLORIDA View Post
    Not trying to be offensive, what does the toxicity have to do with it since the coating is on the lens. It is dry, no fumes, and the patient does not eat it. What is the harm? I would assume that all the coatings are toxic at one point in the process.
    Mental association.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mental association.
    For who? The dispensing Optician or the patient? Just curious.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    My eggs don't stick!
    From what I understand about Teflon AR, the coating is not made of teflon but they just put their name on it. It is actually a Zeiss product. I don't know too much about since I don't use it. I also don't really use the Zeiss products too much. I have my other favorites I like to use.

Allen Weatherby
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Ar Processing

I will give you a short overview of AR and quality. First and formost the process needs to done by qualified people who have procedures in place to consistantly duplicate the AR. (You need this so you don't get your 1st 10 jobs looking great and the next 10 with issues).

The reason Crizal is so successful and can be applied by many approved labs is the quality control Essilor puts behind this.

The basic components that produce a great AR are the correct hard coating to insure proper bonding of the first layer of the AR that is applied in a vacuum chamber. The combination of low index material and high index material, applied in a vacuum chamber, in layers is the actual AR. The proper thickness of each layer is critical to the performance of the AR. Then the top needs to have a hydrophobic treatment to cover up the basic very very fine surface roughness of the AR.

The name Teflon is just a licensed product and does not contain the actual material Teflon. Dupont started licensing their trade name Teflon years ago for verious application. Smart move on Duponts part and smart move on Zeiss.

The AR my company ICE-TECH developed was developed to match the best of the best and we succeeded but we are not big enough to offer this on any lenses other than our own. So for our digitally surfaced products we provide an AR to match our hard coatings and topped with our super hydrophobic.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Politics of AR coatings.................

Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post
    I will give you a short overview of AR and quality. First and formost the process needs to done by qualified people who have procedures in place to consistantly duplicate the AR. (You need this so you don't get your 1st 10 jobs looking great and the next 10 with issues).
    AWTECH has given you the perfect answer, all I can add is some political points...............................

I love these discussions on Optiboard of who is better, who has the better name, .....that one is toxic because of its name, that one falls to pieces and is crazing........but they all have beautiful catchy names for the same products containing the same ingredients applied with the same basic equipment.

Lets make one thing clear, the optical is one of the smallest users of vacuum applied coatings, there many more industries that provide manifold more products that have this type coating applied on their products.
    Furthermore there maybe about not one quarter of glasses sold that contain an AR coating.

Then comes the advertising hype. As AR coatings are a very profitable venture for the suppliers, some of the older well established ones can afford to highly publicize their products to wards the public and therefore apply brainwash tactics that have been very successful.
    I am still wondering why not yet one of them has come up with a successful brand name besides the Sola deal for the Teflon name, which actually has nothing to do with AR coatings.

References:
    http://optochemicals.com/periodic_table.htm+

http://optochemicals.com/ARcoating_principle1.htm

http://optochemicals.com/vacuumcoatingmaterials1.htm

Furthermore in my own domain one of the better selling products is the AR Stripper (the least dangerous product of all of them).
    If a product sells as well it is surely used for its purpose and not for drinks at cocktail hour.
    The largest users are coating labs.......maybe after quality control to redo a lens or they get lenses back under warranty. And the of course the retailer are using them, and they must have one reason or another for that purpose. :hammer:

Banned
    Occupation
    From what I understand about Teflon AR, the coating is not made of teflon but they just put their name on it. It is actually a Zeiss product. I don't know too much about since I don't use it. I also don't really use the Zeiss products too much. I have my other favorites I like to use.
    It's just a brand name. The ones I had were on a Spectralite Solamax. It was the "artic blue" and the best AR I've ever had as far as durability and function. I have not had easy availability of the Essilor products until recently. I don't like the fuzzy in the distance portion of most of their products. Maybe I'll order a pair next week.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For who? The dispensing Optician or the patient? Just curious.
    The dispensing optician. :o

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AWTECH View Post

The reason Crizal is so successful and can be applied by many approved labs is the quality control Essilor puts behind this.

The basic components that produce a great AR are the correct hard coating to insure proper bonding of the first layer of the AR that is applied in a vacuum chamber. The combination of low index material and high index material, applied in a vacuum chamber, in layers is the actual AR. The proper thickness of each layer is critical to the performance of the AR. Then the top needs to have a hydrophobic treatment to cover up the basic very very fine surface roughness of the AR.

The name Teflon is just a licensed product and does not contain the actual material Teflon. Dupont started licensing their trade name Teflon years ago for verious application. Smart move on Duponts part and smart move on Zeiss.

The AR my company ICE-TECH developed was developed to match the best of the best and we succeeded but we are not big enough to offer this on any lenses other than our own. So for our digitally surfaced products we provide an AR to match our hard coatings and topped with our super hydrophobic.
    Can I get a CE credit for this? :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's just a brand name. The ones I had were on a Spectralite Solamax. It was the "artic blue" and the best AR I've ever had as far as durability and function. I have not had easy availability of the Essilor products until recently. I don't like the fuzzy in the distance portion of most of their products. Maybe I'll order a pair next week.
    Do try!!!! You never know until you try them.:D

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    AWTECH has given you the perfect answer, all I can add is some political points...............................

I love these discussions on Optiboard of who is better, who has the better name, .....that one is toxic because of its name, that one falls to pieces and is crazing........but they all have beautiful catchy names for the same products containing the same ingredients applied with the same basic equipment.

Lets make one thing clear, the optical is one of the smallest users of vacuum applied coatings, there many more industries that provide manifold more products that have this type coating applied on their products.
    Furthermore there maybe about not one quarter of glasses sold that contain an AR coating.

Then comes the advertising hype. As AR coatings are a very profitable venture for the suppliers, some of the older well established ones can afford to highly publicize their products to wards the public and therefore apply brainwash tactics that have been very successful.
    I am still wondering why not yet one of them has come up with a successful brand name besides the Sola deal for the Teflon name, which actually has nothing to do with AR coatings.

References:
    http://optochemicals.com/periodic_table.htm+

http://optochemicals.com/ARcoating_principle1.htm

http://optochemicals.com/vacuumcoatingmaterials1.htm

Furthermore in my own domain one of the better selling products is the AR Stripper (the least dangerous product of all of them).
    If a product sells as well it is surely used for its purpose and not for drinks at cocktail hour.
    The largest users are coating labs.......maybe after quality control to redo a lens or they get lenses back under warranty. And the of course the retailer are using them, and they must have one reason or another for that purpose. :hammer:
    Thanks for all the info. About six years ago I had AR Stripper in my office. The bottle never came with handling instructions or dispose instructions. I was very cautious and used Latex gloves and in a well ventilated area. I called it Cancer in a bottle. I never worked with it again. I have asked the lab how they use the AR stripper. They said the same way. What can you tell me about it since you said it is the least dangerous.? Thanks:idea:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My eggs don't stick!
    I use Pam!:)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Any coating that's not made by the Evil Empire
    I was looking where you are from. Frostbite Falls? Is that a real city?
    Here in Florida we have a city named Jupiter. When people first move here and they here of Jupiter Florida, they really don't believe it. I usually have to pull a map to show them. Many laugh and make jokes. Start naming the planets for city's. Maybe we should be the candy bar state. Milky Way, Mars. You'd be surprised how many seem like they are from these planets in Florida. It is fun!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information